Bunk Ladder EDIT/UPDATE

Dragon240

Hi; Gotta 4 WheelCamper Hawk Shell. Just finished a DIY lower bunk between cab ends of bench seats. Wall/wall & 28 1/2" wide; storage below. Now need to create some kind of assist up onto the main Upper bed. @ 5'1" am a little short changed in the jump up and grab dept.

Since I don't know where the alum. frame is can't just go pounding fasteners into it. Just need a step or 2 between 'bench' and upper bed railing. (No am not interested in those 6' alum on line ~ thnx)

Thank you to any one who takes the time to respond. Thank You for letting me Just jump in and ask questions.

TakeCare, TravelSafe, HaveFun

K

Edit ~~~

Forget about the LADDER request. By the time I got the LowerBunk completed I find that even this height challenged old body can get up onto the TopBunk. [from lower bunk] Just over thinking the situation. :unsure: :unsure: As you start getting older often find too many 'what i'f's get in the way. Only the dog needs one and he ain't gettin' one.

Thanks to one & all for comments and suggestions.

TakeCare, TravelSafe, HaveFun

K

Welcome to Wander the West!

I've moved your topic to a more appropriate place so folks can better find it to get you some input with your question.

Hello Dragon240
Sorry but was gunna say make sure the ladder has flat rungs, as round one are uncomfortable. I see that won't work.
So my back up thought was to look for the plastic folding stools, they come in different heights, and fold very flat.
I think they are tapered so very stable. Our Cougar was a little tall, to get in the bed so we opted for the ladderwas much easier for my wife.
Russ

Welcome to WtW

Russ,

Thanks for quick reply. Gotta send a pic or this reply will make no sense. Bed [mine] I just finished goes wall to wall Drv-Pas 75" and from cab end out 28 inches. I don't 'do' upper bunks ~~ Too Short ~ Too Old ~ Too fat ~ & I Gotta de-water too often. Folding stool won't quite work. Trying to figure out a step/cleat or 2 affixed to cab wall. [ flat open box 12" high ~ could sleep with my feet in it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ] OhWell most of this stuff I build in my sleep and try it out for size in the AM,

Thanks Again TakeCare ~ Kate

Dragon240 said:
Russ,

Thanks for quick reply. Gotta send a pic or this reply will make no sense. Bed [mine] I just finished goes wall to wall Drv-Pas 75" and from cab end out 28 inches. I don't 'do' upper bunks ~~ Too Short ~ Too Old ~ Too fat ~ & I Gotta de-water too often. Folding stool won't quite work. Trying to figure out a step/cleat or 2 affixed to cab wall. [ flat open box 12" high ~ could sleep with my feet in it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ] OhWell most of this stuff I build in my sleep and try it out for size in the AM,

Thanks Again TakeCare ~ Kate
Not sure if this helps, but when I was redoing my Hawk I took pics... this is what the front wall looks like on mine

full

Vic

Vic ~ Wow!! Just the kind of thing I was looking for. Tried both times we were up in Woodland at the factory to get some shots of a 'Hawk' skeleton last Fall. One of the fellas said they had pics but they were filed and too hard to get to. Got lost in all your photos and had to start this over :unsure: .

Thanks again,

Kate

Dragon240 said:
Vic ~ Wow!! Just the kind of thing I was looking for. Tried both times we were up in Woodland at the factory to get some shots of a 'Hawk' skeleton last Fall. One of the fellas said they had pics but they were filed and too hard to get to. Got lost in all your photos and had to start this over :unsure: .

Thanks again,

Kate
:)

Just beware that not all our campers are the same...

I've been working on storage mods under the front window as well. This is the image I've been going by for framing. I'm not sure what model the image is from but I doubt this area varies much model to model.

Attachments

• IMG_0293.JPG
    IMG_0293.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 115
If the lower "bunk" is secured permanently and made up as a bed and you need a step UP to get into the upper "bunk" you might want to try one of those fold-down steps I see guys use to access the roof of their campers. Just a bracket bolted to their camper and a small, fold down step.

Since this is designed only to access the upper bunk and you would prefer not to have some step-ladder or other obstruction in the camper 24/7....perhaps you can just bolt a gusset plate to the top of the lower bunk plywood(?) that extends into the camper and mount that is a "L" shape then bolt on one of those step units that fold down? If you do it right you may be able to enlarge the pad with a plywood step and put carpet on it. Say you made it 10" x 3" for instance?

I the AM you can fold it UP against the lower bunk and at night, fold it DOWN to get up into you top bunk?

Back
Top Bottom