Camp Cookin' - Whatcha makin'?

Riverrunner

I'll admit half the fun of camping is the cooking. There is something about grilling over an open fire or on the camp stove that makes everything taste better!

Last weekend we headed up into the casades for a little R&R after a long and mediocore salmon season. (Trip report in the works)

Saturdays dinner.... Harvest fresh bread (sundried tomato and cheese), Buffalo ribeye, and bushes baked beans.

p2082189176-4.jpg

Breakfast... Campfire toast, leftover ribeye, taters, eggs and cheese....in a camp sorta casserole.

p1958444940-4.jpg

p2006032340-4.jpg

People who think camping equals hot dogs and beans really have no clue how well we eat. I like that breakfast!

craig333 said:
People who think camping equals hot dogs and beans really have no clue how well we eat. I like that breakfast!
Absolutely! The prior morning we had blueberry pancakes for breakfast. I was so busy cooking I didn't have a change to get a photo. :(

Salmon over an open fire from an earlier trip...

p1668051193-4.jpg

Great food shots.
There isn't a reason to not eat good out camping.A lot of times we eat light quick things,NOT PREPARED, OR CANED.
Shar is a wonderful cook and it carries over into our time camping.Though we do tend to cook simple easy meals.It helps to cut down on clean up and leaves more time for fun.Although cooking is fun for us.
Keep cooking.
Frank

The few times I don't eat well are usually when I pull into camp late at night or when I want to hit the road very early. I will confess the last time out I cooked my spaghetti at home and just reheated it.

We used to cook by campfire but now we do our cooking on a partner stove and save the fires for after dark. But it is still fun. We are trying to expand our universe of camp recipes. For our last trip before we left we made up a batch of Minnesota wild rice (the real thing- not that "commercial California stuff, haha) mixed with brown rice. It is a very tasty and versatile ingredient. We made wild salmon croquettes one night and a rice, vegetable stir fry with chicken another night. Both were tasty. Of course anything made outdoors is tasty it seems. I'll post some pictures in my trip report when I ever get it done.

craig333 said:
The few times I don't eat well are usually when I pull into camp late at night or when I want to hit the road very early. I will confess the last time out I cooked my spaghetti at home and just reheated it.
That works,saves time.We pre make and freeze some meals and use them as we go.But we keep telling ourselves that there are stores and even farmers markets along the way,so no real need to take everything,just the basics.Things you can't get in some areas.
Bottom line if you like what you have fixed and it tastes good go for it.
Frank

I'm going to have to go camping with you guys. I hate cooking both at home and on the trail. If it wasn't for Trader Joe's I'd starve.

When it comes to group trips going overboard, XPMarc sets the mark. Whole pig! C'mon, who else does that?

We like to go big while camping also. Whenever we join others in camp, I always try to do at least one special meal or appetizers for the group. And we are camping almost every Thanksgiving and Christmas, so we always do a traditional meal. Sometimes it requires two stoves and a fire, but even with the extra work it is just plain worth it.

Ted said:
When it comes to group trips going overboard, XPMarc sets the mark. Whole pig! C'mon, who else does that?

We like to go big while camping also. Whenever we join others in camp, I always try to do at least one special meal or appetizers for the group. And we are camping almost every Thanksgiving and Christmas, so we always do a traditional meal. Sometimes it requires two stoves and a fire, but even with the extra work it is just plain worth it.
As Ted mentioned, from the October 2010 Pork Rally, Chef XPMarc in charge:

PigRoast.jpg

It's been a while...but I've done a full-on T-Day feast on the edge of the Black Rock desert, with CraggyMan. That was fun...I'd like to do similar again. :)

Back
Top Bottom