Bodega Bay - January 2022

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
This trip was a quick two night visit to the northern California coast. The Lady talked me into it. The story and photos are posted to our blog and you may find it here -

Bodega Bay - January 2022

Take your shoes off, feel the sand, smell the old salt sea, hear the cry of gulls...........

We hope you enjoy!

billharr said:
Fine report, we love the coast. But a campground and no mountains Ski might have Sierra withdrawal.
Yes Bill, we need to make concessions to visit Bodega. It is very nerve racking to see so many people, let alone make that drive on freeways to get there. We survived and it was worth it. Thanks for the kind comment. :)

Lighthawk said:
A wonderful get away with good friends on the California coast. That does beat looking at snow every day!
Yes, it was a shock to see ground bare of snow and even some green as we dropped below Placerville. It was a fun short trip. Thanks for the nice comment. :)

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
What a magical place,we enjoy our visits to our coast.
Lots of special places.
Thanks for the wonderful photos.

Sure was a relief from the snow.

Thanks for the report.
Frank
Yes Frank, the northern coast has so many special aspects! Thanks for the nice comments and following along on our adventures. :)

fish more said:
The Bodega Head is a awesome area to check out the coast, just too many people, but worth the visit.
Yes it is, fish more! It is a speculator chunk of coast line, and yes it is usually busy. And watch out for the blackbirds too!

late too the thread but a good one Ski. I have driven there waayyyy back on a motorcycle and then back east.... My brother lives in Bay area Alameda island is a marine mechanic... so worked there a bit too.... when we visited it was always so unique in that there are few places like it on the north shore for safe harbor ... makes it that much more special. Great photos captured it well. So glad you were brave to jump out there ...we are still hemmed in here in the NE... hunkered

thx for the excellent report. nice to see u can change it up.
we stayed up in bolinas (airbnb), a few years ago, and did a bunch of hiking in pt reyes nat'l seashore. its a fantastic place, with some nice beaches, great hikes out the point, views, elk, etc.
you two would enjoy the scenery of pt reyes, and i was surprised at the low amount of people - since it was so close to SF. dont know of camping, but i am sure you could figure out
keep up the good work.

Excellent report on a beautiful locale. Thanks for sharing. I like to think of the pacific coast as monotony that changes all the time! You always know what to expect at the coast, but we are always surprised, and delighted, by several new or unexpected things.

I'm a pretty poor planner, so I've NEVER been able to drive up and get a campsite on the jetty at Bodega Bay. Looking to remedy my 'shortcoming', I ventured off to their website to see what was available in the upcoming weeks. I was specifically looking at the Jetty Campground for a two night campsite, one that looked south towards the bay (see attached map). Heck, if I'm going to try this planning thing, I might as well get what I think I want!

The 'good' sites were pretty much booked, even through Thanksgiving 2022. Yikes! But I perservered and a found one for Feb 14-16 - as usual, early weekdays are best for availability.

Thanks for the kick in the butt, ski3pin!

Gussie, you are welcome and enjoy your stay. Talking with folks at Doran we learned the reason for no more "first come first served" for the unreserved campsites was the fights that broke out between competing campers to claim open sites. Park staff were dealing with hostile situations. Another example of how rude our fellow citizens have become.

Good news is that online reservations are available for the next day. A week ago Saturday Julie and I decided to see if we could get a site for the following Sunday night, several were open and we scored. Another trip report in the works. :)

Back
Top Bottom