Camper Battery Selection

So, had my battery checked at Checker and it's gone bad. In the market for a new battery. Seems like everyone keeps suggesting brand name batteries. I'm wondering if anything is wrong with a lesser known battery, like this one? This PowerSonic is 100AH for $267 which is just a bit more than a Blue Top at $232, but has an extra 25AH. Any thoughts?

So, had my battery checked at Checker and it's gone bad. In the market for a new battery. Seems like everyone keeps suggesting brand name batteries. I'm wondering if anything is wrong with a lesser known battery, like this one? This PowerSonic is 100AH for $267 which is just a bit more than a Blue Top at $232, but has an extra 25AH. Any thoughts?

I went with a Sears Platinum. The reason being when my batteries usually croak....I'm in some other state....and there are lots of Sears stores to get the battery warrantied.

This might not be the case with a lesser known battery.....even though the lesser known battery may actually be superior to a well known brand...it is a small comfort if you can't find a warranty station when things go bad.

I'm running two PS-62000's no complaints.

Interesting. Compare these two:

DieHard Platium PM-1-31M: 100AH, 75#, 205min RC, 13x6.75x9.5 group 31 $269
PS 100AH: 100AH, 68#, 195min RC, 12x6.5x9 group 27 $261

The PS is smaller and weighs less. How do they do that and what's it mean?

And the biggest Blue Top is $232 and only 75AH.

I'm running two PS-62000's no complaints.

Where did you get them? Online?

And the biggest Blue Top is $232 and only 75AH.

Yikes those seem too high for my tastes. I just bought 2 6v 208 AH batteries at Sam's Club for $68 each.

Plate size/weight most likely. Might infer the platinum is slightly more robust, or it might not be as efficient in materials usage/selection, could go either way.

Where did you get them? Online?

Local battery shop doing a closeout on that model, highly discounted.

Yikes those seem too high for my tastes. I just bought 2 6v 208 AH batteries at Sam's Club for $68 each.

Those would be flooded cells which aren't an apples to apples consideration to AGM batteries. While obviously cheaper then do have to be vented so flammable gas doesn't build up in the camper (if in the camper), fluid maintained, and they can leak if on there sides, etc. On the flipside they cost far less and if properly maintained can be topped off if you have a poor charging system and over charge/boil them out some.

That said I got mine on close out for $75ea. ;)

Those would be flooded cells which aren't an apples to apples consideration to AGM batteries. While obviously cheaper then do have to be vented so flammable gas doesn't build up in the camper (if in the camper), fluid maintained, and they can leak if on there sides, etc. On the flipside they cost far less and if properly maintained can be topped off if you have a poor charging system and over charge/boil them out some.

That said I got mine on close out for $75ea. ;)

Good point. I am using these on my little toy hauler and they sit out on the tongue so venting is not an issue and if they are
on their sides we are in trouble :( I can handled putting some distilled water in every so often although I am out of the habit of doing that!

I'm also wondering if the different style leads makes any difference? Some look like the posts on my Interstate battery, some look different. Anything I should know about leads? Here are some examples

http://www.batterystuff.com/largerimage.html?id=518

http://www.batterystuff.com/largerimage.html?id=707

I mean, how do you connect the ringed wire ends to this

Plate size/weight most likely. Might infer the platinum is slightly more robust, or it might not be as efficient in materials usage/selection, could go either way.

Local battery shop doing a closeout on that model, highly discounted.

That said I got mine on close out for $75ea.
wink.gif

how do you deal with the corrosive gas?

Pretty easy to vent to the outside.

it collects on any surface near a battery....and eats away at anything it contacts.
all of us have seen the diff between a new battery compartment and one thats a year old.
i dont think having that on the inside of a camper is going to work long term.

its kind of like a corrosiion near a urinal. even ceramic tile is etched.

Yuck, that's the main reason I went with an AGM battery for inside the camper.

it collects on any surface near a battery....and eats away at anything it contacts.
all of us have seen the diff between a new battery compartment and one thats a year old.
i dont think having that on the inside of a camper is going to work long term.

My wet ones are outside on the toy hauler. Vents and put the batteries in battery boxes??

how do you deal with the corrosive gas?

I'm running AGMs, did you mean to quote someone else?

I had been referring to wet 6v.

Right but he had quoted me, I was just clarifying in case there was confusion since I got my AGMs for a wet cell price.

Just FYI, I called my local Interstate battery dealer and they have a 100AH 12V SLA battery (model: SLA1185) for $249. It is a group 27 and weights 63#, so I will probably go that route since it weighs less than the DieHard and PowerSonic plus it's cheaper.

Just installed Sears Platinum group 31/ PM-1 Die Hard battery in my 08 Hawk.
Thanks to LeadSled, I knew in advance to unbolt the aluminum L-metal and some minor cabinetry before attempting to drop the 13" long battery in the stock battery box. Fits like a glove. Forewarned, I brought screw gun with #2 sq. drive, #2 phillips and a set of sockets to complete the install in the Sears parking lot.

We enjoyed all 100 amps of juice watching our monitor stay in the green zone, even running the furnace and leaving the porch light on. I'll be adding the 'intelligent charger' soon to give better trickle charging to this 78# massive battery. :D

Better prepared than i was. I started in the parking lot but quickly realized I needed to head home for more tools. Really enjoying mine so far.

Back
Top Bottom