Bodie Hills, Sweetwater

craig333

Riley's Human
At the last moment my boss surprised me and said I have Saturday off. Yay, sort of. Chain controls up on 88 so I opted to rest and head up Saturday. Heading up 50 it was cloudy, then rainy and finally started snowing. Wasn't enough to stick on the roadways but was enough to make me nervous about hitting the dirt roads.

Decided the Bodie Hills were probably the better bet because of the weather. Stayed on the main dirt roads. Spent the first night overlooking Mono Lake. What a view with the lake and the snow covered Sierras to the right.
bodiemono.jpg

It didn't take nearly as long to circle the hills as I expected so I head back into bridgeport and bought some $5 fuel :mad: Spent some time trying to find the hot springs. A dip sounded good. I finally found it and there was a veritable cop convention going on. Mono county sheriffs, Blm rangers and maybe even more. I opted to forgo the dip and head on over to the Sweetwater Mountains.

Went around the east side and up forest road 050. Lots of campers. Not surprising given the holiday weekend. Found a nice spot that looks to have been a herders camp at the base of the mountains on the north side. I was visited by some quads and motorcycles and was pleased that everyone was very pleasant. The bikers stopped and removed their helmets and chatted before moving on. Amazingly I never any gunfire.
sweetwatercamp.jpg

Headed out early this morning. A nice thick coating of frost on everything. Nice and toasty in the camper. Almost made me feel guilty when I drove by some guys sleeping in their bags on the ground. Almost. Unfortunately the road didn't loop back around the other side of the Sweetwaters like I thought it did. More spots to go back to next time. I'm a little ashamed I don't know CA as well as I thought. Heck, I didn't even know we had a Wellington Hills and a few others on the map. Darn, looks like I'll have to go back and do some more exploring :D

Glad you got some time off and got out there!

x2

It is good to know you finally got a chance to get away. You are right, we did some exploring in Lassen NF and there is a lot of area yet to be seen by us in CA.

Back
Top Bottom