Brand new to truck campers - important question

Hello everyone,

I am and always have been a tent camper, but as I get older I am quickly learning that getting up and down off the ground is less and less ideal. So I am exploring options.

One important question as I start this research is how is easy it to get in and out of these truck-bed campers for someone of my height of 6'4".

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Matt, it’s not a problem. You have two inches on me, but I’m still climbing into the cab over at age 70+.

You'll find places to put your feet and things to grab onto that help you be safe.

Matt

Steve is right, you probably won't have any problem.

If you are anywhere near a pop-up camper sales location, you may want to swing by & do a little entry and egress. I am 6' and have no problem with my Four Wheel Pop-up Hawk model. And with the top up I think it is 6'6'' to the ceiling.

We dithered until we went and did a walk through and it was then obvious what would work for us.

Tony

Matt, one word of caution about where you can give yourself a jolt, in particular if you have running boards. You learn quickly when getting in and out of the cab, the camper is harder than the average head. Duck getting in or out of the truck.

BTW, there was a member here that was 6’7”. I believe he bought a Hawk.

I've got tall friends who have no problem getting in/out; I'm 5'10' and have no problems. One thing you find out fast when you own a pop-up is how many people stop by to have a look and most are surprised about how much head space there really is-again as was said above the cross wise sleeping space may require some adjustment. Now after a few drinks or on a frosty day that first step going out sometimes can be fun (that's what the hand holds are for-me thinks :rolleyes:)!

Smoke

Welcome to the cult.
I know that ATC offers a higher camper liner about
2" I think. Increases the headroom.Don't know if FWC has that option.
Our campers are easy to get in and out.
Steve brought up a good point with running boards on the truck you
need to watch your head on the camper above the truck cab.

Lots of camper choices out there.
Enjoy the search.
Frank

Not having the tailgate as a "porch" helps, since you can move forward as you go inside as you step up. Hard to explain in words but it's like climbing a ladder. I had a truck camper with a tailgate porch, and I loved having a place to sit, but it did make getting in and out harder, but I was younger. I now just "walk" up the step, to the bumper, to the door amp and before I know it I'm inside

WrongWayAdventures_USA said:
Hello everyone,

I am and always have been a tent camper, but as I get older I am quickly learning that getting up and down off the ground is less and less ideal. So I am exploring options.

Matt
Not to turn you off the idea of buying a truck camper, but if the problem is getting up from sleeping on the ground, have you looked into a tent that would allow you to sleep on cots? Cabellas et al are selling some very comfortable full size cots these days, complete with nice, thick mattresses.

I’m 5-7 and still manage to bang my head occasionally. Find a technique and stick to it , unlike me! You’ll be fine.

Before I got my ATC truck camper I had a VW Westfalia Vanagon. I would occasionally bang my head going in and out of that. I think it is about the same with the truck camper. It is probably going to happen now and then, and I am 5'9". I put a foam rubber pad on the top ledge of the opening made from pipe insulator. A bigger issue of entry/exit in my humble opinion is the steps. I have yet to come up with a solution that I really like in terms of width, stability, weight, deployment, and storage - still working on that one, but I'm an engineer so we all know how that is:)

I seem to whack my head at least once or twice a year, but I do that getting in my truck too. Guess I'm a slow learner!! There's still some friends that I tent camp and backpack with and the camper seems so luxurious in comparison. Hope I can continue to do all three for another decade.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Matt, one word of caution about where you can give yourself a jolt, in particular if you have running boards. You learn quickly when getting in and out of the cab, the camper is harder than the average head. Duck getting in or out of the truck.
YES!!! This is the truth.

Also, I an 6' and rarely hit my head on anything in the camper. You should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom