Camper Install By Laser

dasadab

Advanced Member
Saw the Crain thread. Saw the below: The laser concept using a fan, not dot, laser pattern seemed really cool. Very simple concept.

Laser To Load Truck Camper - 2014 Top Mod Contest Winner

Here is a link to the laser used:

http://shop.z-bolt.com/12-mm-Green-...5268_a_7c1640_a_7c6350_a_7cDPSS_d_5L_d_Single

I came across another laser supplier:

Green Line Laser Modules

Scrolling down shows mounting bracket.

The only downside I see to the concept is the need to have a permanent mount on the truck near the rear window.

Using a fan pattern laser seems like such a good idea. Per the truck camper video, you get multiple alignment points. I am not sure a red laser would not be just as good, and it's cheaper.

Anyway, seems like a cool concept, and not too expensive.

That's a great idea. I am going to check around and see what other options there are for lasers. Also, I would figure out a way to mount it temporarily using the sliding window or some clip on mechanism.

Ok, just go to ebay or amazon. There are a lot of better solutions than mounting something onto your truck. Some are self leveling, etc. and a lot cheaper. I think you could get a magnetic one, put in in the bed, back up and just remove it before the last few inches.

Really complicated for something relatively simple. I line up the jack legs in my mirrors so the rears are blocked evenly by the fronts. Centers the truck every time and I have less than an inch clearance on either side.

Lou,

Ahhhhh, but the rest of us are mere mortals! :)

Wished that I could be that precise. Laser sighting seems to be a relatively easy and accurate assist to loading.

Phil

2nd what LookyLou says , with a small camper even if you are off a little just use a 2x4 to push over and let it down works for me .

Thinking about the concept further, if I can save 20 minutes of loading time and reduce the risk of a screw up and not need to bother my wife to help me guide the truck, the laser seems like good tool. I think that the red laser would work fine, except for very bright days. My rig is in a garage, so red wouldn't be a problem. If a red laser is used, the cost goes way down.

To refine the concept further, I see no need to permanently mount the laser to the rear window area. Just mark a few spots in the bed as alignment marks, and center the laser and temporarily clamp or use a magnet to keep it in place. Then just back up using the pre-marked spots on the camper. The 60 degree fan laser for under $20 bucks seems like a great concept to me. Total package should be around $40.

A little follow up because I found this nifty laser on Amazon.

Here is a youtube link:
Don't know why the Truckcampermagazine link died.

I bought this laser because: I need one at home anyway--great for hanging multiple pictures, etc. I figure I can clamp in on to the center of the truck at the rear window. Center it with a pre marked center line on the camper bed. And then back up the truck keeping it centered on remarked center lines on the camper. For $50 bucks, it seemed like fun.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

Back
Top Bottom