camper cover - any interest?

boatbuilder

As a boat builder I have boat covers built for my boats. I was walking by my FWC Eagle today looking at the "silver silk cover" (silver tarp) and thought, "why wouldn't I make covers out of the same material? The way it lays out with the fabric sizing the cover would have two lengthwise seams running full length and the sides would go down about 28" down the sides. I would put grommet in every 2' or so and corners. Looks like about 15 yards of fabric alone with sew time and grommet installation. My guess would be around $300 a piece for the Eagle. Other models wouldn't be all that much more as the sew time would be a little more as well as little more material. So, what's the interest level?

Jim

An affordable cover for my Grandby would be welcome.

Might want to pinch the length and width together at each corner and set a grommet through the triangular seam allowance. This will form a "shoe box" shape without any seams along the top of the tarp.

For a finished tarp size of 8' x 12' with 28" of drop:
Cut fabric to 156" x 204"
Mark 30" in from each corner. This will be (8) marks.
Fold under each edge 2".
Pinch each corner together at the 30" marks.
Cut/punch grommet hole back from the 30" mark by the diameter of the grommet or about 1". So grommet would be set at about 29" from the corner.

Example Cut Size:
096" (width) + (2 x 28" drop) + (2 x 2" hem) = 156" Cut Width.
144" (length) + (2 x 28" drop) + (2 x 2" hem) = 204" Cut Length.

Example Finished Size:
96" width x 144" length x 28" drop = Finished Size

Using a pre made tarp, it would be possible to use the factory grommets along two sides, but will take more figuring.

MDM54,

Not sure of you know how fabric comes or not. It comes on bolts and they are anywhere from 60-65" depending on a lot of things. With that in mind you either end up with 2 seams going North/South or 3 going East/West. After building boat covers for over 20 years it's all about best use of fabric with the least amount of waste. So, in a perfect world with unlimited fabric width possibilities your idea would work. The shape will still be am upside down shoebox, it's just going to have seams. I would still put a paint can or something on the top of the camper before the cover goes on to help the water off the top of the camper.

Jim - I would be interested in one for my Fleet so long as it is custom fit for that model and is somewhat affordable. Thanks for your post.

Jim your product sounds great.
Right now I have a tarp doubled and added grommets.
My main use for a cover is to keep the sap and debris from the tree the
rig sits under.

Have you thought about adding some sore of "clear" spot over where the solar
goes so the batteries will stay up during the non-use time?
I have a hole cut into mine so the solar keeps both the house and truck battery up.

Frank

Steelhead, that's why I halfway tried to figure a cost at around $300 for the Eagle. Looking at dimensions of the Fleet it would be cut and sewn a little differently but the only real difference would be the overhang which would be 5-6" shorter on the sides. So, the question is, "what would the price point be to send most people away? "Custom" is always a tough word to work with. I would make them all about the same and try to build as few different sizes to reduce the inventory and patterns. Like the fleet and the Eagle are just different enough in width that they would have to be different.

Frank, Like always the answer is simple, "you can do anything you want, it'll just cost more. Not entirely familiar with solar, would it be better to have a clear or a black panel. Does solar work on the heat of the sun or the rays of the sun? In your case I can see the cover being absolutely perfect. The only problem not being one piece (which is not possible due to fabric width limitations) is every time you send the needle through the fabric you have created a point of intrusion for water. So, your "window" would be another couple lines of sewing.

JIm

Jim solar works on the UV rays.
Actually that fabric you use,which I see on other covers may let
enough through to get a minimal amount of UV on the panel.
You would have to use a clear plastic of some sort.
That would change the cost I am sure.
But it is helpful IMO to have the solar panels doing their work while the camper is sitting idle.
Thanks.
Your idea/service is a good one.
Frank

Boatbuilder,

Thought you were starting with a pre-made inexpensive and cheap blue or black/silver tarp and were going to fabricate from there.

For a do it yourself, seamless, one piece, heavy duty, high quality, durable camper cover I would use 120" wide 17ounce vinyl coated polyester and fabricate as described earlier. This type and weight fabric is used for tractor trailer tarps.
Available from Bondcote put up on 60 yard rolls.
I usually keep a couple of rolls of white in stock and could sell cut yardage if anyone is interested.

I've worked with the seamstress for years. There is a marine grade vinyl that we could use for the "window(s)". Like I said, it would compromise the water resistance of the fabric on top with all the additional needle pokes but, in your case that doesn't seem to be an issue. I'm heading out in the next few days to look at fabric although I have one in mind. The fabric I'm looking at I doubt would let enough through.

Jim

Jim - sorry for not following up to your questions yesterday. 'Affordable' is clearly a relative term for each of us but for the product you are describing, somewhere around $350 would seem reasonable. Like Frank though, I would also be interested in having the clear plastic window for the solar panel which I am sure would change the cost. Just noticed your last post so will follow up via PM. Thanks

28' down the sides is not near long enough. Needs to be more like 48" to get good coverage. I would love a cover that fit my truck AND the camper. I have contacted FWC and ATC in the past thinking they would have a source. Both said they have never had a request.

cwd

cwdtmmrs said:
28' down the sides is not near long enough. Needs to be more like 48" to get good coverage. I would love a cover that fit my truck AND the camper. I have contacted FWC and ATC in the past thinking they would have a source. Both said they have never had a request.

cwd
Calmark makes custom covers for camper & truck as well as camper alone, but they aren't cheap.

http://www.calmarkcovers.com/camper-shell-covers/

Back
Top Bottom