cabinet latches & external water tap replacement/fix

PeterV

Advanced Member
Just did a 3-week road trip, the camper was amazing! A couple of things I need to fix soon, and wanted people's feedback on:

1) The main cabinet door (under the sink) latch stopped working altogether. Pressing it in, it pops back out within a few seconds, especially when warm out. Is there a better latch I can replace it with? What have people done? I know the newer campers use a different design altogether, which I don't think I can easily switch to (mine is circa 2008, the "button" kind). Alternatively where do I purchase the exact same replacement?

2) The water tap on the outside has gotten harder and harder to turn/operate. When it's hot out (like 90 degrees), it's nearly impossible to turn, the plastic bends/feels like it's about to break. Is there a recommended replacement that is better/easier to operate? Pic included:

tap.jpg

For under the sink cabinet-I put a latch on the outside when mine started to open up all the time-you know one of those cheap ones with a hook and eye bolt-also put them on all the drawers too-got tired of using "duck" tape to keep everything closed-again I'm lazy so my cheap latches saved me the problem of buying and replacing the right ones'-also much faster. I tried to use one of the good type of sliding bolts on it but they were not level enough! Hey I've had my water tap/Granby for almost seven years and it is always tight-just don't forget to open it up when you come back from your first winter trip or everything freezes up :oops: !

Smoke

I do my latches like Smoke. My water tap works smoothly. They're only a couple bucks at an RV place. May be easiest to just replace it with a new one.

I found out someone makes aluminum flanges that do not break/fail as easily as the plastic ones, which apparently deteriorate in the sun and heat. Just ordered one of these together with a brass 1/8" thread valve (which has to be bought separately), in the interest of never having to do this again:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171070722860
I actually use this valve a lot, to fill up water bottles etc. while out on trips - I'd say I use it more than the inside tap! So having something that works well outside is quite important.

On the latch front, I really want to keep the clean look.... I wonder which one of these works better than the "bulldog" one and is a direct replacement, anyone has experience with any of these??
http://www.dyersonline.com/hardware/cabinet-drawer/catches.html

Peter,

Our camper is from the era of the sliding cabinet doors. I made my own doors a few years back and used latches similar to what you just ordered. They have worked well for me.

We have had to replace the little plastic drain several times. I finally ordered a few online and just replace as necessary. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade to a metal one though. BTW, you say the little plastic handle feels like it will break when they drain gets hard to turn. It will. So do replace it soon.

Thanks for the info, Peter. I just ordered the latches too, after griping about using a shoe lace to tie the doors & drawers together :oops:

We also use the back water drain quite a bit also, and the nylon petcock does not give much confidence. I checked out the flange (only) that you found on Ebay. What type of drain valve did you go with? Does it have a nipple or something to direct the water?

I ended up ordering this valve: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170280002494?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Because I wanted something to direct the water down for easily filling water bottles etc. Hope I ordered the right thing, I guess the 1/8" NPT thread is the important part, there are a lot of options when you search around :)

I'm excited, this should be A LOT better than the cheap plastic that is so annoying to use!

I also had my drain valve break. Did not like the valve or the location. I put in a 90 degree elbow and a nylon tube to the back and installed a hose bib valve. Works great for when I need water out side and I hook a hose to it when I drain the tank at home so I go not get water everywhere.

gallery_1903_342_140006.jpg

PeterV said:
I found out someone makes aluminum flanges that do not break/fail as easily as the plastic ones, which apparently deteriorate in the sun and heat. Just ordered one of these together with a brass 1/8" thread valve (which has to be bought separately), in the interest of never having to do this again:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171070722860
Thanks for the links PeterV. I just ordered the flange and valve. What a great find.

Mine still works fine (still on the original too) but I ordered one up anyway. Only a matter of time before I need it.

Back
Top Bottom