Cameras and Photo related gear

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN
WTW is about the people, their rigs...and the pics that people take when they are out and about...

Some of the shots posted here blow me away...and while I see many list the "mods" they've made to their vehicles I don't see anyone (but I'm slow at times and could have missed it) posting about what kinda camera they are dragging around/etc.

I have an old Canon G2 that needs replacing (focus seems whack) and my wife has another P&S (or is that POS?) Canon that I use without much fervor/fanfare/involvement....so a *good* camera is something I'm in the market for. I bought my son a Nikon D40 with a 28-55 and a 55-200 lense package for Christmas and am thinking I may buy myself the same thing/something similar. However, I'm always up for suggestions and I can see that some folks here are *into* photography beyond the *point and shoot* format...so any recommendations would be welcomed/taken seriously.

What would you do if you had $600-1000 to spend on an SLR digi?

post up what ya got/use while out and about in yer rig...and any recommendations you may have. Please don't worry about *hijacking* this thread/etc...as it is more about what you have and use regularly than what I'm looking for in a camera. (I will glean the info I need from what you say...no problem)

Thanks!

mtn

Great question Mtn-high. I would like to get something within the same parameters you provided so am looking forward to the responses. On the Death Valley trip, Dirty Dog, Deltarat, and Pvstoy (Both Patrick and Carol) were using nice equipment. In our trip reports I can see what are essentially the same photos taken by myself and them, but the quality of theirs is so much better.

This might be a little beyond your budget parameters, but after years of using my trusty old Canon S30 (which was more than adequate for website photos), I finally bought an SLR camera: The Nikon D80 with a 18mm - 200mm zoom lens. I didn't want to have to swap lenses. If I had to do it again today, I'd look at the Nikon D90 instead -- to me, adding live preview and video is a huge improvement.

I also have a slim waterproof Olympus Stylus 720 SW which is only an OK camera, but the waterproof aspect is very useful when I leave the vehicle to hike, swim, etc.

My old Canon S30 is now mounted on my windshield and is setup to take a shot every 10 seconds -- so hopefully I can get an image of anything interesting that happens in front of the vehicle.

-- Geoff

And, I must admit that I run my photos through Photoshop before posting them -- to rotate & crop them, improve the lighting and contrast. They wouldn't be as impressive if I just uploaded them straight from my camera.

I'm just using a four year old Canon Rebel with a nice lens I recently bought. I plan on upgrading to a full-frame in the near future, but the Rebel is an excellent camera for most uses. If I were you I'd spend that budget on:

Canon Rebel Body or body / lens kit http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/542180-REG/Canon_2756B003_EOS_Rebel_XSi_a_k_a_.html

Possibly a second telephoto lens

Photoshop Elements

Geoff is right about the editing - I crop and sharpen most of mine before posting and it makes a big difference.

We use a Canon 5d and a canon Rebel xti. In your price range, the Rebel XTI can't be beat. Remember its better to put high price lens on a cheap camera rather than the other way round

I'm using a Canon 10D I got on ebay 5 years ago. they're now about a third of what I paid for mine. I had a Rebel film camera and wanted to use my lenses on the digi hence the 10Dl. I too depend on photo shop.

On the DV trip, I used a Nikon D-200 and Pam used my Nikon D-70S ( I guess I better get some of those pictures posted) ..Both are great cameras although neither are made any more. If I was to start with an easy to use/consumer based DSLR, I'd buy a Njkon D-90. I would NOT buy a D-90 kit with a couple lenses thrown in. Buy good lenses..as someone has already said, it's the glass on front of the camera that makes the pictures.

First off search this site: FredMiranda.com http://www.fredmiranda.com/
Many different reviews of many camera equipment. You will learn a lot.
I will do all my shopping at B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ and some from Beach Camera http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/home.aspx. Beware of places that offer cheaper prices by bait and switch tactics. You pay more in the long run and it is frustrating. Check the web for opinions for these companies.

Second is that I’ve have seen great pictures from cell phones and really bad pictures from a $10,000 camera setup. It goes to say that it is not the pots that make a great meal, it’s the person behind the pots.

