Building a back porch

Barko1

Sometime I carry my dual sport on a rack behind the bumper but never feel great confidence in how secure it is. Weighs about 350#. I'm thinking of having something better fabricated, use at least two receiver tubes. Maybe even a third would be my existing receiver that would extend to the end of this "porch" so I could still trailer my boat if I wanted. So I would sometimes have a bike on it, maybe carry my extra water can and grey water can on there, and perhaps build in some collapsable steps?? Make sense? I have new springs and airbags so I can keep it level. Will make it so I can mount the bike just back enough so I can get in the door.

Sometime I carry my dual sport on a rack behind the bumper but never feel great confidence in how secure it is. Weighs about 350#. I'm thinking of having something better fabricated, use at least two receiver tubes. Maybe even a third would be my existing receiver that would extend to the end of this "porch" so I could still trailer my boat if I wanted. So I would sometimes have a bike on it, maybe carry my extra water can and grey water can on there, and perhaps build in some collapsable steps?? Make sense? I have new springs and airbags so I can keep it level. Will make it so I can mount the bike just back enough so I can get in the door.

DLN had a back porch on his camper/truck and found it very useful. I would shoot him an email for ideas and thoughts on the subject.

I've just started thinking about building something similar to haul around tools and junk for a buddies ill concieved desert racing adventures. He wants me to help him in the pits....

I've never been sold on the racks that just attach at the one hitch point.

I've just started thinking about building something similar to haul around tools and junk for a buddies ill concieved desert racing adventures. He wants me to help him in the pits....

I've never been sold on the racks that just attach at the one hitch point.

I've searched around for picture and there are quite a few but supported by chains or lighter weight. I'm pretty sure I have two receiver tubes welded on and a framework that slides into that which will have a flat deck and maybe just a chock for the front wheel that will have to be on the passenger side so the door won't have to contend with the handlebars. I'll search for the step threads.

Definitely go the three tube route. My friend did that and went all over Baja.

The middle receiver tube is enough to support the weight, however having the out board supports keep the channel from swaying and prevent the "bending moment" from stressing the middle support, which could lead to cracks/failure.
The outer receiver tube can be longer so that it sticks out beyond the channel to provide a tie down location.

A good steel fab guy s/b able to take care of you.

I will see if I can get a pic.

Definitely go the three tube route. My friend did that and went all over Baja.

The middle receiver tube is enough to support the weight, however having the out board supports keep the channel from swaying and prevent the "bending moment" from stressing the middle support, which could lead to cracks/failure.
The outer receiver tube can be longer so that it sticks out beyond the channel to provide a tie down location.

A good steel fab guy s/b able to take care of you.

I will see if I can get a pic.

But I would imagine the two would certainly support it and by adding the third it adds weight I have to pick up. I don't know that it would be on there all the time although I might like it and use it whether I am taking a bike or not. Does have three just make it harder to attach, I would think it'll have to be pretty precise and again the weight thing. Perhaps have the center one there, weight rests on it, but not welded to the framework. Just thinking,????

I would think it'll have to be pretty precise and again the weight thing. Perhaps have the center one there, weight rests on it, but not welded to the framework. Just thinking,????

You have the middle receiver already. Make the tube going into the center 2" longer and it will hold the weight when you aline the other two.

Bill

I've also been planning on something like this, sort of a back porch and MC carry rack.

My original idea for the back porch was to make something that hooked into the tail gate pivot points on the back of the truck bed and would rest on the top of the bumper step, and be bolted thru the factory ball mount hole just above the receiver hitch, so I could still use the receiver. It would have some expanded metal for a porch or shelf to carry a few things and one fold down step. Then make some dual, 1.5" receiver hitches on the outside of the frame rails for the MC carrier.

