Building the New Ford Ranger

I was able to test drive the new Ranger at Expo East this past weekend.

Due to the tremendous rain we had the dirt test track was not used ...but I was able to take a short drive on a back country road.

The truck felt nice and tight in a good way. The seats were also very comfortable ( I was in a Lariat). My wife, who sat in the back of the crew cab, said it was also very comfortable.
Turning radius was good and even though the truck is bigger than the older Ranger it felt pretty nimble.
I was able to go through the onboard computer and it was displaying 22.8 and 23 MPG so I would expect highway mileage to be in the 25-27 MPG for the 4x4.

The truck has way more zip than my old Ranger.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Kat, I need the crew cab... justification follows...

attachicon.gif
4B514897-D7F1-4882-AE8B-B6909BD81B5D.jpeg
That's quite a crew there Sage:)

A look inside the plant.......................and counsel your kids to get into industrial robotics and assembly tools design. :)

The Lady and I looked at, measured, and drove the new Ranger yesterday. I was not expecting to be pleased. We both came away surprised now much we liked the truck, really liked it.

The interior is nicely laid out and comfortable. I was expecting the truck to be and feel much bigger than it is. The wheelbase is 1 inch longer than our 2003 and the tire width (middle of front tire to the other) 2 inches wider.

I'd like to load a thousand pounds in the back and drive it in the backcountry for a long weekend before considering a purchase. It does have an outstanding crawl ratio, better than the 2003. I'd like to experience that real world. Do you think the young sales guy will set that up?

ski3pin said:
The Lady and I looked at, measured, and drove the new Ranger yesterday. I was not expecting to be pleased. We both came away surprised now much we liked the truck, really liked it.

The interior is nicely laid out and comfortable. I was expecting the truck to be and feel much bigger than it is. The wheelbase is 1 inch longer than our 2003 and the tire width (middle of front tire to the other) 2 inches wider.

I'd like to load a thousand pounds in the back and drive it in the backcountry for a long weekend before considering a purchase. It does have an outstanding crawl ratio, better than the 2003. I'd like to experience that real world. Do you think the young sales guy will set that up?
Ski are you getting bitten by the new truck bug?
Yes it would be nice to drive it with a good load and see how it handles.
Does the Bobcat fit the same?
Have fun with your dreams.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Ski are you getting bitten by the new truck bug?
Yes it would be nice to drive it with a good load and see how it handles.
Does the Bobcat fit the same?
Have fun with your dreams.
Frank
No dreams, Frank, of a new truck. Nice to see the new one. Both of us are a hard sell when it comes to thousands and thousands of dollars. Camper would fit the new truck with a platform but new truck should mean new camper, shouldn'd it? A new refinement here and there, maybe even a custom bed, turn the thing into a full time RV?

We should wait for a plug in hybrid that solar panels can top off.

Many many miles left on our current Ranger, everything works and it's been paid for since the day we bought it. :)

ski3pin said:
No dreams, Frank, of a new truck. Nice to see the new one. Both of us are a hard sell when it comes to thousands and thousands of dollars. Camper would fit the new truck with a platform but new truck should mean new camper, shouldn'd it? A new refinement here and there, maybe even a custom bed, turn the thing into a full time RV?

We should wait for a plug in hybrid that solar panels can top off.

Many many miles left on our current Ranger, everything works and it's been paid for since the day we bought it. :)
That's the smart idea IMO.
It's very hard to plunk down 1000ks & 1000ks of $s
then drive off the lot and lose 1000ks of $s.
Can't see you getting a new camper either.
If it's not broken why get rid of it,that's my view.
It's nice to look.Next time i am over in Monterey
I might have a peek at them.
Frank

I think spending some quality time with your favorite search engine might provide a rental agency with the new rangers. Pile in 20 or so 50 lb sacks of something in the rear & drive to a familiar spot to quench your curiosity.
Just a possibility. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
:)
Paul

Just in case anyone reading this thread is interested in purchasing the Ranger (or just about any other Ford vehicle) it is relatively easy to get "X Plan" pricing without any haggling by joining the Experimental Aircraft Owners Association for only $40 per year.

I believe you have to be a member for 90 days but it will potentially save you thousands without having to deal with all the high pressure sales tactics that we all love....

www.eaa.org

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Eddie, thanks for the tip! Apologies for off topic, but do you have an experimental?
No, racing Porsche's was thrilling enough for me but I sold that car to fund our camping adventures now!

Thanks for the suggestion................if we get thinking of buying. :)

PaulT said:
I think spending some quality time with your favorite search engine might provide a rental agency with the new rangers. Pile in 20 or so 50 lb sacks of something in the rear & drive to a familiar spot to quench your curiosity.
Just a possibility. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
:)
Paul

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before but I joined Ford Truck Enthusiasts a year or so before buying my F250.

There were so many knowledgeable people there and I was able to get a $3000 PCO from a link someone had provided where the best I could get on my own was $1500. Worth the price of admission.....(free:)

Back
Top Bottom