buckled / bent lift frame question

hosse

Any advice on how to fix this? The initial cause was lowering the roof with snow on top and it took me by surprise.

thanks,
Marc
2005 Hawk

Attachments

• 20090522_152.jpg
    20090522_152.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 630
I would thik remove and replace. If you try to straighten it and weld it up, I would be concerned about it wouls want to bend again. Thats a drag, did the wood stress as well? Can you take a pic from farther back? Good luck!

Like Keith said

I would thik remove and replace. If you try to straighten it and weld it up, I would be concerned about it wouls want to bend again. Thats a drag, did the wood stress as well? Can you take a pic from farther back? Good luck!

That must have been scary when it happened! And, I agree with Keith, don't try to repair that portion; replace it. I'm sure that if you call FWC and tell them what part that is (looks like either the front or rear folding wall to me) they'll be able to send you a replacement for a reasonable price. They'll probably give you good advice on how best to replace it, too.

solution . . . maybe

Thanks Keith and Ed. I went ahead and installed some aluminum reinforcement rods with aluminum rivets for now. The material is much thicker than the original and it fits perfectly in the channel. So far it seems strong and secure. I'll post some photos when we get back from the Sierras this week. Replacing the broken part looks like a nightmare since it's secured with rivets, many of which aren't reachable unless the soft wall is removed. I'll keep y'all posted.

many thanks

Marc

fixed. for now.

Here's a shot of what I did to fix it. Hope depot had the aluminum rods that fit perfectly within the "track." So far so good and I raised and lowered it with some heavy gear up top.

Marc

Attachments

• camper.jpg
    camper.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 401
How much snow was on top?

I sometimes have a lot of weight on my roof with my Thule case and a rack for gas cans. When you lowered it did you support the roof and this happened or did you just pull the nob and let it drop?

Back
Top Bottom