Building roof racks....

SLOJET

Advanced Member
After pricing out putting the Yakima track and crossbar setup on my Hawk :oops: , I started thinking about building up some racks for the top out of 1.5 in aluminum square tubing. It's pretty similar to the fwc boat racks that they have. I just need the racks to be able to handle some surfboards and maybe a tray for tossing random stuff in and lashing it down. For those with racks what are some features you wish you had? I'm looking for cool ideas build into the setup.

Do I need to go with a four mounting point system using 1.5 in aluminum? How much does that stuff flex? Anyone know what size tubing FWC uses?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 226
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 218
After pricing out putting the Yakima track and crossbar setup on my Hawk
blink.gif
, I started thinking about building up some racks for the top out of 1.5 in aluminum square tubing. It's pretty similar to the fwc boat racks that they have. I just need the racks to be able to handle some surfboards and maybe a tray for tossing random stuff in and lashing it down. For those with racks what are some features you wish you had? I'm looking for cool ideas build into the setup.

Do I need to go with a four mounting point system using 1.5 in aluminum? How much does that stuff flex? Anyone know what size tubing FWC uses?

SLOJET,
I did exactly what you are describing, cost me around $80 for triple racks. I searched for the post but no luck. It's there if you look hard enough. Also put a diamond plate tray up there as well, works great. Good luck.

SLOJET,
I did exactly what you are describing, cost me around $80 for triple racks. I searched for the post but no luck. It's there if you look hard enough. Also put a diamond plate tray up there as well, works great. Good luck.

Took a little digging but I found the posts here How did you attach them to the stringers in the roof? Did you go back with the sheet metal screws or use some beefier hardware? Also, what are you using for surfboard straps?

In the process of digging I found the "off the grid Baja" trip you did. Nice work. :cool:

Ps.....if someone can tag this onto the other roof rack thread that I missed, go for it. I just didn't find it searching the first time around.

Took a little digging but I found the posts here How did you attach them to the stringers in the roof? Did you go back with the sheet metal screws or use some beefier hardware? Also, what are you using for surfboard straps?

In the process of digging I found the "off the grid Baja" trip you did. Nice work.
cool.gif

Ps.....if someone can tag this onto the other roof rack thread that I missed, go for it. I just didn't find it searching the first time around.

SLO,
I just used sheet metal screws (#8 3/4") into the roof stringers.

For straps on one side I am using two Rac-Roll pads attached to the bars : http://beckersurf.com/rac-roll/

On the other i just have pipe insulation as padding and use tie straps for kayak or additional stuff.

SLO,
I just used sheet metal screws (#8 3/4") into the roof stringers.

For straps on one side I am using two Rac-Roll pads attached to the bars : http://beckersurf.com/rac-roll/

On the other i just have pipe insulation as padding and use tie straps for kayak or additional stuff.

Thanks for the link, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Anyone know what size tubing FWC uses?

On my old Granby, the alum tubing is 1.0" x .045 wall. Here is a pic, hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSC00895 (Large).JPG
    DSC00895 (Large).JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 397
On my old Granby, the alum tubing is 1.0" x .045 wall. Here is a pic, hope this helps.

Interesting how they mounted that one. Looks like it's through bolted from below with wing nuts? Thanks for the pic and dimensions!

Check your roof and make sure it doesn't already have threaded inserts to accept a rack. Mine did, and it saved me a ton of work. I used 1x1x1/8" square tubing for the long bars (front to rear) and risers, and 1x1.5x1/8" for the 3 crossbars. Cost was around $75 in bolts and tube stock. I'd estimate the weight of the rack and hardware to be around 25 pounds and strong as hell too. I could have saved 10 pounds by using 1/16 wall, but I'll bet the .125 is five times stronger. Here's a real quick pic

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 417
Check your roof and make sure it doesn't already have threaded inserts to accept a rack. Mine did, and it saved me a ton of work. I used 1x1x1/8" square tubing for the long bars (front to rear) and risers, and 1x1.5x1/8" for the 3 crossbars. Cost was around $75 in bolts and tube stock. I'd estimate the weight of the rack and hardware to be around 25 pounds and strong as hell too. I could have saved 10 pounds by using 1/16 wall, but I'll bet the .125 is five times stronger. Here's a real quick pic

Would these protrude through the sheeting or be under it? Unfortunately, I'm working on the east coast right now, I'll have to check when I get back home. The one time I've been up there though I don't remember seeing anything other than the standard sheet metal screws though. I'd be pumped if I didn't have to weld all this. Bolt on install sounds nice!

I must have overlooked them at least a dozen times before I started poking at one of them one day and figured out what they were. They just look like flat washers, probably filled in with caulk.

I must have overlooked them at least a dozen times before I started poking at one of them one day and figured out what they were. They just look like flat washers, probably filled in with caulk.

Thanks BSS, I'll go hunting when I get home.

I just got the bid back from a local fabricator who was going to weld these up for me. $300 for a two bar, and $480 for one with a rack. :oops: No thanks....looks like I'm going to have to get creative.

Would these protrude through the sheeting or be under it? Unfortunately, I'm working on the east coast right now, I'll have to check when I get back home. The one time I've been up there though I don't remember seeing anything other than the standard sheet metal screws though. I'd be pumped if I didn't have to weld all this. Bolt on install sounds nice!

Where did you get your aluminum for your racks? Thanks, Jarett

Back
Top Bottom