Third is brand loyalty. Just like Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, etc… Cameras are the same way. Nikon, Canon and Pentax are the big ones with others up there to. There are many models out there.

We have each a Canon 5D. We have lots of lens and we can swap with each other. We always use a tripod when we can to get the sharpest image. We have a Casio Exilim little point and shoot camera that I take a lot of grab shots with. My Death Valley post has a mixture of the three different cameras. They each have a purpose.

I like shooting the 5D in the RAW file format and it gives use more leeway in the editing. It is a lot more work because now you become the digital dark room and have to process the image. Allowing the camera to run the internal software and spit out a JPEG with the parameters you set up is faster and better for most people. If all you want is e mail, web posting, and maybe prints up 8x10 then stick with JPEG format. But like I said I’ve seen larger prints with lesser quality cameras that look great because proper techniques.

All the other posting have good advice and comments, re read them. Review FredMiranda.com and ask more questions. John Shaw has a 2 day Photo Seminar in Denver at time to time and is a good one to sit in on. http://www.photosafaris.com/
I guess he is not going to Denver http://www.photosafaris.com/Tours_2009/JohnShawSeminars/JohnShawSeminars.asp.

You can get a lot of expensive equipment new or try the “Buy and Sell” on FredMiranda.com For $600 - $1000 you can get you a nice DSR setup to get you started. And then the next thing you know your up to your eyeballs in camera equipment and want more….

I know I did not tell you what to buy, but I hope talking will help you in your decision.

Haven't been around here in a LONG time, sorry guys! As for a camera, I picked up a Nikon D300 and I'm loving every little bit of it!

I've owned a myriad of cameras in my days. Started out on an Argus c3 35 mm in High School...copped off my dad who rarely used it. From there I bought a no frills Pentax K1000....a great beginner camera. I then went into a Canon phase...AE...AE-1...Ae-1 Program. I FOUND my first AE in Vail...left/forgotten by a tourist in Lionshead. (I put an ad in the paper w/no response) I had 2 or 3 of these bodies along the way because the camera I found had a nice Macro lens on it and I had a standard and a tele lens....so I bought 'em cheap and they locked up frequently....but I got good shots while they worked. LOL

Bought the G2 about 8-9 years ago when it was the "top of the line" P&S. It's been a great camera and it's FULL of features but it has it's limits.

I read a BUNCH before Xmas...and this guy's site tipped me towards the D40 over spending more/etc. for my son's camera. I would consider the D90, for sure...but this person's opinion is that anything in between the D40 and D90 is for those who simply have too much money to spend. He also seems to like the Nikon "kit" lens that comes with the D40.

but hey...you know how opinions are...LOL.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

Thanks for the links..i shall check em out.

mtn

Heya Wanderers...

Thanks for the responses one and all.

I joined a couple of photo forums a few weeks ago and waded deep into the archives...still waffling back and forth on what to do as everyone seems to have conflicting opinions/uses/issues with any/all photo gear...

In the end it came down to the basic fact that I decided that I fully deserve to get what I want. Thankfully the wife agreed and said..."just buy it"!

So yesterday I smashed the Piggy Bank and went shoppin'...

What I came home with is a Nikon D90 with a 18-105mm VR lens via Nikon's basic "kit" for the D90. I also snagged a few filters and a compact Tamrac bag. This camera should keep the learning curve in effect for awhile...for sure. Holy cow...there's so many bells and whistles on this thing you have to leave in the camper or it'll keep you awake at night. LOL.

FYI...the D40 has just been discontinued to make way for the new D5000. I ALMOST waited for this one...but logic said to pass on the first production line and the higher cost of the new "gotta have it" model. Word is this camie will be less than $600 and will offer many of the features of the D90...

I figured I'd rather have a camera NOW and get going...and if the D5000 is "da ca-ca" and is that reasonable....I might look at buying one later if I see a need arise/for certain uses...like backpacking.

Anyways...THANKS again for the ideas and input.

mtn

Attachments

• imagesnikon.jpg
    imagesnikon.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 194
Back
Top Bottom