Bold Coast Weekend

Thanks for taking us to the east! We have plans for major northeast exploration if retirement ever comes. Thanks for sharing. Your large header photo sure reminds me of Castle Peak in Idaho's White Cloud Peaks. May I ask where that is?

Thanks RJones. I am trying my hand at taking some better pics. It's hard to capture all what mesmerizes us in the moment sometimes.

ski3pin- have really enjoyed reading your blog as well. Answer to your question about the header pic, yes it is in Idaho! In the Salmon Challis National Forest at Meadow Lake Campground, hiked up to the Lemhi divide. (off of route 28) The campground sits at about 9,100 ft. and was pretty spectacular. It was a nice little stone road leading up to it with old abandoned mining communities along the way. We did a 2 week trip out west (Montana, Idaho, Wyoming area) last year and this was our favorite place.

Great report- thanks! Good to see some other parts of the country- we too want to get to the Northeast some day.

Thanks for the Back East photos. I was out there October of 2011 and had a great time.

So you guys didn't get to Acadia, eh? It is touristy but it is also very beautiful and there are some great short (and steep) trails that get you quickly away from the crowds. Camping in the park without a reservation might be an issue but there are many private CGs in the area.

I'm not sure what your plans are now, but Baxter State Park also has good, primative camp sites and really great hiking.

We have 2, maybe 3 more weeks here. We do plan to do Acadia and also Baxter. I am worried about not having reservations...we'll wing it and find somewhere. Stew, are there any trails imparticular that you liked?

takeiteasy- thanks for the suggestion, we considered doing Umbagog Lake, but decided against it. We traveled through that area (a little north of there on Rt. 2) on our way east from Ohio and thought it was gorgeous. Maybe on the way back (if we're that north) we can hit it.

4buckeye said:
We have 2, maybe 3 more weeks here. We do plan to do Acadia and also Baxter. I am worried about not having reservations...we'll wing it and find somewhere. Stew, are there any trails imparticular that you liked?
In Acadia I hiked the South Ridge Trail from sea level at Blackwoods Campground to the busy summit of 1528 ft Cadillac "Mountain." It's a real, if little, mountain with a treeline and a rocky summit. I wanted to do the very short, very steep Ladder Trail (Acadia's answer to a via ferrata) on Dorr Mountain but I had to get to my reservations at Baxter. But there are so many, many other foot trails and carriage roads in the park that I never got a look at.

At Baxter State Park, I hiked to end of the Appalachian Trail and the top of Katahdin by the Chimney Pond Trail and the steep, rotten Saddle Trail. The Chimney Pond Trail will get to a tarn in the huge cirque to the east of the mountain and is well worth the effort. I also hiked the short, flat Sandy Stream Pond Trail for great views of the peak reflected in the lake and, on that day, of a bull moose standing near the trail.

You should visit the White Mountains in NH and the Adirondacks in NY, if can find the time.

Doug Stewart said:
In Acadia I hiked the South Ridge Trail from sea level at Blackwoods Campground to the busy summit of 1528 ft Cadillac "Mountain." It's a real, if little, mountain with a treeline and a rocky summit. I wanted to do the very short, very steep Ladder Trail (Acadia's answer to a via ferrata) on Dorr Mountain but I had to get to my reservations at Baxter. But there are so many, many other foot trails and carriage roads in the park that I never got a look at.

At Baxter State Park, I hiked to end of the Appalachian Trail and the top of Katahdin by the Chimney Pond Trail and the steep, rotten Saddle Trail. The Chimney Pond Trail will get to a tarn in the huge cirque to the east of the mountain and is well worth the effort. I also hiked the short, flat Sandy Stream Pond Trail for great views of the peak reflected in the lake and, on that day, of a bull moose standing near the trail.

You should visit the White Mountains in NH and the Adirondacks in NY, if can find the time.
Thanks for the info! We'll see how much time we have-Chimney Pond Trail sounds like a must for us.

We drove through the Adirondacks in NY on the way here. Didn't have time to do any hikes but camped at Cranberry Lake, but driving through there, NH, and Vermont was amazing.

4buckeye said:
snip>
yes it is in Idaho! In the Salmon Challis National Forest at Meadow Lake Campground, hiked up to the Lemhi divide. (off of route 28) The campground sits at about 9,100 ft. and was pretty spectacular. It was a nice little stone road leading up to it with old abandoned mining communities along the way. We did a 2 week trip out west (Montana, Idaho, Wyoming area) last year and this was our favorite place.
Thanks for the info. I found it on my maps. Haven't been to the Lemhi Range although we have been to Idaho many times. There is much to explore and discover up there. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom