Calaveras Big Trees, Tunnel Tree has fallen in storm

billharr

Calaveras Big Trees, Tunnel Tree has fallen in storm

Sad, took my grandkids there.

bigtree.jpg

15873285_10154814677455135_3372338653386141552_n-001.jpg

The tree's days were numbered when we cut a huge hole in it's trunk. Considering the huge storms we've had over the years, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

^^^^^ I thought the same when I saw it in October. There's some work to be done before they open the grove again for visitors.

Yea why put the road around the tree when you can cut a big hole in it's life force to drive through it.....

Well, we've come a long ways since people did that. Musta made some sound when it fell.

We came down the hill for a morning appointment in San Andreas so we stopped at Big Trees State Park and visited the fallen giant this afternoon. The Sequoia here are truly beautiful. Stop for a visit/stay when you can.

ski3pin said:
We came down the hill for a morning appointment in San Andreas so we stopped at Big Trees State Park and visited the fallen giant this afternoon. The Sequoia here are truly beautiful. Stop for a visit/stay when you can.
That's another one of our favorites. The campsites are nice and there's a lot of good walking trails.
Visit the south grove ,it's a lot less crowded.
When we had our cabin just up the road we could walk there and during the winter and if the snow was low enough skiing
through the trees was such a great time.
The tunnel tree will be miss though.
Ski thanks for the thoughts.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom