Cabela's AGM Camper Battery

Quint

Advanced Member
I going to finally install a camper battery. I've read a lot of recommendations for a good deep cycle AGM here and the Cabela's looks good. But I do have a couple of questions. First, this is the Cabela's Advanced Angler AGM battery right? It's ok to use this marine battery in the camper because it's and AGM right? Also, I see a lot of people buy the group 24. Do you know how many amp hours this battery has in it? They're on sale now and I going to order one very soon. Finally, why not buy a group 27 or bigger to get more reserve power?

One more thing, I'm going to install the battery in the usual space at the front of the camper under the couch. My camper didn't have a battery initially or the wiring. I had been using the starter battery Optima Yellow top for the camper and the truck. Anyway, how do you secure the battery? Tie downs? Heavy duty velcro straps? What?

Thanks all.

I don't see any reason not to get the biggest one you can. I used a piece of all thread covered with plastic to hold mine down.

I going to finally install a camper battery. I've read a lot of recommendations for a good deep cycle AGM here and the Cabela's looks good. But I do have a couple of questions. First, this is the Cabela's Advanced Angler AGM battery right? It's ok to use this marine battery in the camper because it's and AGM right? Also, I see a lot of people buy the group 24. Do you know how many amp hours this battery has in it? They're on sale now and I going to order one very soon. Finally, why not buy a group 27 or bigger to get more reserve power?

One more thing, I'm going to install the battery in the usual space at the front of the camper under the couch. My camper didn't have a battery initially or the wiring. I had been using the starter battery Optima Yellow top for the camper and the truck. Anyway, how do you secure the battery? Tie downs? Heavy duty velcro straps? What?

Thanks all.

I just put a new battery in my camper and went with the Sears DieHard AGM Marine Battery, Platinum PM-1 - Group Size 31M; Cost was $239.00. It is a 100 AH battery.

It was a tough choice between it and the Cabelas AGM group size 30. Both batteries have about identical specifications, but the Sears has a 3 year full replacement warranty while the Cabelas is only 18 months.

Here's the specs for the Diehard:
Item Weight: 75.0 lbs.
Battery Type:
Transportation Type: Marine and recreational vehicle
Battery Group Size: 31M
Temperate Zone: North or South
Power Configuration:
Voltage: 12.0
Power Ratings:
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA at 0 deg.F): 1150
Reserve Capacity (RC): 205 min.
Amp Hours at 20 Hour Rate: 100
Design & Construction:
Container Material: Polycarbonate/polyester
Warranties & Coverage:
Months in Use Free Replacement: 36
Dimensions:
Height: 9-1/2 in.
Width: 6-4/5 in.
Length: 13 in.

The other factor is when I'm on a trip, several states away from home....it would be much easier to get the Sears battery warrantied...than the Cabelas. Both batteries are about the same price when you consider the shipping cost from Cabelas.

The FWC factory puts the battery in a battery box secured with bolts...then the battery is secured in the box with a velcro strap. I think the all-thread craig333 mentioned is a better way to go.

The Cabelas AGM batteries so far have been a good investment. I have mounted two group 24 series in the same space where the factory mounts their battery box. I removed the plastic box, installed the batteries on their ends. I made a bracket for the batteries to sit in, then made another bracket for the top of the batteries, the terminals on the Cabelas allow for clearance on the side of the battery mounting area. The battery performance has been great, last trip with three nights of running heater, lights, refer, etc., I was using only one battery ! The specs for the group 24 series from Cabelas are strong for this size of battery. I'm glad so far that I purchased these units. As far as Cabelas calling these batteries "marine batteries", they are AGM and worth the money. After you install them in your rig, you can call them "rv batteries".

I don't know who makes the cabelas's batteries. But cabela is a pretty good size company and I'm sure they wouldn't want to carry cheapies and deal with unhappy customers. The sears platinum I've heard nothing but good things about. Think I'll go that way when my truck is ready for new batteries.

I know some people who just go down to the local parts store and buy the cheapest battery they have and expect to replace it every two years. I have and probably will again, have to walk back to civilization, but it won't be because of batteries. I personally don't think thats a good place to pinch pennies.

The sears platinum I've heard nothing but good things about. Think I'll go that way when my truck is ready for new batteries.

I purchased the Sears Diehard Platinum based on the recommendation of craig333 from another thread on this site.

Much thanks craig333.

Back
Top Bottom