Boulder Chain Lakes, White Cloud Mtns, Idaho

4llamas

I am planning to take the llamas over next week for about a 10 day frolic into the White Cloud Mountains, but I'm concerned about the smoke intrusion from the wildfires (especially the Pioneer fire). Do we have any members in the area that can tell me about the conditions? My trailhead is at Livingston Mine, about 15 miles south of Clayton, east and a little south of Stanley. This trip has been on my list for a few years and I'm almost ready to go, but not if it is too smokey.

At this time all my roads are open, so I am primarily concerned about smoke. I'll be calling the FS ranger station, but if I could hear from a local member that would be good also.

Thanks.

Can't give you information on the smoke but we did backpack there years ago and enjoyed it greatly! Hope yours is as well.

pvstoy said:
Can't give you information on the smoke but we did backpack there years ago and enjoyed it greatly! Hope yours is as well.
I do imagine it's going to be a wonderful experience. So far I have not been able to reach anyone at either the Stanley or Yankee Fork ranger stations, but the lady I spoke with at the Redfish Lake Lodge gave me enough confidence to continue with my plans. Livingston Mine is a long two day drive from my house, especially with the wildfires, but so goes life with a bucket list. Thanks for the push.

searching for nowhere said:
If you go to a Weather Underground Wonder map you can click on "active fires" and it will show you the smoke plumes. But, I have no idea how accurate it is.
Excellent. Thank you. I'll put that site back on my list. The smoke pattern lines up with the incident report on InciWeb so that's encouraging, but another low pressure system is due Friday with the possibility of thunderstorms and dry lightning. Thanks again for the link.

4llamas - just back from that area. The smoke is hit and miss but we did not have a day it was bad enough to wish we were not there. Livingston Mine trailhead takes you to many special places. We have been to most of the wonderful off trail basins during several backpacks over the years. Well worth the visit. Have fun, we know you will. :)

ski3pin said:
4llamas - just back from that area. The smoke is hit and miss but we did not have a day it was bad enough to wish we were not there. Livingston Mine trailhead takes you to many special places. We have been to most of the wonderful off trail basins during several backpacks over the years. Well worth the visit. Have fun, we know you will. :)
Thanks. I'm keeping an eye on the weather and the Pioneer Fire. If my access road doesn't get closed and the smoke generally stays out of the area I'll be heading that way early next week, otherwise I'll go into the Eagle Cap Wilderness. Not a bad backup plan at all.

4llamas said:
Thanks. I'm keeping an eye on the weather and the Pioneer Fire. If my access road doesn't get closed and the smoke generally stays out of the area I'll be heading that way early next week, otherwise I'll go into the Eagle Cap Wilderness. Not a bad backup plan at all.
You bet on the Eagle Cap! We just came back from there too. :)

Back
Top Bottom