Bunk Beds in a Hawk?

We're looking into buying a Hawk in the future and after reading through this and other forums, there seems to be a love/hate relationship with both the dinette and the couch options. I've got two teenage girls who camp with my wife and i. The perfect setup for us would be bunk beds instead of the couch or dinette. FWC says they don't have that as an option. Does anyone know of a way to do this? Would it better to have the dinette or couch and build a stand alone bunk to go above it? Or better to have them leave that side empty and just build (or probably buy) a custom bunk bed?

Loving this site so far and can't wait to meet some of you with a Hawk in SoCal so we can poke around in it a bit.

I'd do a custom bunk and just have them make sure to get some framing in there for you. Have the bottom one flat all the time and the top one pivot down the form a couch back. Keep in mind though these are going to narrow and the bottom one isn't going to have much vertical space unless you put it really low thus ditching the usefulness of the couch type seat.

Either way with 4 in there its going to be for sleeping only, definitely not enough room for everyone to be up and moving.

I'd do a custom bunk and just have them make sure to get some framing in there for you. Have the bottom one flat all the time and the top one pivot down the form a couch back. Keep in mind though these are going to narrow and the bottom one isn't going to have much vertical space unless you put it really low thus ditching the usefulness of the couch type seat.

Either way with 4 in there its going to be for sleeping only, definitely not enough room for everyone to be up and moving.

Thanks. That's our intent. We'll be "graduating" from a Flippac where we sleep 4 so we're used to eating outside and only using the truck for sleeping. We're just tired of dragging out the bins, stove, propane, water, etc. every time we stop and want to cook something. I was actually thinking of adding a Flippac style hammock/cot above the window. Then we could just use the couch or dinette anyway. Or, making a bunk bed that would act as a backless couch with the second bunk high enough to sit under or flip down covering the window when in transit. I'm hoping to finally get to tour a Hawk at the Expo Toys for Tots drive in Pomona on Dec. 5. Someone should be there with one I would think.

We're looking into buying a Hawk in the future and after reading through this and other forums, there seems to be a love/hate relationship with both the dinette and the couch options. I've got two teenage girls who camp with my wife and i. The perfect setup for us would be bunk beds instead of the couch or dinette. FWC says they don't have that as an option. Does anyone know of a way to do this? Would it better to have the dinette or couch and build a stand alone bunk to go above it? Or better to have them leave that side empty and just build (or probably buy) a custom bunk bed?

Loving this site so far and can't wait to meet some of you with a Hawk in SoCal so we can poke around in it a bit.

I don't hate my couch.

Deploying the upper level cabover bed interferes with a second top bunk, methinks. But with an extended cabover, you have a king on top that will sleep three and a double underneath that will sleep two.

I like the extended cabover so much, I am saving for a new Hawk (or Grandby) shell to outfit like my old'n...

Back
Top Bottom