california title and license

sourdough

Newbie here. I am looking at buying a used FWC in California and wondering will there be a title or license.

Nope

No title or registration needed for small truck campers here in California

: )

Just a bill of sale works just fine

thanks Stan. That's another plus to a FWC.

I feel like a young kid again with a new bike. After looking at several Hawks over many months, I pulled the trigger on a 2010. It doesn't have water, sink or frigerator. It was special ordered as a extended cabover with jacks, furance, aux. battery, dual fan-tastic fans, screen door, 8' awning, opening front window, rear flood lights, fluorescent ceiling lights, privacy curtains and multiple 12v outlets. Doesn't quite fit right on my '03 Tundra, but damn if it ain't a genuine FWC. I hope I can live with the way it fits my old trunk, maybe need a new one LOL . Soon as it's properly mounted and wired into truck electrical, I'll be putting it to good use and time will tell.

I feel like a young kid again with a new bike. After looking at several Hawks over many months, I pulled the trigger on a 2010. It doesn't have water, sink or frigerator. It was special ordered as a extended cabover with jacks, furance, aux. battery, dual fan-tastic fans, screen door, 8' awning, opening front window, rear flood lights, fluorescent ceiling lights, privacy curtains and multiple 12v outlets. Doesn't quite fit right on my '03 Tundra, but damn if it ain't a genuine FWC. I hope I can live with the way it fits my old trunk, maybe need a new one LOL . Soon as it's properly mounted and wired into truck electrical, I'll be putting it to good use and time will tell.

Good luck with your new camper.It may not fit your 03 tundra as well as a camper made for that truck,but it looks like that it sits high enough that you can change to a newer truck with a deeper bed in the future.
Have fun with your toy.
Frank

A really big tip here for those who live in CA.

If you have an attached camper on your truck, go to the AAA or the DMV, soon.

You are paying for a "commercial vehicle" license fee. If you have 1 letter in your plate number, you are a commercial truck, paying weight fees. Having a camper qualifies for a non-commercial license. Your registration will be half. Trust me on this one!

Be prepared to unbolt your old plates when you do this,...Believe me, it will pay off!
It WILL be your best your trip to the DMV

...and most likely the only one...

~DR

PS:

CA titles all pick-up trucks as a commercial vehicle. Most people don't even realize it and just pay. 1 letter only (the rest numbers) on your license plate # = a commercial vehicle, with weight fees.

A really big tip here for those who live in CA.

If you have an attached camper on your truck, go to the AAA or the DMV, soon.

You are paying for a "commercial vehicle" license fee. If you have 1 letter in your plate number, your are a commercial truck, paying weight fees. Having a camper qualifies for a non-commercial license. Your registration will be half. Trust me on this one!

Be prepared to unbolt your old plates when you do this,...Believe me, it will pay off!
It WILL be your best your trip to the DMV

...and most likely the only one...

~DR

Thanks DR for the heads up.My camper is full time on the truck.I'll be making a trip to AAA to get the non commercial rate.
Frank

I know how you feel about the fit, I have a 2005 Toyota Tundra with a 2005 Hawk, it kind of dwarfs the truck but it's what I have. On windy days I can feel the tug above the cab and below extended bed area (there's a mod for that)and I burn a bit more gas going over the pass compared to the Four Wheel Ranger II I originally had. Been looking at upgrading to a bigger truck as well, improvements are always coming, like the new Chevy and GMC's, bigger payloads, 8 speed transmission even on the 1500 but am waiting to see what the 3/4 tons look like. Oh and Toyota is rumored to have a new truck this year as well. Have fun with that new camper, it seems like it has most of the essentials needed.

I know how you feel about the fit, I have a 2005 Toyota Tundra with a 2005 Hawk, it kind of dwarfs the truck but it's what I have. On windy days I can feel the tug above the cab and below extended bed area (there's a mod for that)and I burn a bit more gas going over the pass compared to the Four Wheel Ranger II I originally had. Been looking at upgrading to a bigger truck as well, improvements are always coming, like the new Chevy and GMC's, bigger payloads, 8 speed transmission even on the 1500 but am waiting to see what the 3/4 tons look like. Oh and Toyota is rumored to have a new truck this year as well. Have fun with that new camper, it seems like it has most of the essentials needed.

James, I didn't realize there were different size Hawks in '05. I was thinking newer Hawks like my '10 are up sized for the newer truck beds.

James, I didn't realize there were different size Hawks in '05. I was thinking newer Hawks like my '10 are up sized for the newer truck beds.

I'm not sure on that. If your hawk is pushed to the front of your bed, yours certainly seems a bit longer. My Hawk sits right to the rear edge of the bed, yours hangs over.

I'm not sure on that. If your hawk is pushed to the front of your bed, yours certainly seems a bit longer. My Hawk sits right to the rear edge of the bed, yours hangs over.

Mine is tight to front. It is longer and taller than what I've seen on most 1st gen. Tundras. It hung out on the 2nd gen too.

craig333 said:
Rotate all you like.

Unless you have something in the bed (lawnmower,dirt bike or load going to the dump, etc) when you have the camper off. The friendly CHP officer will issue you a fixit ticket. You will then go to DMV and pay for the commercial licence and with the new CA budget may be back fees.

I had a Van that I put non-commercial plates on. Had my dirt bike in the back and got stopped by the CHP. I was told my "house car" was "laden with motorcycle". Several hundred dollars later I had commercial plates.

Back
Top Bottom