Cabeza Prieta NWR, Arizona

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
Have any of you folks visited Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge in southwest Arizona?

I'm going to visit Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument a few weeks from now, and I'm considering adding Cabeza Prieta NWR to my trip. I've been to OPCNM 2 or 3 times -- love it -- but never Cabeza Prieta.

A post in the "Stuck in Yuma..." thread reminded me to ask WTW folks for info on CP NWR.
So...any suggestions, tips, advice from those who've been there -- especially if you've been there in the past few years...?

Thanks.
:)

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Neat! Did you notice the photographer's name... Barry Goldwater
I wasn't sure it was THE Barry Goldwater. I see Wikipedia says he did many photos for Arizona Highways. What an interesting guy!

-OC

Doug Stewart said:
Hmmm, seems like Cabeza Prieta is not very well know, Mark.
Yep, I think that's true. I've been in the general area myself several times but never visited it...seems like I remember reading something like "inhospitable" and "severe", so maybe that's why I -- and others -- haven't been.
Probably one of those areas where the Feds are keeping aliens and their spacecraft, so visitation by the public is discouraged.

MarkBC said:
Yep, I think that's true. I've been in the general area myself several times but never visited it...seems like I remember reading something like "inhospitable" and "severe", so maybe that's why I -- and others -- haven't been.
Probably one of those areas where the Feds are keeping aliens and their spacecraft, so visitation by the public is discouraged.
Likely so, Mark, likely so. Severe and inhospitable sound fine to me. Wanna meet down there this winter?

Looks like a place travel in numbers. Not sure I would travel there alone. Jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

I'm going to be doing the El Camino Del Diablo in a couple of weeks, I'll let you know what its like. You do need to get permits to enter the area. As I understand it, the border patrol and military patrol the area heavily and if you are caught without a pass, the fines are steep.

Looking forward to your report, MtnToSea!

In the meantime, I just found Jonathan Hanson's article to go with that first video in my post above. I see the article says part of the route is closed mid-March to mid-July. He took the north road out via Christmas Pass but mentions 'bulldust' west of Tule may be a challenge for low-clearance vehicles choosing to go that way. I assume that's what this next video calls 'silt beds' (starting at 0:22) :

That bicyclist looks like he's having a great time!

Was at Cabeza Prieta a few weeks ago. Did a 17 day backpack there in the mid-90s. Once in the area you're likely to see plenty of Fish & Wildlife rangers and Border Patrol due mostly to pot smugglers and a illegal immigrants. Good place to get lots of extended day hikes. Requires a permit which can be obtained in Yuma or Ajo. Same goes for adjacent Bombing Range. No hiking in the B. Range.

The trip trough the Cabeza Prieta and the Goldwater Range this weekend was a lot of fun and a very easy trip. I took my Jeep and not my truck and FWC but a full sized truck would have no problem. The Border Patrol is all over the area and are in trucks, so not an issue. There are a couple of spots where the brush encroaches into the road, so you will get some desert pin stripping but nothing that shouldn't buff out. There is one spot on the Camino Del Diablo that has very fine powdered dirt that causes quit a cloud of dust (Moon dust) and the road has deep ruts, but not really an issue getting through it. I never needed four wheel drive during the whole trip. It is very remote and even though the Border Patrol is seen frequently, I wouldn't do the area alone.

MtnToSea said:
The trip trough the Cabeza Prieta and the Goldwater Range this weekend was a lot of fun and a very easy trip. I took my Jeep and not my truck and FWC but a full sized truck would have no problem. The Border Patrol is all over the area and are in trucks, so not an issue. There are a couple of spots where the brush encroaches into the road, so you will get some desert pin stripping but nothing that shouldn't buff out. There is one spot on the Camino Del Diablo that has very fine powdered dirt that causes quit a cloud of dust (Moon dust) and the road has deep ruts, but not really an issue getting through it. I never needed four wheel drive during the whole trip. It is very remote and even though the Border Patrol is seen frequently, I wouldn't do the area alone.
Thanks for the report, MtnToSea. :)
So, you took a Jeep and didn't use 4x4. Do you think that a full size truck (with camper) would need to engage 4x4 in that deep-dust spot?

In general, are there features, sights, in crossing Cabeza Prieta that you can't/wouldn't see in Organ Pipe Cactus Nat Mon or in Kofa NWR? Or is the unique attraction mainly that it's remote and little-visited?

I don't think there would be any issue getting through the moon dust area in 2 wheel drive. You would probably see the same type of scenery in Organ Pipe. To get to the Devil's Hwy we came down Bates Well Rd just south of Ajo which cuts through the western part or Organ Pipe. On the Devil's Hwy itself, other than a couple of abandoned wells, small buildings and 2 remote Border Patrol stations, theres really only beautiful desert vistas to enjoy. When you get your permits, you will get a map of the Barry M Goldwater Range. Around the Copper Mountains there are some cool sights. On the west side around D6, D7, D8 on the map are tanks sitting by the side of the road to explore. On the east side is the Betty Lee Mine and at F7 is Little Bagdad. Little Bagdad is a training village that the military built for urban training. You can wander around the village and check out the buildings and equipment. The Copper Mountain area can be reached easily from the 8 Fwy at Welton and Tacna.

Thanks, sounds good.
If I/we do traverse CP it'll probably be from within OPCNM, we'll get permits when we pass through Ajo.

My truck has 4x4...but sometimes if 4x4 is REQUIRED that can be an indicator of likelihood of getting stuck. Sounds like the risk is low.
Thanks again.

I've been to Cabeza Prieta a couple of times. Beautiful country but sadly I had visits from both drug runners, people runners, and border patrol in trucks, and in helicopters. If you are in that area, I would suggest KOFA National Wildlife Refuge as a wonderful place to spend a week or so exploring with few if any other people crossing your path.

Back
Top Bottom