Brakes and Suspension Upgrade 2006 Tundra DC

super doody

No camping this weekend I so took my truck to the local brake shop to install new brake pads, new rotors and while I installed rear sway bar afterwards. I could've done it myself but they were super fast and also inspected and adjusted the rear drum brakes. I had a little bit of squeaking from brakes which I thought was the front but it was actually the drum brakes.

My camper is 1390 lbs dry so I wanted some additional braking power.

On top of that I had tundra brake clicking/popping sound - I thought I had some suspension or steering rack issues. Whenever I put my truck in reverse, I heard clicking/popping sound. I spent about 2 hrs torquing everything to factor spec but the sound didn't go away. I read online that this is common a issues and due to the pad shifting in the calipers. This noise did go away with the new brake setup.

I added truck/suv (yellow) pads from EBC and slotted cryo rotors from stoptech. The braking is much more firmer and more controlled. Time will tell on the durability of the brake pads from using slotted rotors. Both rotors and pads came with the truck (brand new, previous owner didn't installed them).

rear drum adjustment

Even though I had ride rite air bags to help with the extra weight I felt the rear end was a bit sloppy.
On road the rear hellwig sway bar dramatically improved handling. We'll see how it handles off road.

Daddy's little helper.

One quick lane change and the Hellwig will be paid for. Best thing I have done for handling on 2005 Tundra.

Good job Super Dood!
I've got the same year Tundra and have used the Helweb sway bar for almost five years. I believe it does help quite a bit when off roading and you get the left/right/left/right rhythmic swaying syndrome. It does hang lower than anything else and I have hit it once on a rock (the rock lost), and once when deeply buried in mud

I've adjusted the LSPV on my '84 Xcab. Did it to offset going to larger tires. Found that with the camper shell on the truck that I can just run it all the way up at max. Without the shell I'll need to back it down some.

ntsqd said:
I've adjusted the LSPV on my '84 Xcab. Did it to offset going to larger tires. Found that with the camper shell on the truck that I can just run it all the way up at max. Without the shell I'll need to back it down some.
Thanks but which way do you adjust the nut?
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thanks but which way do you adjust the nut?
Frank
With the load in the bed, it will decreases the distance between the bed and axle therefore pushing the level up. Use the photo below for reference:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60697&d=1302284860

So you increase rear braking by adjusting the lever up. If you have a load already (i.e camper), I would leave it as is unless you are increasing the ride height with air bags or rear suspension lift. Increasing braking force on the rear can cause the rear wheels to lock up and fish tail during emergencies

super doody said:
With the load in the bed, it will decreases the distance between the bed and axle therefore pushing the level up. Use the photo below for reference:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60697&d=1302284860

So you increase rear braking by adjusting the lever up. If you have a load already (i.e camper), I would leave it as is unless you are increasing the ride height with air bags or rear suspension lift. Increasing braking force on the rear can cause the rear wheels to lock up and fish tail during emergencies
Thank you for that info.I think I will leave it as is.
Frank

Try RV LIFE Pro Free for 7 Days

• New Ad-Free experience on this RV LIFE Community.
  • Plan the best RV Safe travel with RV LIFE Trip Wizard.
  • Navigate with our RV Safe GPS mobile app.
  • and much more...
Try RV Life Pro Today
Back
Top Bottom