Bombsight Build Thread

Bombsight

Hello everyone!

Just joined the forum with my mind made up to order a 2016 FWC Raven (Correction* - Hawk model). A five year no leak warranty cant be beat! It seems like everyone is really happy with FWC's.

I plan on having a Hawk* model built and installed on a 2016 GMC 300HD with a BDS 6.5" lift (see attachment).

After reading a long list of threads on here and right click/saving tons of photos, I'm convinced that this future rig is the best, most agile off road rig out there for my purposes.

In the future, you guys will see many photos from me dealing with modifications to the camper/truck as well as videos & photos from my expeditions in the FWC. I'm a hobbyist/photographer.

I'd like to start this thread off by asking those of you who have time to comment .... what would you do ... or not do (installations) when it comes to building the best Hawk FWC anyone could imagine. Keep in mind, I plan on staying out in the bush for long periods of time ... and the grid will be all but forgotten.

Thanks in advance for your opinions. I hope to share some really cool things with all of you soon as I invest in my retirement plans ... and this beautiful land we call The Americas.

FWC Raven.jpg

Bombsight

Love your truck.
Sounds like a great adventure.

Why the Raven model?

Any reason not to have the Hawk?
I have a 3500 HD 6.5 ft bed and the Hawk fits perfectly.

DrJ said:
Love your truck.
Sounds like a great adventure.

Why the Raven model?

Any reason not to have the Hawk?

I have a 3500 HD 6.5 ft bed and the Hawk fits perfectly.
Thanks ... not mine yet though. Truck & camper to be bought together soon.

Will the Hawk fit in the Crew max bed without any of it hanging over?
I thought the GMC 35OO HD had a 5.6 as opposed to your 6.5 bed.

Believe me, I'll choose the Hawk if it will fit the short wheel base crew max bed.

I believe it has the 6.5 ft bed. The shorter bed at 5.6 ft (I'm not sure of exact length here) is on the half ton trucks.
I'm not sure you can ever order that size bed in the HD (3/4 and 1 ton) GM trucks.

The Hawk model is the perfect one for the 6.5 ft bed and what I would do as long as that is the real size of the bed.

I stand corrected and I'm thrilled, DrJ! Thanks

Scott @ FWC (New Braunfels, Texas) informed me just now that it is the "Hawk" version I should be looking at.
He said the Raven is for 1/2 ton trucks.

Thanks for the heads up ... The build plan just took a whole new direction. :D

billharr said:
The 2500 will have a 6.5 bed I am looking to move up to a 3/4 ton.
Thanks, Bill. I watched your video and it was a big help with my dreams. Thanks for posting that. I will watch it more than once.

OK ... Now that there are three floor plans for an option, which seems to be most functional for most?

I have to say the long bench fold over seat looks like its a waste of space?

I'm torn between the front Dinette and the side Dinette. Opinions please...

Can the front Dinette floor plan actually sleep four adults as opposed to just three with the side Dinette floor plan?

Is the shower in the front Dinette really functional?
Seems as though overspray from showering would be an issue on the seating? Does FWC make a special shower curtain or what? Where & how does one get a shower head to shower with inside?

Opinions on the FWC cassette toilet as opposed to a Thetford "Curve" toilet?

There have been lots of opinions over the years on dinette seating.
FWC does have some great videos by Tom on their website about this very topic.

I have sat in the Hawk and Grandby front dinette and can tell you that 4 adults are not going to make it in the Hawk front dinette.
But in the Grandby it works great for 4 adults.

You can add a lagun table in the roll over bench model which works good for me. Check out these:

full

If/when I buy another one, I would do a Grandby front dinette model.
But I don't have a long bed truck and was not excited about the camper hangover issue.

Not much experience with the toilet or indoor shower.
But if you do a search there have been lots of comments on those in the past.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Bombsight, that avatar looks like a big Nikon or Canon, with a a RRS L plate hanging off the side. Welcome to the fold!

Yep ... Canon 1DX w/Canon 85L 1.2 @ f1.2 & RRS L plate.

You shoot too?

Yup, mostly wildlife and some landscape. We have a photographer's forum in the 'Misc' area, feel free to join in.

I bet that 85/1.2 is sweet for portraiture.

I checked out your flickr build, and love the rain protection for the generator (a rubbermaid tub inverted, with a hole for the switch). I love that it makes it less visible and likely to get stolen, too. Are you sure there is enough ventilation?

Thanks ... I think it would be fine. Honestly, I have not ran the gen. longer than about 70 minutes .... but it showed no sign of overheating at all during that time test .

Attachments

• 988951_10203098968869829_5076235607625160861_n.jpg
    988951_10203098968869829_5076235607625160861_n.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 232
  • 1511123_10203098969429843_4281766736164022126_n.jpg
    1511123_10203098969429843_4281766736164022126_n.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 235
Update:

Just put my deposit down on a 2016 Hawk! :D

Options are ...

Mechanical Jacks
160w roof - 80w portable solar pkg.
2 way Frige - 130 liter
Furnace
H20 heater/outside shower
Dual power roof fans - one over bed 6600R model
8' side awning
Yakima rack - complete system
Rear wall steps
Rear LED Lights
Exterior LED lighting pkg.
2 deep cycle batteries
Silver Spur interior
Glass top Sink / Stove
Fiberglass sides outside
Side dinette w/ swivel table
Gas struts - front / rear
Air Conditioner

3-4 month build time - Sooo fareekin' STOKED! :p

Doesn't feel so bad getting forced to work overtime now. Ha

Ordering new truck in 4 weeks (2 month build time).

Congratulations!

Good call on the AC for SE TX! Extends camping season into summer.

Which generator are you planning on using to power the AC? I'm curious because I'm looking at different post-purchase AC options.

Back
Top Bottom