Buying and Selling Details

Mark Reefer

For any of you who have bought or sold a used FWC, what kind of paperwork did you find to be necessary to complete the transaction?
A bill of sale is a given. The original owner received a certificate of origin from FWC with it's purchase. Does this certificate need to follow the camper to subsequent buyers? The warranty does not pass down to subsequent buyers and I would think in most states the camper would not be registered with the DMV.
So what have you guys done?
TIA.

I only received bill of sales for the two I've purchased and sold. But I live in Nevada and we don't get caught up with a lot of rules.

In Oregon, the first FWC I bought, 1988 Fleet, I just received a bill of sale. When I sold it, I gave the buyer a new bill of sale and a copy of the previous bill of sale. I never did register this with the DMV. The buyer didn't seem to care. I didn't ask.

The new 2016 Fleet I purchased, I received a MSO. Then I registered the camper with Oregon DMV and received plates.

In Oregon, you need the Manufacturing Certificate of Origin should you choose to register it as a pickup camper. In exchange, you will get a title and license plates and a repeating need to part with money every two years to renew the plates. You will have no standard safe place to mount the plates as both electrical & propane lines exist inside both sides of rear camper wall if you have the front dinette Hawk. FWC has not provided a suitable mounting location for the plates probably because so few states require plates.

It has been argued that the popup camper does not require plates in Oregon if attached with "temporary" mounts (i.e., turnbuckles) because it is less than 55" internal height when on the road. If you have a flatbed unit where the camper is bolted to the truck, it is no longer a truck with camper. It is now a motorhome & requires a motorhome license unless the under 55" rule applies. Your mileage may vary depending on your state of residence. Check with your dealer for advice.

Paul
I am neither a lawyer nor a representative of ODOT and really don't know what I'm writing about. :(

From reading DMV rules online, I agree with Paul.

I don't display the plates I received, but I do carry them in the camper.

I like the fact that the camper has a title. Having an MSO would be just as valid in my opinion.

Fellow Oregonian here, fellow FWC owner. I purchased used, received a bill of sale, the bill of sale from the owner that preceded the owner I purchased from and a signed copy of the Craigslist ad for my camper.

Never have registered it, never been questioned about it, all my insurance asked for was the serial number and a couple photos.

I've purchased 2 used FWCs and have only asked for a bill of sale. In Ca there is no registration required so there is no transfer of title required. When I sold one, I only gave the buyer a bill of sale. There is an id # that the factory assigns that you can note on the bill of sale.

This is helpful. Thanks. It seems the Certificate of Origin is only really necessary if the buyer has to register the camper in his/her state of residence.

In Utah, our old Ranger II was not required to have a registration. I recieved a Certificate of Origin from FWC which I turned over to the new owner when I sold it. Our new FWC Grandby however was required by the State to have a title and a RV sticker. I paid California sales tax on the '98 model Ranger II shell when I picked it up in California, and Utah sales tax and registration when we bought it in Salt Lake City. It has to be registered every year just like our cars. I believe that is the rule for 2015 and newer campers.

Found this list on "Truck Camper Adventure" site dated 2013. I imagine it's still pertinent.

I. List of States that Require the Truck Camper to be Registered:
Idaho
Indiana
Maine
Mississippi
Montana
Oregon
Rhode Island
Tennessee
Utah
Washington

II. List of States that Require the Truck Camper to be Titled:
Idaho
Indiana
Michigan
Mississippi
Montana
Nevada
Ohio
Oregon
Tennessee
Washington

Mark Reefer said:
Found this list on "Truck Camper Adventure" site dated 2013. I imagine it's still pertinent.

I. List of States that Require the Truck Camper to be Registered:
Idaho
Indiana
Maine
Mississippi
Montana
Oregon
Rhode Island
Tennessee
Utah
Washington

II. List of States that Require the Truck Camper to be Titled:
Idaho
Indiana
Michigan
Mississippi
Montana
Nevada
Ohio
Oregon
Tennessee
Washington
As of 2015, Utah belongs in the second column: http://dmv.utah.gov/vehicles/campers

Oregon DMV is glad to register and title a FWC as a camper with a MSO even though it is not required -after all it is additional revenue. Paul is correct that it becomes a motor home if bolted down to the truck or a travel trailer if bolted to a utility trailer and falls under a whole different definition then. I talked with a DMV supervisor and they said that size is measured for their fees, for requirements to travel down the road, and meeting definitions in a non-extended position. A motor home with a slide out is measured with the slide in so it meets the width requirements to travel on Oregon roads. The trailers with a slide out sleeping tent in front or back is measured for assessment on length with the tent area slid in. And a FWC is measured with the pop top down. This means that it generally would not meet the height requirements and would be classified like a canopy unless bolted down even with the full camper equipment. Title or registration is also not required for most insurance companies that I have contacted. The listing posted earlier from “Truck Camper Adventure” site for what is required in Oregon is only good for non-pop up campers that meet the height requirement, it is incorrect for FWC. With that said, a bill of sale with the camper number on it should be all that is needed here in Oregon.

Good information.
When you say "canopy", is that the same as "truck cap" or "topper?"

I contacted the Indiana BMV when we bought our FWC in 2014 and they couldn't answer any of my questions. There also wasn't anything on the website. I exhausted all efforts to find information and decided I had gone beyond the normal, thus no registration or title. jd

Mark, yes canopy just meant a topper. FWC here in Tigard says that this issue of registration and title keeps coming up with them. They do not tell people one way or another, but the regulations are very clear and out on the DMV website. DMV officials are also consistent with those regulations on height requirements.

If the previous owner has a certificate of origin, I'd ask him/her for the original. You'll probably never need it in Oregon, but, some day when you sell the camper you'll have it to help establish a chain of ownership. This could be pretty helpful to a new owner who lives in a state where they have to get a title!

I imagine to be useful to new owner, the certificate of origin would need to be signed and notarized to show a chain of ownership. More bureaucracy.

Well, it won't do the previous owner any good, and might help you at some point, so why not? OTOH, there's a lot of demand in Oregon for good campers, and no title / certificate needed. I don't have one...

Back
Top Bottom