Camper curious (ATC, FWC)

Hello all, I have come to a simpler point in my life where I want a poptop, I bought a pretty nice 96 dodge ram 1500, short box extra cab, I have been thinking of getting an FWC shell model due to the weight savings and we never use kitchen sink in our current van but maybe i'm over thinking this, would a palomino do ok back there weight wise? I pull an atv trailer and sometimes a car trailer.

I am trying to replace my westfalia and its proving difficult.

Attachments

• van hill top.jpg
    van hill top.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 186
The FWC Raven is perfect for your truck. The down side is you will have a hard time if you want a used one

Purple,

For simplicity and low weight I went with a shell model, we do all our cooking outside. If you are going to be towing heavy loads a low profile and low weight can only help. With my 6 cylinder 4x4 Frontier I tow an old enclosed wellscargo snowmobile trailer that is built like a brick sh**house. No problem towing but you can almost see the gas gauge drop on long grades. Nice Westy by the way.

Girlfriend and I have the Hawk shell on 2003 1/2 dodge quad cab short bed. The hawk sticks out the back less than 6". We couldn't be happier with our purchase, well it wasn't inexpensive.

I have a friend that has an 8' Palomino Bronco on a 2006 Chevy 1500 2 X 4 extended cab, 6.5' bed and also pulls a small fishing boat or a single ATV trailer. He claims it does fine. He doesn't go off road and he upgraded to E rated tires.

Don't know if you can pull a car trailer with a hitch extender. You are going to have to do the math.

jim

Purple,
You won't be sad if you buy an All Terrain Camper shell.
Plus you'll save some $$$.
And, if you have any custom requests All Terrain Campers will work with you.

After having the pleasure of doing business with ATC over the last few weeks I would say buy one of theirs. There customer service is above and beyond. I mean Marty and the rest of the crew made me feel like I was part of the family. I haven't had a company treat me this well in years!!!

I really wish ATC had a gray or silver option, at least for the outside.

Back
Top Bottom