Rollover sofa cushion rejuvenation

RicoV

Are your rollover sofa cushions 'softening up' like ours were after 13 years of use? After pricing replacement foam and encountering severe sticker shock, I had a lightning moment: simply mod a couple of previously used and already-owned 3/16"-thin basic rubber roll-up yoga mats! (you know the kind). Four lengths cut to the proper XY dimensions (our cushions happened to be 22" by 36") with rounding of corners, then jockeyed into place: one each over and under the existing original foam for each of the two sofa cushions. The cushion covers will accommodate the additional volume in fine fashion, and the resulting improvement in stiffness and support for my old failing back has been rather amazing.
Rico.

The foam in our 2008 Hawk is still in great shape on the roll over couch. I replaced the bed foam years ago with a 4" foam with a 1 1/2 " memory foam top.

Good tip, though I don't have any yoga mats and they can be quite pricy. I have seen cheap foam sleeping pads at places like Walmart, so that might work. So far my 2013 cushions seem to be holding up.

To get the four pieces I needed, I took my two 24" x 72" (5 mm thin or so) yoga mats like in the attached pic, and then cut each mat in half and trimmed to fit any excess to get my four roughly 22" x 36" pieces. The cost for both mats should be no more than $30 total from most Web sources that I've perused, which is many times less the cost of replacement foam that I was quoted. I knew that my original cushions needed a reboot when my 'bottom' began feeling hardness from the camper's wooden storage bins underneath.
Rico.

Attachments

• yoga_mats_5-mm.jpg
    yoga_mats_5-mm.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1

Try RV LIFE Pro Free for 7 Days

• New Ad-Free experience on this RV LIFE Community.
  • Plan the best RV Safe travel with RV LIFE Trip Wizard.
  • Navigate with our RV Safe GPS mobile app.
  • and much more...
Try RV Life Pro Today
Back
Top Bottom