Broken Strap on Rear Panel

So this weekend when I was lowering the back end of my Hawk, I made the mistake of grabbing the black strap on the rear panel instead of the knob that it wraps around, and the rivet popped out and richocheted around the interior before you could say DOH! :eek: I was left holding the strap, as it were.

I dont believe I should put a screw into that panel, and I also can't see a trip to a local service provider to fix this. Can anyone advise: How important is it really to have that black strap wrapped around the knob when the camper is raised? Thoughts from anyone?

Old Man Grumpus
Seattle

I did the same thing when I first got mine. Screwed it right back in, no problem. Can't remember if I used the same hole or not but it's held just fine.

Can't comment on the importance, but I reckon it's there for a reason!

it is pretty important to have the black strap around the brass knob

if it is not around that knob, there are times when the rear portion of the roof could "un-pop" and come down very quickly

I was testing the rear walls steps on a camper in the shop and grabbed the aluminum boat / luggage rack to help pull myself up, and then stepped up on the first rear wall step not knowing the shop guys didn't have the strap inside around the brass knob

the rear roof lift panel popped out and the roof slamed down on my side leaving a hugh rasberry -- no big deal, didn't really gut hurt, but one of those things I had to learn the hard way

next time I will make sure it is strapped for safely -- the roof can come down pretty fast if the camper door is open and you are not slowing the roof down a little as it lowers (especially if there is gear on the roof)

I'm not sure I would put a screw back in there -- if the screw is too long it very well might poke a hole in the pop-up liner of the camper :(

Feel free to call Chicail in our service dept. and he might be able to tell you how to better repair that.

FWC SERVICE = CHICALI (800) 242-1442

=======================================================

So this weekend when I was lowering the back end of my Hawk, I made the mistake of grabbing the black strap on the rear panel instead of the knob that it wraps around, and the rivet popped out and richocheted around the interior before you could say DOH! :eek: I was left holding the strap, as it were.

I dont believe I should put a screw into that panel, and I also can't see a trip to a local service provider to fix this. Can anyone advise: How important is it really to have that black strap wrapped around the knob when the camper is raised? Thoughts from anyone?

Old Man Grumpus
Seattle

Front strap

I had a bunch of kids in my camper once listening to some Micheal Jackson, and one of them pulled the snap from around the front stay and the whole front end of the camper came down quick and heavy...Just kidding about the MJ. but not about the front end..Make sure it is secured!!

Back
Top Bottom