Camper Insured?

Mushhuskies

Advanced Member
Hmm, just got my auto insurance bill with a new rider for the camper. Seeing as I have a shell model with a few owner add-ons, I'm contemplating whether or not its worth the premium to keep it insured. When I bought the camper a few years ago I just called the insurance company up and added it over the phone. It didn't amount to much, but now they've sent me a new RV policy with a hefty increase.

So, what do you all do? I definitely see the value of insurance for a new, loaded FWC or ATC, but for a used shell model that by my estimate is probably not worth more than 4k???? And that's before an insurance adjuster steps in and depreciates the hell out of it.

I'm sure I'm missing something here.....feel free to enlighten me!:eek:

I have a Vehicle Endorsement on my truck policy with State Farm and it is not that much extra for our 2001 RANGER FOURWHEEL POP UP.

tough to type on my phone.

My insurance company includes it at no extra cost (USAA).

Others have said similar...

Shop around?

I don't know off hand but will be looking into it once I pick up a camper here so let me know what you find out. :D

How much is the extra premium, Mushuskies? We'll do a little math. If its like $100/yr, I think that's worth it.

My insurer doesn't charge or charges very little since the camper isn't on full time. If it were, they'd probably charge more.

Camper Insurance cont.

Well you're right on the money there Brett....100.00 per year. I haven't read thru the whole policy yet looking at the fine print and honestly half the time I can barely interpret the legalese but some of the items that caught my eye were that belongings in the camper itself were not covered at all. Probably another rider for that. Also, the over the phone valuation may not be acceptable to them and that post incident they may opt to devalue quite abit. I placed the valuation at 4k after doing some rectal extrapolation as I really don't know what its worth. Add in the standard 250/500 deductible too. All pretty much par for the course in the insurance world I think. It went up from 50.00 or so a year so it kinda got my attention. We think the world of Tommy the Tippy Turtle as we call it but am pretty sure the insurer would be less impressed! I guess I always thought that since the truck is fully insured that the contents of the bed would have some coverage, however minimal that might be.

Maybe thats another chat item for those out there that name things eh?

We'll just stick to the insurance topic here for now!!!:rolleyes:

We have ours as a rider on our truck policy. I can't remember how much it costs us a year. It seemed reasonable to me when we set it up though, for what it is worth. Insured through American Family.

Kyle

Camper contents not covered by vehicle insurance

We had a truck stolen years go that had a shell on it. Inside the shell was a lot of camping gear, some dive gear, etc. We camped a lot then as well and left gear in the vehicle much like we do now to cut down on packing time. The vehicle insurance covered the truck and shell, but not the contents that were also lost. However, our homeowner's insurance did cover the contents. I expect it would be the same with a claim on a camper. Just be prepared to show receipts or some form of verification of those contents.

Good topic. I need to call my insurer and see if I'm covered and if not what it would cost. Its a pretty significant investment for me.

In my opinion, $100 is reasonable. Someone hits you or it gets stolen, you get back $3500+. That's 35 years of payback at that rate. You may want the rider for liability purposes too. I can imaging some lawyer saying you didn't have the rv coverage and the weight of the rv caused the accident, so we're suing you. Or some such ridiculous thought along those lines.

Interestingly enough, your homowners might cover the contents if you were out camping during the incident. Wherever you are sleeping, is considered your home for possessions purposes (sometimes). Deductibles apply of course. Check with your agent.

Insured

Mine is covered by a rider on my truck policy..less than $100.00 since it isn't on full time and it's 13 years old.

Insurance

Well, talked with my insurance company (Nationwide) about this change in our policy and they're new procedure is to not do the standard riders anymore and instead cover your RV under a separate policy. As folks renew they switch 'em. I'm sure this is yet another tactic to empty our wallets. But, that is entirely another subject. :mad:

If nothing else, this is a good reminder to review your coverage and see what value you're getting. By the by, it doesn't matter to my company whether the camper is on the rig full time or not. Also, the premium is based on what you say its worth, but the guy pretty much came out and said that you're not gonna get that. You can count on much less unless you have an agreed upon third party appraise the camper and determine that actual worth. Which sounds fair to me until he said that getting this agreed valuation policy incurs extra charges for their expenses on top of the appraisal that you've paid for.

I believe that I am in the market for a new insurer. Have been with this company 22 years. Just the way it goes, I guess.

Nothing earth shattering here but a good refresher nonetheless. Time to surf for insurers!

Back
Top Bottom