What is the best off road camping option

• Diesel Motorhome Tow Vehicle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ditch the Hummer, get a full size PU & camper

• Roof top tent on the Hummer

• Total voters
Which part of Falcon is too wide? seems like you have 48" between wheel wells and 54" gate. That's plenty to fit I think. They have picture of Falcon in Chev Colorado. Or am'I missing something?

One option was RV which is quite close to upgrading horses. I said similar ability not the same. it's hard to measure abiltity in percentages. Quoting manufacturer's manual:

While under axle clearance is somewhat(1/2") better on H3T. PW has it beat on running clearance by good margin. Although that figure just feel a bit too low. Prob measure so something like low hanging leaf mount.

Still although RTI is not specified for H3T (stock H3 is about 450) I'm sure it's quite a bit less for H3T then PW.
As always specs galore but according to http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/129_0903_2009_4x4_pickup_truck_of_the_year/viewall.html RTI is 417 and breakover is only 20 degrees. Which does indicate noticeably smaller running clearance.

Honestly 2.72 v 4.00 would only matter in really serious rock crawl situation. Do you have to do that regularly? IMHO having only really low option sometime can be detrimental as well. I previously owned Montero 1.9, Land Cruiser 2.488. Never had a problem with either. I think 4.0 was really needed by marketing to compete well with Rubicon rather than anything else.

Fording depth 30" v 24". Either can be improved with snorkel of course.

Notwithstanding above mostly likely H3T would be more pleasant driving around with light load/crawling over stuff. I would be concerned trying to haul heavy load like camper.

H3T has only 1090lb payload. Even with lightest camper + 2 people in the cab + supplies you'll be close/over Max GWVR of 6100lb. You might be able to level your truck using helper air bags or something but is it really built to handle this much load? Over rought terrain? Towing trailer over rough terrain like you said will restrict you far more than marginally smaller approach/departure angles on bigger truck.

Going back to keeping your horses. How about Roof Top Ten (RTT) on your current rig. Sleeping out of snakes but might have to visit them if nature calls.

The numbers you quoted are without the off road package and 33" wheels. My H3T has the off road package but I'd upgrades to 35" wheels. With 33" wheels the approach angle is 38.7 deg, departure 30.1 deg, breakover 21.1 deg (you got me there), and minimum ground clearance is 10.2". I don't know how they define running ground clearance. I also don't put any faith in RTI. I've never seen an RTI ramp on the trail. RTI is important to people without lockers because they have to keep the tires on the ground. With lockers you have traction even with a wheel or two in the air. Hummers lift wheels off the ground a lot but they still get through. The lowest point of the H3T is the shock mounts, so I replaced mine with low profile shock mounts which increased the ground clearance to 10.5" (to the differential) and going to 35" tires increased ground clearance to 11.2".

The 4:1 transfer case is very useful for crawling over rocks, climbing steep hills and also for descending long steep grades. You manually downshift the auto trans and it reduces heating in the brakes.

As I said before I just love my H3T. That is the main reason I'm not considering alternatives that involve replace it. Towing it behind an RV would be OK.

The weakness of the H3T is the load carrying capacity and putting a camper on, even a small lightweight camper is going to put it over the weight limit. I would probably upgrade the rear springs, but the weight is still a concern.

I thought about a roof top tent on the H3T, but my would still have to go down to ground (snake) level to use the porta potty.

Which part of Falcon is too wide? seems like you have 48" between wheel wells and 54" gate. That's plenty to fit I think. They have picture of Falcon in Chev Colorado. Or am'I missing something?

I attached a PDF of the Finch. The Falcom is the same width but shorter in length. My issue is the 51.5" width of the box that forms the base. My truck measures 50.5" inside the box. I don't understand why Hummer made the inside of the box narrower than the Colorado & Canyon.

Attachments

• FINCH-Exterior Dimensions.pdf
    67.1 KB · Views: 124
Oh I see.
As I understand running ground clearance is basically size of the log you can drive over with front wheels then rear. So nothing within wheelbase protrudes below (aka skid plates, cross members, muffler, t-case, etc). That also would dictate breakover angle

Oh I see.
As I understand running ground clearance is basically size of the log you can drive over with front wheels then rear. So nothing within wheelbase protrudes below (aka skid plates, cross members, muffler, t-case, etc). That also would dictate breakover angle

O, Hummer called that vertical scaling height and the H3T is rated at 16".

