Cabeza Prieta

Alaskan Snowbirds

If any of you are familiar with the trip from Ajo to Yuma (vicinity) through the Cabaza Prieta NWR we would appreciate a little information.

I understand 4X4 is required to obtain a permit to make the trip.

I'm comfortable with mountains (steep/rocky) but not experienced with desert/sand. Is it an easy run for a 4X4 with a prudent driver in good weather, or are we likely to have to put extraction/recovery gear into play at some point no matter what?

We're running 295/70R17 BFG All Terrain TA's, automatic transmission and limited slip rear/open front (and...for whatever it's worth...I think 3.73:1).

Also, I hear a few comments on banditos on this route and don't leave rig alone...any experience (good or bad) on that?

Thanks!

I'd like to know the answers as well. I do know thatOrgan Pipe NM has closed it's back roads to travel because of the bandidos, too bad.

Off Site Information

Barko1,

I found several posts on a google www search, some from a few years ago, and most are along the lines of this one from a few days ago:
____
Re: Cabeza Prieta Wilderness
by xxxxxxxx» Jan 07 2009

Border patrol regularly maintains the road now. It was the easiest I've seen it last year when we made the drive. The only spot that could be trouble is the Pinta Sands. It was badly rutted but firm and easy if you straddled the ruts. But I've seen the sand so loose and deep I was pushing it like a shovel with the front spoiler of my Jeep Cherokee, which I was driving with some speed so as not to get stuck.
Recommend at least one vehicle have a good tow strap; just in case.

Christmas Pass road and the road on the other side of the Fortuna mtns heading to Yuma near the mine will be rougher as it is not maintained as well.
_________

The Pinta Sands sounds like the most interesting spot in all the posts, though none of them mentioned getting stuck. A lot of folks talked about "airing down" their tires...wonder how much??...before they started and said in the Pinta Sands area it felt like they were in deep mud as far as control.

Christmas Pass sounded like the other "interesting" spot, sounded mostly rough instead of deep silt/sand. I noted a picture of one guy going through with a trailer though, so the FWC should be OK.

None of the information I found was about individuals making the run, only groups. Some were 4X4 clubs. It sounds like there are still bad guys making their way through the area but that the volume is down quite a bit from the early '00's.

Apparently there are some "easy" (2WD) short options and we might do a sampler of that just to get our feet wet (dusty?) this year, or, just go until we don't feel comfortable and come back.

Cheers!

Been there

I have spent some time in Cabeza Prieta. It is some beautiful country. It was never grazed by cattle so it has most of it native plant systems intact. But, I found it a stressful place to be. We almost go hit by a Mexican truck being chased by the Border Patrol, then we were buzzed by helicopters endlessly. So, we packed up and headed back north to one of Arizona's best places: KOFA National Wildlife Refuge. Also never grazed, you can spend a week in here, exploring around and practically never see another person. Definitely 4x4, low gears most of the time.

Do we need a winch, etc??

Gene,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner...we were out wandering...:)

KOFA is another spot we would like to explore.

We did stop at the CP office in Ajo this last trip and picked up maps and information. Good, helpful, folks there. We didn't make it out to the preserve though. We thought we would at least go until we got uncomfortable but there are so many places and, even in retirement, so little time.

Next year for both CP and KOFA, Lord willing and the creek don't rise!

In your opinion, is it likely that a prudent person would need any equipment other than 4wd with good tires to be comfortable in either CP or KOFA?? (i.e. winch & anchor/hi-lift jack/shovel/pick/etc.)

Thanks for the information!
Ak. Snowbirds

I'm sure Gene will answer you but per his recomendations Pam and went to Kofa. At the time I had my T100 and all we needed was 4wheel drive. We spent 5 days there and didn't see a soul until we drove out. It has spectacular scenery lots of big horns and many other animals. It is an AZ gem but its pack in and pack out and be self contained there are no services there.

That Sounds Good!

Thanks for the information chnlisle.

KOFA sounds like a spot we'd really enjoy and not having to gear up real heavy with "get unstuck" equipment is a plus, though by next winter maybe we'll be better equipped.

Seems like I remember you had a post about Peppersauce?? We stopped there for a night a couple months ago....can't remember exactly when, I'll have to look at Susan's trip log...and enjoyed it. We got in after dark and weren't sure about it (HUGE trees and moon out, Susan said "Kind'a spooky!", but the next day in the sunshine it was a pretty spot). We did get a little traffic through late at night...seems like they were headed to the place just down the road from the campground.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom