Buying used Hawk - please help us pack for first trip!

There are a couple mentions on here about having the door open when lowering the top. I find it better to have the door closed and the fantastic fan running on full exhaust mode, this helps to suck the sides in so that I don't have to make a trip around the camper lifting the top and tucking in fabric.

As always YMMV.

gallery_5772_2_184174.jpg

Given that you will be traveling with your family and you want to camp. You probably want to spend as little time loading the camper as possible. You can basically do everything before you head on your trip.

This is what I did when I loaded my camper in an RV sales parking lot. I made a 7 pin connector to wire the campers electrical. I used the internal tie down points in my truck bed to secure the camper.

If I were to do things again, I would contact FWC before the trip. They will send you the exact measurements where to install your eyebolts fro your truck. Eyebolts are affordable and you can have this part done properly before you leave for your trip. You can also ensure that you have the correct length for your truck box. You can also do it on a nice day and not feel rushed.

You can also have your 7 pin to Atwood 3 pin connector fabricated before you go. At least fabricate the 7 pin end, you can always tie into the camping wiring in less than 10 minutes. Bring wire cutters and quick connects.

Just transfer the camper, plug in, install your turn buckles and go.

As mentioned earlier have a few extension links for the turnbuckles. I would also bring ratchet straps just incase.

Also bring a test light and multimeter and extra fuses just in case.

On the camping end, I would bring a small tent. You can throw all your bags and stuff you are not using in there and keep the camper clean.

Good advice about how to bring the top down. I think our rough plan is to stay in campgrounds on the way home. Will only be 3 or 4 nights, outside nashville, great smoky mountains, then somewhere along the blue ridge and possible one more in northern VA before being home Monday before lunchtime.

This will hopefully be a nice little shakedown run to get a good idea of things.

Any more comments on the bedding? I think my wife is leaning towards proper bed clothing that she can leave setup and ready to go.

Bill - the truck has already been to the local FWC dealer out towards Philly to get the camper install package, so I have the eye-bolts installed as per spec and the wiring ready.

Incidentally, how easy is it to access the top of the camper and to move the Thule rack? We are planning to bring a Thule box with a lot of our gear since the truck bed will be out in the elements for the trip down.

The Hawk has the full Yakima rack system but no rear wall steps. The cross bars appear to currently be spread about as far apart as possible forward and aft.

It's not easy to adjust the racks without the use of a ladder.
You could use a picnic table in a pinch... and turn the truck around a couple times.

Being you will be loading the camper this gives you the opportunity to lower the camper on the jacks all the way and make your adjustments before you raise it back up to load it into your truck.

Once it's loaded in your truck I wouldn't plan on adjusting them without a ladder unless you are a monkey.

BTW bring allen keys. They also may be a bit stiff to slide, being there is 2 years worth of dirt in the tracks.

fireball said:
Read the manual? What kind of advice is that?!?!?! :)

FWC publishes and posts on-line a comprehensive set of owner instructions/manuals on using their campers. Plus each appliance has an owners manual that FWC posts; or, you can go to the manufacturers website for the manuals.

FWC manuals and instructions...online. I assumed you already knew this. Lots of "should knows and must knows" to avoid minor and serious screw ups.

Phil

fireball said:
Read the manual? What kind of advice is that?!?!?! :)
Wallowa said:
FWC publishes and posts on-line a comprehensive set of owner instructions/manuals on using their campers. Plus each appliance has an owners manual that FWC posts; or, you can go to the manufacturers website for the manuals.

FWC manuals and instructions...online. I assumed you already knew this. Lots of "should knows and must knows" to avoid minor and serious screw ups.

Phil
With a small glass, some ice and a little Pyrat Rum..all things begin to gel

after 71 years......it all starts somewhere...usually the best place ;)

By the way...Wallowa...I may get up your way this next year...to fish some kok's

I found that having the door closed but the Fantastic fan blowing air out helped pull the sides in when lowering the top. Is that something I shouldn't do? Also, as a precaution to something accidentally getting turned on, such as the outside lights, I've turned off the electricity and flipped the light switch to make sure it's off.

Hey, I don't mean to be negative at all, and certainly not condescending since I do not consider myself Mr. Camper. Somehow this all seems a bit of an over-the-top dialog, especially for a person who was tent camping for a long period of time and is going on a mere 4-day trip. What in the world could go wrong other than a few minor inconveniences that are all part of the 'adventure" of getting out there in your new camper. For heaven's sake, as compared to tent camping, you are moving UP in terms of planning for survival.

Go for it. Risk the adventure. Don't think for a moment you have all bases covered because there are suprises around all corners.

I.E....have fun with the ADVENTURE of the unkown.

Chris

On my very first overnighter in my new camper I discovered that I needed a measuring cup. It's always the little things. Live & learn.

Yukon said:
Hey, I don't mean to be negative at all, and certainly not condescending since I do not consider myself Mr. Camper. Somehow this all seems a bit of an over-the-top dialog, especially for a person who was tent camping for a long period of time and is going on a mere 4-day trip. What in the world could go wrong other than a few minor inconveniences that are all part of the 'adventure" of getting out there in your new camper. For heaven's sake, as compared to tent camping, you are moving UP in terms of planning for survival.

Go for it. Risk the adventure. Don't think for a moment you have all bases covered because there are suprises around all corners.

I.E....have fun with the ADVENTURE of the unkown.

Chris
Chris - you are right, this probably is a bit over the top! We are certainly not planning for survival, this is a trip along or near major towns and highways and at any point in time I doubt we'll be more than a few miles away from a Target or Wal-mart or any other store that would serve our needs. We will be away from the convenience of two day free shipping on Amazon prime, so that is roughing it a bit?

The information here has been very helpful....tricks about how to easily close the camper, thoughts on what to bring, etc. What is at stake here is an enjoyable first trip for my family. Start them off on the right foot and I can handily convince my wife that not only was this "investment" worth it, but also that it is so much fun we should schedule another 40+ nights out for the rest of the summer and fall!

Pillows, sleeping bags and a toothbrush is all I ever feel I HAVE to bring.

I've had my Hawk for just over a year now. Prior to that we had tent camping down to a science. Trying to figure out what to bring and what not to bring in a new camper is a challenge. Usually you end up bringing too much stuff and it ends up getting in the way (that's why I suggest bringing a small tent to put your stuff in).

After at least 15 separate trips ranging from 2 days to 2 weeks, we are still trying to figure out what to bring. More so, what not to bring.

I really find I have a much better time if we travel light. Having to improvise a little can be very fun.

What we have also found fun is going to thrift shops to equip the camper. I got brand new plates that fit the cupboards perfectly and a few other items for next to nothing.

Most important, have a fun trip. I'm sure you will.

Always been my mantra in the past: light and fast and fun. An 8-month old requires a good bit of gear, so things change a bit!

Let us know how things turn out. It will be interesting to see how you fasten your Thule carrier to the top.

It's always a little strange heading out on that first trip with no tailgate :)

Have fun!!!

FYI...FWC sez in their instruction manual to open the door when closing or opening the camper top...otherwise you can damage the structure of the roof by putting excessive twist on top..yes, it is an adventure...but you don't want to damage your new to you camper...fans [assuming 2] even on full will not beat the air pulled in with the door open and top is pushed up or let down; why risk it?....just a thought.

Phil

I may be buying an 8' ladder to access the roof rack to mount the Thule box! Or standing on my wife's shoulders :)

The truck is packed so needed to bring the box to keep things dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Success!

Baby is asleep up top. Mom and I sitting by the fire with a cold one. Life is good :)

ImageUploadedByWander The West1462587677.253524.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Back
Top Bottom