Camper insurance - mounted full time

cannuk

Advanced Member
Hey all,

I did a couple of searches and was able to find some threads on camper insurance, but I wanted to ask those specifically who have their campers mounted full time. From my research of the options mentioned in the other insurance threads, every company seems to allow only partial mounting. I haven't found an option that specifically allows the camper to be mounted full time. So my question is, those with full time mounting, who do you use? Or are we just taking the "recreation" insurance option and pretending its not on full time?

I have Auto Owners Insurance and their only question was what the value of the camper was. Mine has been on full time for four years. In any case how would they know the time frame of it being on or off?

I have Progressive, and after being given the options, I choose to do a "defined value" option that allows you to pic the value you want to be covered against in case of a full write off. It was actually cheaper (by $10) than the standard insurance rate for the truck alone. Go figure.

Don

-

Mine is on full time. State Farm considers it a load on the truck and as such is fully insured( truck has full coverage) at no additional cost as long as it is mounted.

Mine is on full time. State Farm considers it a load on the truck and as such is fully insured( truck has full coverage) at no additional cost as long as it is mounted.

Full coverage typically does not fully cover loads. "full coverage" typically only covers the cost of the vehicle, though many companies also include some personal property coverage, rental car, etc... A camper generally does not fall in those categories. you are covered for any liability (say it falls off on the highway), but likely not for any replacement cost (even if only partial).

For example I have full coverage on my boat trailer. This covers any liability I have on any load on that trailer (also would be covered by my auto insurance) but it does not pay me for any losses I might incur on that load. So yes I have a fully covered boat trailer, but the boat is not covered (aside from liability).

That said I would not recommend full coverage on a slide on camper anyway. #1 they just aren't that expensive. Yep it would suck to lose it, and your investment in it, but you are losing quite a bit of your investment in it every year anyway, campers have very little intrinsic value. #2 uhh I don't really have one, as it just goes back to #1. My number one rule with any sort of insurance or warranty is don't get it if you #1 don't need it or #2 can* afford to lose it.

*edit I originally said Can't afford to lose it, I meant you should get insurance in that case.

Beach said:
I also have State Farm and have gotten the same. My agent made sure to get it in writing and is keeping it in my file. He doesn't trust them - good advice.

DaveL said:
AAA. On full time, but not a requirement. No additional charge. Just showed them the receipt for value.
Very interesting. Also have AAA, but in Norcal. Mine is full time, listed separately, at additional cost. Thanks for the potential savings opportunity.

DesertDave said:
Very interesting. Also have AAA, but in Norcal. Mine is full time, listed separately, at additional cost. Thanks for the potential savings opportunity.
AAA fulltime, additional cost also. Maybe I should go see Dave's agent.

AAA Norcal for us too, with camper on fulltime. Premium runs about $150.00/yr based on original sales price for full collision and comprehensive coverage with zero deductible.

I recently insured my FWC separate from vehicle and house insurance. ~$300 per year. $20,000 replacement value.
I didn't want the hassle whether it was covered by my home insurance or auto insurance. I'm mainly concerned with theft or a collision. If I take the camper off the truck it's not covered by my auto insurance if it gets stolen. If I get into an accident it's not covered by my home owners insurance.

I want insurance. With a stand alone policy I KNOW I have it.

We are members of Good Sam to have access to enjoy the special auto and RV pricing of a group policy. .

National General Insurance is the carrier. www.nationalgeneral.com. We have been with them over 30 years, have had a few claims they have never raised our rates. We insure all our vehicles with them.

Current Coverage
Bodily injury $250K/$500K Liability
Property Damage $100K each accident
Medical Payments $$10k each person/each accident
Uninsured Motorist $250k each person/$500K each accident
Other than Collision, Collision - $1,000 deductible

We insure the 2013 Tacoma, 2006 Acura, 1988 Suzuki and the 2012 Four Wheel Camper Eagle for $955 every 6 months

Four Wheel Eagle
We declare 8,000 annual milege (bolted to the truck). Replacement value $15,000
6 month premium $64.00

Bill D,
Did you get a separate policy from your auto or homeowners insurance company (or something else entirely)? Thank you.
Brandon

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

abqbw said:
Bill D,
Did you get a separate policy from your auto or homeowners insurance company (or something else entirely)? Thank you.
Brandon

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West
100% separate, that way I know for sure it is covered.

I'm not confident that home owners insurance is going to cover your camper if:
-you get rear ended by someone
-you go on a hike and come back and find your camper or vehicle stolen.

I'm not confident that your auto insurance is going to cover you if:
You have your camper stored in your yard and someone steals it

Did you get the policy from your auto carrier or your homeowners carrier?

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

I am an insurance agent and i would write it as an add on endorsement to your auto policy which would make coverage super cheap. If anyone is interested I can quote you. I am with Farmers Insurance. I can do CA, AZ, & TX

Pax2525 said:
I am an insurance agent and i would write it as an add on endorsement to your auto policy which would make coverage super cheap. If anyone is interested I can quote you. I am with Farmers Insurance. I can do CA, AZ, & TX
I'm in Canada so you likely can't help me, but does the add on policy actually state in writing the issues that I was concerned with up above. I'll paste them below here again.

I'm not confident that home owners insurance is going to cover your camper if:
-you get rear ended by someone
-you go on a hike and come back and find your camper or vehicle stolen.

I'm not confident that your auto insurance is going to cover you if:
You have your camper stored in your yard and someone steals it

I am with USAA. I have called them at least 8 different times over the last 13 years and asked if I need additional coverage. I called them when I got a new camper in April and again when I got a new truck in August. The answer every time has been no, my truck coverage covers the camper.

Back
Top Bottom