That's not the same thing. 16" is the height of step H3 can climb. Front wheels climb up the step and stay at that height in this exercise.
H3_step.JPG

Log Crossing
Using the proper technique, the vehicle will cross logs up to 10 inches (25.4 cm) in diameter. Approach the log at approximately a 15° angle (A) with the transmission in 1 (First) and the transfer case in Four-Wheel-Low Lock and “walk” the vehicle over, one tire at a time. It may be necessary to modulate the brake pedal and accelerator to avoid spin-out. Ease the vehicle down from the log with the brake.
Unfortunately PW manual doesn't specify diameter only pretty much same exact technique. Too bad H3T didn't get to face off with PW in Fourwheeler testing. That would have been interesting. Power Wagon v Raptor v absent H3T v Tundra, v Megacab 2010 Pickup truck of the year

Ram Rider,

Your killing me. I read the 4 Wheeler Report. Now I have to buy a Power Wagon :rolleyes: . Man thats a serious truck. Too bad about the MPG. That truck has it all!

If it was not for all the $$$$ Portager had in his unit ... I would say go Power Wagon.

Oh it was really killing me get a diesel or PW. As always can't have both. Diesel would have been more $$$$, trying to get it close to PW in off-road-ability would be another $5-6k at least. Still wouldn't be the same because of disconnect and sheer weight of diesel. Love everything about PW except big except the millage. Sold a Land Cruiser for change and really on my regular route I was getting about 12.5 mpg in LC and went down to 11.2 on PW without camper. Not so bad considering. By itself LC looks/feels like good size truck but side by side, too bad I didn't take a picture, it looked kinda small if not tiny.
Three time pickup truck of the year won me over
2012 Pickup truck of the year
2005 Pickup truck of the year

Dare I ask what kind of MPG you are getting wtih your camper?

Portager: same question what is your MPG with a full load?

Sorry if I missed it previously in the thread.

Too bad H3T didn't get to face off with PW in Fourwheeler testing. That would have been interesting. Power Wagon v Raptor v absent H3T v Tundra, v Megacab 2010 Pickup truck of the year

The H3T wasn't included in the 2010 Four Wheeler Pickup of the year because it wasn't new or redesigned for 2010. However, it did win Four Wheelers 2009 Pickup of the Year. http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/129_0903_2009_4x4_pickup_truck_of_the_year/viewall.html

The H3T has a lot less payload capacity and a little lower break over angle, but it has better ground clearance, larger approach and departure angles and a lower crawl ratio. But even more importantly, it is small enough to fit down narrow trails, which is critical in the area I wheel. Most of the trails are maintained by Jeep clubs and they only make them wide enough for a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Dare I ask what kind of MPG you are getting wtih your camper?

Portager: same question what is your MPG with a full load?

Sorry if I missed it previously in the thread.

The mileage I quoted before, i.e. 15 mpg at 55 mph and 14 mpg at 65 mph, and 13 mpg at 84 mph, is fully loaded. All the highway mileage numbers were on trips with close to full load.

I picked up my camper at Four Wheel Campers in Woodland. Averaged about 12.5 staying under 65 and about 12 going a bit over 70. it's 65 speed limit in OR

Darn! There it was! Ram Rider disregard!

Portager: I see your conundrum. Great Article.

Seems like you have the H3T set-up the way that works best for your needs. Any change to the truck will be in the wrong direction for your primary uses. I would look at a full size 4WD diesel pick-up with a camper as the tow rig. Granted I'm not towing anything, but we just recorded 16.4 over two separate ~300 mile sections of our just finished trip (as in got home last night). I set the cruise to operate the engine @ 1700 rpm which translates to about 67 mph. This with a 300k miles 12 valve 4wd CTD unlifted on 315's carrying a 6.5' Phoenix in the bed.

Running the engine faster was far more detrimental to mpg than was the headwind during the second 300 mile leg. So long as the tow'd rolls easy I wouldn't expect it to have a huge impact on mpg.

The H3T has a lot less payload capacity and a little lower break over angle, but it has better ground clearance, larger approach and departure angles and a lower crawl ratio. But even more importantly, it is small enough to fit down narrow trails, which is critical in the area I wheel. Most of the trails are maintained by Jeep clubs and they only make them wide enough for a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I'd still put my money on Power Wagon except when trail get's too narrow. Though H3T is not far behind size wise.
I feel like a web-wheeler now. Lest test it out for real:
I'm taking my PW there this time.
Nevada Trophy 2012
That's my now gone LC on the left. Lead a team last year.
nvtr121.jpg

Here is vid from 09 first year I've done it.
There might be some real Hummers too. That's my Monty on the left for scale.
DSCF7290.JPG

http://youtu.be/BJnpHH5gbFM
This event is total blast. You don't what to have a camper on the back though.
DSC00623.JPG

Will see how Power Wagon likes it.
Who knows, you migth find something interesting in the desert
DSCF7323.JPG

Seems like you have the H3T set-up the way that works best for your needs. Any change to the truck will be in the wrong direction for your primary uses. I would look at a full size 4WD diesel pick-up with a camper as the tow rig.

ntsqd; I think you're right on track. Any camper I could get would put my H3T at or over the weight limit and because I have a short bed, it would be very cramped inside. You're also right about the diesel tow vehicle. However, I think my wife has something larger than a camper on a full sides pickup in mind. She is interested in a diesel pusher motor home that we could live in part of the year after retirement.

I'd still put my money on Power Wagon except when trail get's too narrow. Though H3T is not far behind size wise.
I feel like a web-wheeler now. Lest test it out for real:
I'm taking my PW there this time.
That's my now gone LC on the left. Lead a team last year.
Here is vid from 09 first year I've done it.
There might be some real Hummers too. That's my Monty on the left for scale.
This event is total blast. You don't what to have a camper on the back though.
Will see how Power Wagon likes it.
Who knows, you migth find something interesting in the desert

RamRider; That looks like an interesting contest, but that terrain wouldn't prove anything. We need a more challenging course, like the Gold Mountain trail. Here is a trip report thread from when I did this trail back when I was running 33" BGF KM2's. Gold mountain, Big bear, Ca Sept 17,2011

and here is a video of me from my GoPro HD Hero camera:
[media]
I'd like to see the PW do that.

Here is another trip report from a little trail called 2N17X. SoCal Event - 2N17X - March 10, 2012 - Photos and Recap

Sudman hill would be a good challenge for the PW.

By the way, you keep talking about the PW winning FW truck of the year in 2010. Is your PW a 2010?

Gold Mt looks fun. Currently I'm trying to locate optional factory rock sliders mine came without. After that I'm game. I wouldn't drive that far south just for that. Although I've been thinking Death Valley this fall maybe.
Again if H2 fits (main concern for PW, H2 is actually couple inches wider) on the particular trail I don't see problem trying. BTW H2's don't have 4:00 t-case seem to do just fine.

On subject of angles you must to have lost some with that DOI winch mount. It does tuck in nicely though. Departure angle on PW is given under receiver hitch
PowerWagon.JPG

Under bumper it's upward of 30 degrees. Dragging hitch is usually not a big problem.

As you can tell from signature mine is 2008. Which is pretty much identical to any of 2005-2009 PWs. PW was pickup truck of the year in 2005. 2010 is newer model with different sheet metal. It has longer 149" wheel base with roomier cab as opposed to 140" earlier 05-09 models had. Later would rather be detrimental to off-road ability. Same axles, lockers fr & aft, 12k winch, and front stabilizer disconnect. Only minor advantage it might have is in the engine department with 383 hp and 400 lbf v 345 & 375.

Again I'm not bashing Hummers I'm not claiming PW would run circles around Hummers off-road. I said it has similar ability. IMHO. Either one is extremely capable. Yet there is one capacity that PW has particular advantage is big bed and reasonably large payload so one can put decent size camper into it and happily drive around go wheeling etc.

Love finding apple to apple comparisons. Power Wagon and H3T climbing the famous Escalator in Moab. On of the worst passable obstacles for stock rigs anyway.
Power Wagon climb
H3T Alpha climb
Both did it. Both are pretty much stock as I understand but you might know more details about Alpha. Both were close to their limits. I'd say lower t-case gearing made it a little easier for H3T to better place tires. None the less both made it unscathed. I'd loose the camper to climb that though.

Gold Mt looks fun. Currently I'm trying to locate optional factory rock sliders mine came without. After that I'm game. I wouldn't drive that far south just for that. Although I've been thinking Death Valley this fall maybe.
Again if H2 fits (main concern for PW, H2 is actually couple inches wider) on the particular trail I don't see problem trying. BTW H2's don't have 4:00 t-case seem to do just fine.

On subject of angles you must to have lost some with that DOI winch mount. It does tuck in nicely though. Departure angle on PW is given under receiver hitch
Under bumper it's upward of 30 degrees. Dragging hitch is usually not a big problem.

As you can tell from signature mine is 2008. Which is pretty much identical to any of 2005-2009 PWs. PW was pickup truck of the year in 2005. 2010 is newer model with different sheet metal. It has longer 149" wheel base with roomier cab as opposed to 140" earlier 05-09 models had. Later would rather be detrimental to off-road ability. Same axles, lockers fr & aft, 12k winch, and front stabilizer disconnect. Only minor advantage it might have is in the engine department with 383 hp and 400 lbf v 345 & 375.

Again I'm not bashing Hummers I'm not claiming PW would run circles around Hummers off-road. I said it has similar ability. IMHO. Either one is extremely capable. Yet there is one capacity that PW has particular advantage is big bed and reasonably large payload so one can put decent size camper into it and happily drive around go wheeling etc.

The SoCal chapter of the hummer4X4offroad (H4O) does a trip in Bishop CA every year. That would be closer for you. It is usually two days Saturday and Sunday, moderate trails and great scenery. There are also some H4O members in Washington maybe even one in Oregon. You could do some trails with them. Every H2 owner I know wishes they had a lower crawl ratio. The 4:1 transfer case is one of the things that allows the H3 and H3T come close to keeping up with the H2.

The DOI front bumper maintain the stock approach angle. The winch is tucked between the frame rails. I have aftermarket rock rails and they do their job very well. I wouldn’t skemp on the rock rails.

With the PW my main concern would be the ground clearance. The larger differential is good for torque but bad for clearance. I agree the departure angle isn't that big of a deal if only the receiver drags. The receiver is also the limit on the H3T, along with the license plate. But if you go to 35" tires, they are about 1” wider so the under bed spare becomes the limiting factor. That is why my spare and license plate are on the back bumper.

I would admit that if I were buying a pickup today with the intent of carrying a camper, I'd probably pick a PW or a Raptor, not the H3T. At the time I picked my truck I didn't plan to get a camper and I wanted to keep it small so I could get into tight places. The H3T is great for how I am currently using.

Love finding apple to apple comparisons. Power Wagon and H3T climbing the famous Escalator in Moab. On of the worst passable obstacles for stock rigs anyway.
Power Wagon climb
H3T Alpha climb
Both did it. Both are pretty much stock as I understand but you might know more details about Alpha. Both were close to their limits. I'd say lower t-case gearing made it a little easier for H3T to better place tires. None the less both made it unscathed. I'd loose the camper to climb that though.

I'm impressed the PW was able to do the escalator, although I think the H3T did it a little easier, but not by much. Also the quality of the spotter makes more difference than the ability of truck. Maybe they are closer than I thought. The H3T in the video was a member of our club. I think he is running 35” tires. The spotter was Neo, also a member H4O. Speedy was the other guy in the picture and skippy was behind the camera. The H3T Alpha is just like mine except without the SlantBack topper. If I go to Moab in this fall, I may leave my topper home to reduce weight. The Alpha badge means that it has a 300 HP 5.3 liter V8. As you can see from the comparison the 4:1 transfer case allowed the Hummer to crawl up the escalator without racing the engine and slipping the torque converter. This avoids overheating on long steep trails. Here is a trip report from the last H4O Moab trip http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?2323-Moab-Black-Sheep-Week-April-8-14-2012-Pictures-and-Videos&highlight=Moab I haven’t done Moab yet. Our club does Moab twice a year, so I hope to make it this fall. You should join us. We welcome none Hummers. There are usually a couple Jeeps and this year there will be a Raptor.

Oh definitely for slow work like that lower that better. Much better control.
If somebody made dual range t-case like 2:1 and 4:1 would be fantastic but we can't expect that much I'm sure. Moab is awesome. Done few trails in my Montero. There was group of H2s there right at the same time. They shot great video of their trip. There is annual PW meet up in Moab too. It's actually going on right know. That's what particular PW video is from. I'd love to go there again. So many places to visit. Building a house, raising 3 boys puts lots of constraints on time-off.

I thought you wanted info on which type of camper, trailer or motorhome would fit your needs. Sounds like the Dodge lover has insisted on which vehicle can out do the other. (my truck is better than yours)
Have you decided on the type of camping unit best fits your style?

snipped....
Oh definitely for slow work like that lower that better. Much better control.
If somebody made dual range t-case like 2:1 and 4:1 would be fantastic but we can't expect that much I'm sure.

You would want the "Goliath" model.
http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/extreme_underdrive_brochure.htm

Back
Top Bottom