What I've ended up with "so far" is... one on my neighbors gave me a "power chair" carry rack that fit the 2" receiver hitch. It had an electric lift mechanism that I removed and will use with my JD2 tubing bender, instead of the ratchet hand pull device. So, I've just got the wheel chair tray, which has an expanded metal bottom and a pretty good structural frame around the sides and underneath that seems overbuilt for a 80 lb power chair. Using a 3' long piece of 2" square tubing, 0.250 wall thikness as the mount for the power chair tray to the received hitch, I've got a pretty good MC carry rack at the back of the power chair tray and the rest of the tray acts like a small porch and "step up", half way to the camper door. The camper door doesn't open all the way, but, I can fit by.

I recently attended a once a year, Honda Trail bike, 3 day event where I used the tray and MC carry rack and forgot to take any photos (although I may get some on Friday and add it to this message), so I hope the description above will work for the time being.

My MC and the tray did the standard "wobble" around the single 2" receiver hitch, but using the standard MC front tie downs and the velcro wheel wraps on both front and rear wheels it made it all the way from SB to the low desert, right thru all those bad freeways in LA.

When I got to the MC rally, I met TurboCity Tom (long time internet buddy, first time face-to-face, and he owns a FWC!). Tom had a real tight, single receiver MC carry rack. He described how it was so tight, and I sort of understood, but I asked him to take some photos when he got it off the truck next time.

Here's how it becomes a real tight MC carry rack...

haulerweb4.jpg

haulerweb2.jpg

haulerweb1.jpg

haulerweb3.jpg

Works real neat.

As the bolt at the end of the carrier rack is tightened the diagonal cut section is pulled aft (like in the top photo), and eventually tightens up the entire section inside the receiver hitch. Sort of like some of those aftermarket, anti-rattle devices, but it's got a lot more power to tighten. And, the hitch pin still works, either the regular type or a key locking type. Also, it's sort of like a extra safety device if the hitch pin is removed the hitch remains inside the receiver, it's that tight.

Not sure if it's a product or a home brew idea from Tom (he's a pretty smart guy).
I hope he's not planning on getting a patent and I just gave away his retirement fund.
But, I'm planning on trying it soon.

Just thought I'd throw this out as it should be a simple modification for a single receiver hitch.

Some ideas / options here:

http://www.discountramps.com/carriers.htm

I have a Blue Ox Weight Dist hitch and am impressed with it. They also make some nice carriers with double receiver support: http://www.blueox.us/carriers/carriers.htm I have a single and it can do but..... I ran into a FWC at Santa Elena Canyon and he had a custom bike carrier/porch so that has been bouncing in my brain. I think his was a pretty permanent deal. My bike isn't light weight, listed at 324 dry, add some fluids, bigger tank, some luggage etc, not a 225# dirt bike. Current rack is rated @ 400 so technically I'm OK but I'd rather have more than less.

Billharr I think what you are saying would work, slip the center tube in, then the others I can handle that :)

Not sure I understand Turbocity Tom's device :( I'll keep contemplating, ideas for decking material, 3/16 alum dimand plate 4x8 sheets are close to $400 :eek:

Hey Barko I have been looking for a dual sport for a long time. I bought one and pick it up saturday. I have been thing about some kind of a hauler. I found one that looks a lot stronger than most and the receiver hitch come out the back to be able to tow a trailer. www.versahaul.com Does this look stronger than what you have now?

Paulie

Hey Barko I have been looking for a dual sport for a long time. I bought one and pick it up saturday. I have been thing about some kind of a hauler. I found one that looks a lot stronger than most and the receiver hitch come out the back to be able to tow a trailer. www.versahaul.com Does this look stronger than what you have now?

Paulie

That one is better, 500#, not sure what access is would allow for getting in the back door. That is one of the criteria I have for carrying the bike. I don't want to have to take the bike off (or squeeze in) every night when I stop just to get me, or my dogs, in and out. If I were to just go camp and stay put for a few days it wouldn't matter so much but often I am on the move! If I plan on sitting I take the trailer.

I see you are from N. IL. My family is from that area, Lake Geneva, Sharon, WI. Used to have a farm by McHenry. I'll pass by later this summer. So what did you pick up?

Not sure I understand Turbocity Tom's device
sad.gif

Sorry, I added this part...

