Bone Head Move

camelracer

Contributors
I was cleaning up the camper yesterday after the Carrizo rally. I cleaned the interior and applied 303 to the sideliner then pulled the truck onto the lawn to wash off the ton of mud it had collected. Due to being in a hurry and burdened with a geezer brain I forgot to lower the top. The tree branch that is normally not a problem with the top down ripped through the sideliner on the passenger side.

It looks like I'll be hauling my checkbook to Woodland soon. FWC wants $1200 for the new liner, about $1000 for the installation and about a month lead time. Being dumb ain't cheap.

Ouch! I only ran over my step stool going on a parts run. Did you check ATC's price?

Still cleaning my truck.

Ouch,that hurts.
When you replace the liner have you thought or need a taller liner?
Now would be the time to get more head room in the camper if you need it.
IMO ATC might get it done faster and at a lower cost.
Good luck,life is defiantly a learning process.
Frank

camelracer said:
.................................................................... burdened with a geezer brain I forgot to lower the top. The tree branch that is normally not a problem with the top down ripped through the sideliner on the passenger side.
Ouch! Big ouch!

Yikes! Makes our recent collision with a couple of boulders that we purposefully parked in front of the night before, spent the whole morning walking around and then promptly driving straight into them as we left the CG seem, well, just as dumb.

ETA: only cost will be remounting the crunched license plate and the ripped off plastic bumper skirt.

Wow

Ain't it great being a geezer! Something that duck tape will not fix. Hey. if you got to come up here to get it fixed-why don't you be positive about it and use it for a run somewhere up in our northern uplands-maybe the Black Rock/Smoke Creek/High Rock/the Steens/maybe north coast-the options are endless. I'm game, come on up and let's go play :D ! I'm sure sure some other geezer types might be around!

Smoke

Even though it sucks. I'd love to see pics.

Perhaps some members have repaired even worse. You have nothing to lose.

We've all pulled bonehead moves at some point and I'm sure there are plenty more to come in life.

I wrecked my rear bumper last summer, if it make you feel any better.

A bonehead thread would be popular :)

ATC was the first call I made today. I was impressed with the reviews they get from WTW people and I thought they would do a good job a little cheaper than FWC. Unfortunately I was told they don't work on campers newer than '04 - mine is an '06. I don't understand the arbitrary limitation but then it's not my company.

Bummer, dude.
It takes some guts to admit a bone head move.
I wonder if there's any way a patch could be applied over the damaged area?

I'd patch mine in a heartbeat but I'm guessing the length of the tear in this case is making a repair near impossible.

Mentioned this to my brother. He admitted he just ran over his weed eater :(

Sorry to hear that Dick. I made my own bonehead move this weekend, but fortunately no damage was done. We camped at the coast. Driving south on our way home we stopped after about an hour. Took in an ocean view and turned back towards the camper. I dropped the top but never latched it. Wind had lifted it back up. :eek:

That is unfortunate that ATC can't do it. They still use the 3 layer canvas with the blackout material in the middle. FWC stopped using that a while back. You will notice a lot more light coming in. Plus you will get the same effect at night with your lights on that you see when someone in a tent has a light on - very clear silhouettes. As long as you're writing a check, get the arctic pack too. We leave ours on just to counter the above.

The camper can still be used if I don't mind leaks and bugs. Both screens were ripped and a hole was punched in the clear window material. The canvas has a hole where it ripped away from the camper in the front lower corner and seems to be stretched thin in a couple of areas. Since we're out of the rainy season I'll continue using it until I can get a proper fix. If I could get my OCD under control I could probably live with the duct tape repairs.

Shame ATC can't do the new liner.
It may have something to do with the deal when the split with FWC came prior to 04.
Didn't know about the "new" liner FWC uses.
I have seen it on campers,but didn't know you can see thru it.
May be just some duct tape for a while will work.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom