Camper Battery Charging Problem

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
I discovered that my battery was not being charged by the truck on our last couple of trips. Last weekend we left with 12.73 volts (charged with house current prior) and came back with 12.53 volts. I have the new isolator that ATC is using. With the truck running the isolator was blinking on and off, not the continuous green light that means charging. A check of the battery voltage showed no charging current reaching the battery.

I checked all the usual suspects, truck battery, alternator, fuse, and power line connections. All looked good. Thinking a possible problem with the isolator, I talked with Jeff at ATC on the phone. He concurred that I was looking in the right places, told me they had heard of no problems with the isolator, but offered to send a new one to me. These guys are great, knowledgeable, and eager to help a customer.

After getting off the phone I thought of one place I hadn't checked, the marinco plug and receptacle used by many to hook the camper to the truck. I found the problem in the connections in the truck wiring to the receptacle mounted in the truck bed. The positive side was badly corroded, green and ugly like old fashion dirty battery terminals. The slot in the screw was gone. I had to cut the wire. It was also packed full of dirt on the inside. I replaced it with a new one today and everything checks out today -working properly.

I will return the new isolator that I don't need to ATC tomorrow when it comes in the mail. Thanks guys!

This receptacle is far from weather proof on the connection end under the truck bed. We live in snow country and I also religiously spray off under the truck when possible. When I installed this receptacle I figured it would possibly be a weak link.

So I suggest those of us running this connector to keep an eye on it, check it out, find a way to seal it to weatherproof, or look for a better replacement.

Hey Ski,

Another thing that helps is to coat the metal blades in the connector with dielectric grease. This will help prevent corrosion. You can also put this on the gasket which will maintain the gasket and help to keep the plug sealed.

Cort

I discovered that my battery was not being charged by the truck on our last couple of trips. Last weekend we left with 12.73 volts (charged with house current prior) and came back with 12.53 volts. I have the new isolator that ATC is using. With the truck running the isolator was blinking on and off, not the continuous green light that means charging. A check of the battery voltage showed no charging current reaching the battery.

I checked all the usual suspects, truck battery, alternator, fuse, and power line connections. All looked good. Thinking a possible problem with the isolator, I talked with Jeff at ATC on the phone. He concurred that I was looking in the right places, told me they had heard of no problems with the isolator, but offered to send a new one to me. These guys are great, knowledgeable, and eager to help a customer.

After getting off the phone I thought of one place I hadn't checked, the marinco plug and receptacle used by many to hook the camper to the truck. I found the problem in the connections in the truck wiring to the receptacle mounted in the truck bed. The positive side was badly corroded, green and ugly like old fashion dirty battery terminals. The slot in the screw was gone. I had to cut the wire. It was also packed full of dirt on the inside. I replaced it with a new one today and everything checks out today -working properly.

I will return the new isolator that I don't need to ATC tomorrow when it comes in the mail. Thanks guys!

This receptacle is far from weather proof on the connection end under the truck bed. We live in snow country and I also religiously spray off under the truck when possible. When I installed this receptacle I figured it would possibly be a weak link.

So I suggest those of us running this connector to keep an eye on it, check it out, find a way to seal it to weatherproof, or look for a better replacement.

Hey Ski,

Another thing that helps is to coat the metal blades in the connector with dielectric grease. This will help prevent corrosion. You can also put this on the gasket which will maintain the gasket and help to keep the plug sealed.

Cort

I used the gasket and filled it with silicone, and silicones around where it contacted the truck bed. And used dielectric grease. My original connection was fried in a matter of months on salty winter roads. The new sealed / siliconed one is still in perfect shape.

We found the same thing here at FWC.

The Marinco plug had some quality issuse over the years with the wire attachment set screws stripping out, and also the wiring was exposed that would allow for the possibility for corrosion.

Maybe about 1 1/2 years ago we switched over to a sealed marine pulg made by Attwood.

It is a MUCH better product and only a little bit more in price.

The wires are a thick gage and are molded into the plug, so the actual plug connections are less prone to corrossion.

These plugs are easily available on-line.

Attachments

• Attwood Camper Plug.jpg
    Attwood Camper Plug.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 146
  • Attwood Camper Plug 2.jpg
    Attwood Camper Plug 2.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 159
  • atwood.JPG
    atwood.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 151
  • Attwood troling motor plug.jpg
    Attwood troling motor plug.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 158
I also have the same problem and now working on the fix.

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/electrical-female-connector

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Attwood-Trolling-Motor-Connectors-Kit/16350985

Per another post from Stan...
Atwood Camper to Truck Plug Wiring:

"BLACK Atwood Marine Plug Wire hooks up to the BLACK FWC camper wire"

"YELLOW Atwood Marine Plug Wire hooks up to the WHITE FWC camper wire"

I'll use the Attwood blue wire to run the ATC brown wire for the running lights.

Thanks ski3pin and Stan!

Mike

P.S. I am also replacing my Sure Power 1314 (serial # not part of the recall) with the one ATC now uses. I just do not like the heat from the 1314, the size, and not covered.

Ski,in rereading this whole thread I came to yours. Does your camper stay on the truck full time? I don't know what plug Marty,Jeff used on my camper but haven't had any problems.I don't take the camper off nor do I live in snow country. I have the "new" isolator and it works great,charging both house and truck batteries when needed via solar.
My question is will it corrode over time while still plugged in?
Thanks Frank

Back
Top Bottom