Camper Condensation

Canuck

My wife and I do a lot of camping we very much enjoy the north country here in Ontario,Canada. Up until last year when we picked up our new Hawk we where always in a tent. It took 25 years to convince her that something with 4 walls and a roof would be a good idea rather than a tent. She is the one thats ready for the next trip usually before we get pulled back into the driveway at home. Anyway what I was wondering is when its cold out as it was last weekend what is the best way to keep the condensation level to a minimum, when we wake up in the morning the fabric sides are just dripping wet. We especially dislike lowering the top when it is still wet. So are you better off with the windows open or windows closed, heat on or heat off. Looking forward to hearing what ideas or solutions any of you may have come up with over the years. Thanks Canuck

Canuck - I'm pretty new at this and have only used our new, used Phoenix pop up once last weekend. Anyhow, we left the ceiling vent open. Actually, I broke it thinking I was cranking it closed when I was in fact forcing it open. The 10 yr old UV brutalized plastic cracked. Just replaced it and caulked the hell out of it. Good to go with more controlled venting.

So for us last weekend at 8600 ft elevation and a low around 20F I think the combination of a LOT of (unintentional) ventilation along with the foam that is sandwiched between the outer and inner fabric of our pop up meant zero condensation. We're headed to Cedar Mesa, UT this weekend, so we'll see if my theory holds true. In FWC world I'd guess the arctic pack option and ventilation would do the trick, but I'll defer to more experienced folks.

We're headed to Cedar Mesa, UT this weekend,

s that on the Notam/Bullfrog Road? I'm heading there next week, leaving Sunday through AZ and the North Rim before looping up through Bryce and into Capital Reef. Let us know how it goes.

We get serious condensation in our fleet fwc. We do not have the heat on while sleeping and leave at least one window open. we towel the inside as soon as the coffee pot starts in the morning.
temp last weekend -15 at night..

robbie

s that on the Notam/Bullfrog Road? I'm heading there next week, leaving Sunday through AZ and the North Rim before looping up through Bryce and into Capital Reef. Let us know how it goes.

Nope, the Cedar Mesa we're headed to is between Natural Bridges Ntl Monument and the Moki Dugway... our home-away-from-home every spring and fall.

Nope, the Cedar Mesa we're headed to is between Natural Bridges Ntl Monument and the Moki Dugway... our home-away-from-home every spring and fall.

Let's see, I don't want to hijack the thread :D I hate to think about my nice warm propane heated air escape the camper so I guess it's that or more condensation. I suspect the laws of physics dictate that give X temperatures and Y humidity (2 people and 3 dogs) there will be X amount of condensation. Mine collects on the ceiling and I just wipe it down with a towel.

Now the hijack. Love that area, White Canyon, etc. I thought Moki was pretty cool but then I found the switchbacks on Burr Trail!
Moki
272073719_HmRBL-M.jpg

Burr
272088888_iqVmN-M.jpg

I have had the same problem at times. I usually get rain drops in my ear or face when I start the coffee and lay back down until it's done. the frozen drops (if it got down to freezing)of condensation from the night start to thaw and well as I said.I just wipe it down for the day and when I get back home I leave it open for day or two or more. I think it's very important to let it dry out completly and even behind the end boards etc.all part of the good times.

Canuck:

This condensation is a common problem and most find some ways around it. Coldest I have yet to camp is in the mid teens. Down bags make it nice, but condensation is a problom. Some venting, via roof and open turnbuckle access points helps. The more people the worse it is. I do what most do and towel if off as soon as it warms up. I turn up the heater as I get ready to depart and let it crank for a few minutes after I have wiped it off. Keeps the moisture level down somewhat. I don't have a furnace, just a portable heater. That with the vent fan going for a few minutes will often get most of the wiped surfaces dry. Then I can drop the top. Still, back at home a nice venting and some heat is almost always necessary.

Good luck and welcome!

Dave in Seattle

I don't have a condensation problem. I leave the top vent open and run the heater. But its just me and the dog. Plus I don't think I've really been in anything other than the 20's yet.

Condensation hasn't been a huge problem for us here. Thankfully we have little humidity (one reason we live here) here to deal with.

I bought a Fantastivc Fan 6600 for the rear vent. You can dial it down to 10% of full power.

I do this, and run the heater...keeping it about 55 in the camper and I've had very little condensation since.

mtn

Last year we took our first trip in our new (used) Hawk. We were above 9000 using the heater. We packed up the next morning and drove home. The following week I popped it up to clean and noticed about a 8 inch diameter section of the front lower sheer wall panel was discolored. As soon as I touched it the wood grain lamination flaked off. We were sure we had a leak and proceed to spend hours trying to track it down. Long story short, we have since realized that that area is, for some reason, the place where the most condensation collects and that it was condensation that caused the problem not a leak. We learned a hard lesson about condensation ...that I see every time I open the camper door...and now make sure to towel all the walls (especially behind the panels) before lowering the top if we are at altitude or in humid weather.

Campers trailers, the all have this problem. The only answer is a wood stove. No moisture produced like propane.
Now to design one. I did see one in a custom camper, small little thing he built. Worked great. And no moisture.

Same as all above...............

Adding:

Wipe under the bed mattres on the thin one in the Eagle and Rangers.

I also if I was at a spot during the day and the weather was good I would pop up and open all the windows, Lock up and go away and do our thing.

Cooking, breathing inside all add to the moisture. Air can only hold so much until it cools off, then it has to cling to some surface. Get the moisture out while cooking with the roof fan. Open a turn buckle port to allow air to pull through. This also works with the furnance on.

Thanks for the all the replies. Never thought of leaving one of the turnbuckle ports open for added circulation, actually I think I might try that as well as leaving the roof vent open a crack next time. We dryed the sides down as well but our main concern was the part behind the front and back boards. I've seen a enough pictures on this forum to know that moisture there is definately not a good thing. I gather the most important thing is to open and let dry as soon as you can. Your right Robojeeper all part of the good times, Thanks Canuck

Back
Top Bottom