Bodie Earthquake

I’ll bet the folks in Benton felt it. Back in the 80s/90s there were a series of shakes in the Mammoth area that we “rode out”. Definitely a different ride compared to what we get down south. A very sharp jolt, due to bedrock? I’m sure the geologists out there can weigh in.

Hope no damage or injuries to anybody.

I’ve spent most of my life recreating in that area (and still do). My parents took me to Bodie in 1962 and from then on, I was hooked on the region. In the early 1980’s, I worked in and around the Long Valley caldera studying the earthquake swarm that hit the area in the Spring of 1980. Anyway, I’d bet that this latest eq is part of the long term, on-going lateral displacement occurring between the Sierra Nevada Mtns and the the White-Inyo Mtns.
I’d be interested to know if there has been a sudden increase in the water temperature at Benton Hot Springs as a result of this latest event? For that matter, I wish that I was out there right now, rather than this continued “house arrest”.

geologyjohn said:
I’ve spent most of my life recreating in that area (and still do). My parents took me to Bodie in 1962 and from then on, I was hooked on the region. In the early 1980’s, I worked in and around the Long Valley caldera studying the earthquake swarm that hit the area in the Spring of 1980. Anyway, I’d bet that this latest eq is part of the long term, on-going lateral displacement occurring between the Sierra Nevada Mtns and the the White-Inyo Mtns.
I’d be interested to know if there has been a sudden increase in the water temperature at Benton Hot Springs as a result of this latest event? For that matter, I wish that I was out there right now, rather than this continued “house arrest”.
I feel a need to get down there as soon as possible to find out.

geologyjohn said:
Thanks for the interesting geology based take on the quake. I appreciate the insight you give as to this being part of the long term trend. Hot springs and geysers are often the most direct way to see a consequence of earthquake activity. I do wonder what is happening at Benton.

There is a gps Earthscope earth station on 120 just south of the epicenters. It measures the western movement of the north american plate. I wonder if it recorded a movement associated with these quakes?

Nevada-May-2015-014-copy.jpg

Nevada-May-2015-015-copy.jpg

I didn't know we had slippage between ocurring between the Whites and the Sierras, thanks very much for sharing that. The knowledge we have here on WTW never ceases to amaze me.

My wife, who is a geophysicist, first comment was "huh, they don't seem to be associated with a fault, I wonder if there is magma moving?" That area is still volcanically active, are swarms of quakes like this common for that area? Could we be seeing the beginning of a new eruption? It hasn't been all that long ago since the last.

The last eruption in the Mono Craters chain occurred less than 700 years ago at Panum Crater. Panum Crater, located just above the south shore of Mono Lake

geologyjohn said:
Anyway, I’d bet that this latest eq is part of the long term, on-going lateral displacement occurring between the Sierra Nevada Mtns and the the White-Inyo Mtns.
So, geologyjohn, would the on-going lateral displacement thus be within the Walker Lane, as an incipient and potentially more active transform fault taking up more and more of the displacement burden from the San Andreas Fault?

Sorry if I have the White-Inyo Mtns and the Sierra geography all wrong. I've never studied California geology to any significant degree and my "tag name" of Resident Geologist is not self-conferred (but I appreciate the kind reference provided by the Site Team!). I also haven't earned a single dime as a geologist since 1983 and I never did field work west of southwestern Montana.

Foy

I felt only the first jolt (and that is exactly what it was - one jolt and no shaking at least here 60+ miles from the epicenter) but it has been fascinating to see epicenters of aftershocks? occurring throughout the region.

slash2 said:
That area is still volcanically active, are swarms of quakes like this common for that area? Could we be seeing the beginning of a new eruption? It hasn't been all that long ago since the last.
I am trying to remember but I believe there was a swarm in the Mammoth area earlier this year but it did not go on for the weeks/months of the swarms in the '80s. There had not been a major swarm in Mammoth for some time but the bulge to the E of town has continued to swell. And I remember sitting with a friend and his video camera on the bluff above Hot Creek in 2006? waiting to get footage of the geysers which had appeared in the creek but I believe those geysers are much reduced in frequency if not altogether gone.

There was a series of small quakes in the Aurora area (E of Bodie but N of this latest epicenter) a few years ago which did damage in Bodie - likely due to the small quakes happening so close together in time to be essentially non stop for at least an hour. I heard those quakes temporarily caused some changes in the water flow at Travertine Hot Springs but I have no personal knowledge other than being awakened every couple of minutes until I gave up on trying to sleep.

There was also the quake between Carson City and Lake Tahoe just a month or so ago? (what day is it anyway?) The Earth is not static here on the E slope of the Sierra Nevada.

And while I would love to be checking out the water temperatures in Benton, or skiing or planning trips in my new camper I have found it beneficial to frame this point in history as an example of communities caring for the vulnerable amongst us rather than thinking of it as "house arrest". It certainly has helped my mental status to do this but of course, YMMV.

teledork said:
And while I would love to be checking out the water temperatures in Benton, or skiing or planning trips in my new camper I have found it beneficial to frame this point in history as an example of communities caring for the vulnerable amongst us rather than thinking of it as "house arrest". It certainly has helped my mental status to do this but of course,
Well said.

Its not all bad. I just defrosted the freezer in the camper which likely would not have happened if I weren't sheltering in place.

slash2 said:
My wife, who is a geophysicist, first comment was "huh, they don't seem to be associated with a fault, I wonder if there is magma moving?" That area is still volcanically active, are swarms of quakes like this common for that area? Could we be seeing the beginning of a new eruption? It hasn't been all that long ago since the last.

The last eruption in the Mono Craters chain occurred less than 700 years ago at Panum Crater. Panum Crater, located just above the south shore of Mono Lake
Thanks slash2, my kind regards to your wife. I too am a geophysicist, so it brings to mind an old joke -- which was told to me a few decades ago by a geologist ( I am sure your wife can relate):

The manager called in a engineer, a mathematician and a geophysicist. He asked them "Tell me what 2 plus 2 equals!" The engineer said well it is 4 plus or minus the accuracy of your measuring instruments. The mathematician said well, that is easy, it is four.

The manager then looked at the geophysicist, who said: "What do you want it to be?"

That area, around the Adobe Hills, not far north of Benton Hot Springs, and just west of Huntoon Valley gets these shallow eq swarms every now and then. There’s some uppity young faults out there (my characterization, NOT USGS characterization). Possibly part of the Huntoon Valley Fault system.

Back
Top Bottom