California to Minnesota plus Glacier NP.

billharr

Going to make the drive from Stockton to Bemidji MN next month. Son in laws family has a cabin there and he has wanted us to come back for a while. I will drive the Tundra w/Hawk and the son in law will have a new to him 2003 Tioga 29' class C, so not much boon-docking going back. We plan on hitting the major sights, Tetons, Yellowstone and Rushmore. Son in law and grandkids have not seen them. Coming back the wife and I plan to drive over to Glacier NP as the kids head back to CA.

Any small must see places on the way, that any WTW members would recommend?

Go to Polebridge Mercantile for a huckleberry bearclaw (or three) and consider spending a night or two up that way.

Depending on how you go through Idaho on the way Craters of the Moon might be worth a stop.

Beartooth Pass would be definite in the Tundra, not sure how much fun the drive would be in the Class C.

Have you ever been to the Teddy Roosevelt NP in western North Dakota?
If not you might think about that route on the going home route. It's I 94 across ND ,you pick it up out of Fargo ND.
It would be on the way to Glacier ,also the Custer Battlefield ,a nice place lots of history.
As you head east from Yellowstone, there are some nice campgrounds in the Big Horns,up Tensleep Canyon pass that's US 16 east in the Greybull area,at Buffalo you can get I 90 east than take US 16 to Rushmore.

In Teton a good place to stay is the Gros Ventre campground.Less crowded and
you don't need a reservation
Bear Tooth pass is great but don't think a motor home would be a fun thing to drive there.
If you exit the park at the north east corner (Cooke City) Chief Joseph pass from the Cooke City area to Cody. An easier pass but very beautiful.
At Glacier the lakes on the west side would be great for "your rig". We stayed at Bowman and had a nice campground.
Also that's where the Polebridge store is,a must for the bear claws.
Have a good trip.
Frank

Wheat, Montana is a producer, miller, wholesaler, and retailer of fine baked goods and flours/batters and sandwiches/coffee located at the junction of I-90 and US 287 at Three Forks, MT, maybe 25 miles west of Bozeman. Plenty of large vehicle parking and right on the exit.

I second Teddy Roosevelt NP in the ND badlands. You'll probably want to swing up I-94 to/from MN, anyway, and for sure you'll want to avoid I-90 anywhere near Sturgis, SD in late July and most of August. Several hundred thousand bikers can be a lot of fun, but they'll have every campsite and hotel room taken for many miles around. Go to Rushmore on whichever leg of the trip is furthest from August 8-14.

Foy

A surprise landmark when I went through North Dakota last September:

20150925_162640b.jpg

No...I didn't stop -- other than to snap the picture. ;)

Thanks for the replies, looks like pie will be on the menu. Frank I have done the Bighorn Mountains years ago. Hand water pump in one campground was the best water I have ever had.

Hi Bill

We did a volunteer stint on Lake Superior last summer and came home across I90.....one little surprise is that many very small towns through the upper Midwest still have "town campgrounds" up and running...often with water and often free for the asking.

These are often left over from the Tin Can Tourist days of the prewar era and I find them a good glimpse of the pre Interstate pre Disney World days of travel.

Just a thought and enjoy your trip.

DavidGraves

North Oregon coast

Stalking Light said:
Get some huckleberry pie at the Park Cafe by Glacier. :)
Don't think they are open anymore, just passed by today at noon and did not see it. On way out tomorrow will look. There is the Two Sisters restaurant to the east that was said to be good. Logan Pass at Galcier NP today has lots of snow and where it is not the glacier lilies are blooming. It is amazing how many people go off the boardwalk and mash down the flowers that are trying to grow!. Big horn Rams look rattie loosing their winter coats. The fire that went through the east side last year is very noticeable and the vegetation is growing nicely throughout.

We are sitting in the restaurant as I type and can't decide on the huckleberry, berry or chocolate cream pie, hum.... Decisions..... I was wrong on the closure or maybe new ownership.

We are headed out today... Our turn around point will be Glacier... CAN'T WAIT!!! 3 weeks on the road :) I hope to enjoy some Huckleberry Pie at your little cafe too.

There were only 2 pieces of huckleberry pie left and we split one. A few years ago the resturant changed management, that what I was thinking. They are not cheap but the food was good. We split a $14 burger and added fries instead of chips, 1 $4 huckleberry lemonade and split the $8 pie slice. $28 dollar lunch for one. But while on vacation one needs to relax, be served good food.

We are in the Pryor mountains looking to phogragh Wild mustangs horses. Towed the trailer up to the top and two people have already asked how I did it. Not a challenging road just slow and rocky. Cheers.

DavidGraves said:
Hi Bill

We did a volunteer stint on Lake Superior last summer and came home across I90.....one little surprise is that many very small towns through the upper Midwest still have "town campgrounds" up and running...often with water and often free for the asking.

These are often left over from the Tin Can Tourist days of the prewar era and I find them a good glimpse of the pre Interstate pre Disney World days of travel.

Just a thought and enjoy your trip.

DavidGraves

North Oregon coast
We noticed that last Fall on our way to upper Michigan, lots of small towns in North Dakota had campgrounds reasonable and empty. Only one town was noisy, after the friday night homecoming football game, a bunch of kids came to the park for night games and were loudly running all over the park. Guess no quiet time at this park, but the kids were respectful of the few campers.

Mike Dunn
Everett WA

Back
Top Bottom