Buying a Four Wheel Camper for a Tacoma

tksurf

I'm very close to buying an Eagle 4WC for my 2000 Tacoma 4wd. A good friend of mine has given me great advice and let me look at his larger 4WC. I'm just wondering if there's anyone in the San Diego area, especially near North County (I live in Leucadia), who would let me look for just a little at his Eagle to see just how it looks and feels, and how the size is on my Tacoma. It's worth at least a beer I believe. Thanks, Terry

I'm very close to buying an Eagle 4WC for my 2000 Tacoma 4wd. A good friend of mine has given me great advice and let me look at his larger 4WC. I'm just wondering if there's anyone in the San Diego area, especially near North County (I live in Leucadia), who would let me look for just a little at his Eagle to see just how it looks and feels, and how the size is on my Tacoma. It's worth at least a beer I believe. Thanks, Terry

have you given a look at the all terrain campers?there are some differences you might like,and not just the price difference. frank

I have a 2009 All Terrain fully loaded Bobcat on my 2001 Tacoma and we love it. You should at least check them out if you are planning to buy a new one, you will not be unhappy. And, their service is unmatched.

Good luck,

Darryl

Hey Terry

Are you getting ready to make the plunge soon ?

Or can you want until the Fred Hall Show in march when we will have the new campers down there ?

The show is March 24th - 28th.

I might (might?) be able to find you a referral if you plan on buying before the Del Mar show.

Our New Classic FWC is out now as well (press release is coming very soon !)

So if you are looking for simple, don't need all the bells & whistles, and if the purchase price is a big factor the new FWC Classic camper line might be worth looking at.

Our normal FWC's are selling like crazy right now and seem to be the popular choice once customers have seen the 2 campers side by side and really know the differences.

But, I have the "Classic Model" price list in my office. Most all of our options prices are about the same (or less) on our Classic Model as the ATC campers. I believe our base camper model price is less too. I have a comparison sheet made up from the owner here listing the differences between the FWC and the ATC from what we can gather from pictures and their web site. We have some pretty good things going if you take the time to see what we are all about. The best thing you can do is come up here at stop in to both the FWC and the ATC factory and get a look at what the campers are all about. That way you can make an educated decescion on what YOU will like best.

:)

==============================================================================

It is a good idea to look at all manufacturer's pop up campers and see what works for you, not just ATC and Four Wheel. Personally I do a lot of camping and have recently had the opportunity to see the latest and greatest from the competition. None of them have anything on my fully loaded ATC Bobcat. Buying it was a great choice.

Have fun,

Darryl

Hey Terry

Are you getting ready to make the plunge soon ?

Or can you want until the Fred Hall Show in march when we will have the new campers down there ?

The show is March 24th - 28th.

I might (might?) be able to find you a referral if you plan on buying before the Del Mar show.

Our New Classic FWC is out now as well (press release is coming very soon !)

So if you are looking for simple, don't need all the bells & whistles, and if the purchase price is a big factor the new FWC Classic camper line might be worth looking at.

Our normal FWC's are selling like crazy right now and seem to be the popular choice once customers have seen the 2 campers side by side and really know the differences.

But, I have the "Classic Model" price list in my office. Most all of our options prices are about the same (or less) on our Classic Model as the ATC campers. I believe our base camper model price is less too. I have a comparison sheet made up from the owner here listing the differences between the FWC and the ATC from what we can gather from pictures and their web site. We have some pretty good things going if you take the time to see what we are all about. The best thing you can do is come up here at stop in to both the FWC and the ATC factory and get a look at what the campers are all about. That way you can make an educated decescion on what YOU will like best.

:)

==============================================================================

Hey Stan, Thanks for your reply to my Tacoma/Eagle question. I'm just wondering if I wait til the show (because I am definitely going to buy) how long will I then have to wait to have my 4WC delivered (and where will it be delivered to and then installed)? I know it's the smart thing to wait but you know how it is when you're ready to buy a goodie.

I am interested in the 4WC Classic you talked about, that sounds interesting.

I know I want the Eagle, with Electric water pump, the 3-way refrigerator, the screen door, the Power Roof Vent Fan, the Yakima Roof Rack System, the Rear Wall steps, and the Auxillary Battery System.

So I'm going to try hard and wait for the show, but I would like a referral in the San Diego area if possible.

Thanks again for replying,

Terry

Not quite North County, but I've got a ATC Bobcat on my 07 Tacoma you're welcome to crawl through up in Redondo Beach, if you're ever passing thru.

Dan

Not quite North County, but I've got a ATC Bobcat on my 07 Tacoma you're welcome to crawl through up in Redondo Beach, if you're ever passing thru.

Dan

Dan, I'd love to get a look at your Bobcat. I could be in Redondo Beach this coming Saturday, Februar 7. Would that work for you?