"As the bolt at the end of the carrier rack is tightened the diagonal cut section is pulled aft (like in the top photo), and eventually tightens up the entire section inside the receiver hitch. Sort of like some of those aftermarket, anti-rattle devices, but it's got a lot more power to tighten. And, the hitch pin still works, either the regular type or a key locking type. Also, it's sort of like a extra safety device if the hitch pin is removed the hitch remains inside the receiver, because it's that tight."

Sorry, I added this part...

"As the bolt at the end of the carrier rack is tightened the diagonal cut section is pulled aft (like in the top photo), and eventually tightens up the entire section inside the receiver hitch. Sort of like some of those aftermarket, anti-rattle devices, but it's got a lot more power to tighten. And, the hitch pin still works, either the regular type or a key locking type. Also, it's sort of like a extra safety device if the hitch pin is removed the hitch remains inside the receiver, because it's that tight."

Thanks, makes sense now :D I have an anti rattle on one, and sometimes just wedge a shim in. Still thinking I'll go heavy duty.

Hey Barko I got A 2003 Honda XR650L with only 780 miles. I picked it up in New Berlin Wisconsin. I live next to Mchenry and 1/2 hr south of Lake Geneva. I have a childhood friend that farms in Walworth Wisconsin which is just east of Sharon. Let me know when your here and I'll ride the bike to meet ya.

Pauliersz_p5080018.jpg

Hello All,

New guy here. Been enjoying all the info & finally have something to contribute.

Built this porch/rack to haul my bike(s). I wanted something that would travel well and not have me constantly looking on the rear view
to make sure my bike was still there. Originally I made it for my F150, but adapted it to fit the F250. It's seen 8 years of service, on-road
and off.

It's a dual port style, leaving the standard receiver free. The step folds up for travel, the ramp slides under the "porch", and the rear tie-down
arms slide into the body ( not a fan of bloody shins ). I'm in the process of upgrading to LED auxiliary lights.

Things I would do different;

1. Use slightly lighter gauge steel for the body. Taking it off and on is okay, but would be nicer if it was lighter. Then again, it ain't gonna budge....

2. I'd go for the style of rack where the wheels fit into rectangular "holes", rather that the tray like I have. This would make it a little less wide as well
as eliminating any side to side rocking/rolling. And I'd use steel instead of aluminum.

3. I'd try to make the "porch" section a little lower, as this would help my "entrance angle" entering the camper. I paid alot of attention to
ground clearance, and have never touched ground, so I think there is room for a little lowering of that area.

4. I originally used expanded metal for the back step. Worked well, until my dog got her nail caught in it. Boy did I feel bad. Never again,
only wood.

5. Getting in the camper with the bike mounted; It can be done, but it's a squeeze. I would at least move the bike back 6 inches or so.
I'm still stewing on my ideal solution. I've looked into a swing out concept, similar to the tire/gas can racks, but not quite sure yet.
The extra real estate would come in handy for hanging out back there too.

Things I got right;

1. Everything that moves/slides has a lock. Same pins that hold the step up hold it down. No accidental slips.

2. I mixed some sand in the final coat of sealer for grip. Even in the pouring rain it has good traction. A little rough on the gear sometimes,
but worth it.

3. I modified the license plate holder to a quick-release style. Un-screwing & re-screwing the plate was not good.

4. Hot dip galvanizing ( Oakey-Chrome ). Well worth it.

Overall I love my porch, can't imagine traveling without it. Hope this helps.

Craig

P1050301.jpg
P1050302.jpg
P1050305.jpg
P1020799.jpg

Hello All,

New guy here. Been enjoying all the info & finally have something to contribute.

Overall I love my porch, can't imagine traveling without it. Hope this helps.

Craig

Excellent, That is almost exactly what I need. May extend the existing receiver so I can still tow a small boat. Will stick it far enough back for door access, have dogs so surface counts. With my front receiver I should be slightly shorter than the Queen Mary :D

Back
Top Bottom