Thanks a lot,

Terry

I have a 4WC Finch model, It fits in my bed so I can use the tailgate for a porch or to change out of my wetsuit. I live in Encinitas on 3rd and A. Email me if interested.
Scott
bajaahh@me.com

Hi Terry - we will be camping this weekend up in the Mammoth area :cool: (and is available for viewing if you want to come up!), but we will be in town next weekend. Let me know if that works for you.

Dan

Hi Terry - we will be camping this weekend up in the Mammoth area :cool: (and is available for viewing if you want to come up!), but we will be in town next weekend. Let me know if that works for you.

Dan

Hey Dan, Aren't you the Baja guy? I go to Scorpion every September and have some questions about how the camper handles the washboard. I won't be in Mammoth this weekend, but I'd love to see you in town (I'm assuming that's SD) next weekend. Just let me know where and when it would be convenient for you. Thanks for the reply, Terry

Dan

Hey Dan, I don't know if I'm using this reply deal correctly but I would really like to see your Bobcat. I'm really close to making the deal and Marty at ATC has been really prompt and helpful. I can drop by this Saturday, February 6, at your convenience if it's okay. My phone is (760) 944-1027 and my email is daneil.kearney@att.net.

Let me know if you can, and Take Care,

Terry

Hey Dan, I don't know if I'm using this reply deal correctly but I would really like to see your Bobcat. I'm really close to making the deal and Marty at ATC has been really prompt and helpful. I can drop by this Saturday, February 6, at your convenience if it's okay. My phone is (760) 944-1027 and my email is daneil.kearney@att.net.

Let me know if you can, and Take Care,

Terry

Duh, I finally READ your post--you're in Mammoth this weekend, right? Okay, I'm good for next weekend possibly. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks again for your help.

Terry

Dan

Hey Dan, I apologize again for not knowing who you were on your second post, but I bet you're having a great time up there in Mammoth.

It all works out--I ordered my Bobcat from Marty at ATC yesterday. But I do have one question (and I'm pretty sure I saw pics of you with boards on top of yours), what is the best rack system to get if, no laughing please, you're carrying an 11' Munoz, a 10 footer, and maybe a plastic carrier on top?

I now have Bamboo racks on my Tacoma and they've lasted over five years and been all the way to and back from Scorpion several times.

What do you suggest?

Thanks,

Terry

Hi Terry-

Way to be with the new camper! Congratulations - we will all want to see pictures!

I had the guys at ATC put the rails on the roof to accept the Thule-type tracked feet. I was able to scrounge up a combination of feet and rectangular Thule rails with pads for the boards - for an 11' I would probably try to get 3 rails at least to prevent bending.

The roof may get pretty challenging to lift with those sticks - also on mine getting stuff on and off is a little precarious - if you don't have a buddy on the ground to catch the stuff you're taking off you might want a ladder that's tall enough to get to it. I generally surf 6'0" to 6'-6" so I can stash them inside, but sometimes I'll go down to Old Mans with someone whos bringing their Harbour...in which case I let them heft it up there :D

Two things I've thought about:

1. Blocking up the camper with a steel or wood frame off the bed deck to allow you to stash stuff under the camper. While an 11' board wouldn't work (can you just imagine?), it'd be a good place to put the ladder I'm suggesting above.

2. Rigging up a board-carrying solution for the side of the camper, a-la Jimmy Buffett's SUP's shown here:

http://www.margaritaville.com/index.php?page=obx_gallery&ga=78

Anyway, I'd love to get together at some point to see your rig (when you get it) and trade some stories.

Dan

Hi Terry-

Way to be with the new camper! Congratulations - we will all want to see pictures!

I had the guys at ATC put the rails on the roof to accept the Thule-type tracked feet. I was able to scrounge up a combination of feet and rectangular Thule rails with pads for the boards - for an 11' I would probably try to get 3 rails at least to prevent bending.

The roof may get pretty challenging to lift with those sticks - also on mine getting stuff on and off is a little precarious - if you don't have a buddy on the ground to catch the stuff you're taking off you might want a ladder that's tall enough to get to it. I generally surf 6'0" to 6'-6" so I can stash them inside, but sometimes I'll go down to Old Mans with someone whos bringing their Harbour...in which case I let them heft it up there :D

Two things I've thought about:

1. Blocking up the camper with a steel or wood frame off the bed deck to allow you to stash stuff under the camper. While an 11' board wouldn't work (can you just imagine?), it'd be a good place to put the ladder I'm suggesting above.

2. Rigging up a board-carrying solution for the side of the camper, a-la Jimmy Buffett's SUP's shown here:

http://www.margaritaville.com/index.php?page=obx_gallery&ga=78

Anyway, I'd love to get together at some point to see your rig (when you get it) and trade some stories.

Dan

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the congratulations and yes we will have to get together to swap stories someday soon...maybe even in Baja. And thanks for that info and the Jimmy Buffet link, that is a really cool idea.

I do have another question as they're starting to build my camper. Do I need an auxillary battery? I have a headlamp deal I use to read by at night, and since I only basically go to Baja June-November, do I need that extra juice or can I get by with the basic battery setup? What do you think?

Take Care,

Terry

Back
Top Bottom