Camper more secure with top down?

Bosque Bill

Seems to me if one were to leave camp unattended for a day-long hike in a lonely campground or while boondocking, the camper would be slightly more secure against break-in (or vandalism) with the top in the lower position. I realize it wouldn't take all that much to smash in the side window, but still the vinyl side material seems ripe for mischief.

Or am I being paranoid? (Probably, yes.)

I think a thief would be more likely to break the back window and unlock the door from the inside. The only reason I could envision for cutting the fabric would be to make less noise. One thing for sure, if they want to get in and the top is down, they'll definitely break a window. Just like a house, if they want to get in, they will. If you're that worried about it, install an alarm.

I've never had anything stolen while camping. I'm curious about other's. Also, maybe someone associated with Four Wheel or ATC can let us know if they've ever repaired the fabric that was cut during an act of theft or vandalism.

Also, maybe someone associated with Four Wheel or ATC can let us know if they've ever repaired the fabric that was cut during an act of theft or vandalism.

That would be interesting to know. Hopefully somebody will chime in.

Seems to me if one were to leave camp unattended for a day-long hike in a lonely campground or while boondocking..............................

It is in these situations and areas we feel safest.

I've never had anything stolen while camping. I'm curious about other's. Also, maybe someone associated with Four Wheel or ATC can let us know if they've ever repaired the fabric that was cut during an act of theft or vandalism.

Most thefts that we've seen are at busy trailheads where people are coming and going and items are left in view.

That would be interesting to know.

We agree.

Each of us need to make our own decision on precautions to take. Information from others and building up our own experience base helps.

Thanks for bringing this up Mr. Bill as we are asked this question by other pop up cultists when we travel.

I worry more about bear breaking in than humans in many places we go.

There was a thread a while back discussing which is more secure, camper or truck cab.
Sometimes when we are making quick stops for hikes at more populated trail heads I am concerned.
I've recently worked out lockable storage in my truck cab.

I suspect if someone really is going to break in they will prefer the door, with a familiar lock, compared to the awkwardly high liner.
But that's just a guess. :unsure:

Dunno about on tacoma's and such my the liner on my dodge 2500 didn't start till something like 7' in the air. Seems like it'd be a PITA to try and cut/climb through that...

I think a thief would be more likely to break the back window and unlock the door from the inside. The only reason I could envision for cutting the fabric would be to make less noise. One thing for sure, if they want to get in and the top is down, they'll definitely break a window. Just like a house, if they want to get in, they will. If you're that worried about it, install an alarm.

In the 35 years I've been building and repairing both ATC and FWC I've never seen or heard of a sideliner being cut or damaged due to vandalism

In the 35 years I've been building and repairing both ATC and FWC I've never seen or heard of a sideliner being cut or damaged due to vandalism

Thanks Jeff!

Just like your house,if you make less inviting to break in the better.Don't leave valuable items within sight.I don't even leave the rear steps out if I am waay for a long time.Why give someone the opportunity.
I am not paranoid just want to have a nice trip with as few problems as possible.

As for dropping the top while away,there are some camping places that suggest/require this.
I think the Teklinika campground in Denali is one.At least that was the rumor I heard while there.Since I was going to be away for a long part of the day while I camped in Denali I always dropped the top,just to play it safe.
Frank

I try not to worry about stuff like this. Going on vacation we try to leave the house locked and a porch light on, If we worried too much we'd never leave the house. When leaving the camper we leave the curtains drawn, door locked and outside stuff consolidated. Once again, if we were always worried about it we wouldn't have any fun and we wouldn't explore beyond the camp site. Dropping and raising the top all the time once camped would be a pain in the ass. What will be will be, regardless of your efforts. Go have fun and don't worry about it would be my recommendation.

I try not to worry about stuff like this. Going on vacation we try to leave the house locked and a porch light on, If we worried too much we'd never leave the house. When leaving the camper we leave the curtains drawn, door locked and outside stuff consolidated. Once again, if we were always worried about it we wouldn't have any fun and we wouldn't explore beyond the camp site. Dropping and raising the top all the time once camped would be a pain in the ass. What will be will be, regardless of your efforts. Go have fun and don't worry about it would be my recommendation.

Excellent attitude. My thoughts also.
Frank

Thanks everyone for chipping in on the topic. I'm not going to let my worries keep me from enjoying the camper or a long hike, either. Just wanted to tap into the group to see if there was something obvious that I was missing. If I'm camped I'll probably leave the top up; if I've driven to a trail head, then it will be natural to leave it down.

Has anyone actually had bear problems in the lower 48? I know some of the campgrounds really try to throw a scare into folks about this.

Bill

ain'tTooExcellent attitude. My thoughts also.
Frank

Me too, absolutely. I ain't gonna worry about it. :)

Thanks for the info.

I'm fairly sure a bit screwdriver or small crowbar will get someone in the door fairly easily. I never lower the top when I'm gone. I like to leave the windows open also to keep the air circulating.

The way I see it is if you don't think the area is safe you probably shouldn't be camping there. My driveway is another thing but not much I can do about that (do have a video camera watching my truck so at least I know who to curse).

And to beat a dead horse here: If one was going to worry... I'd think the camper is safer with the top up because there's a possibility that somebody is in there. Of course if they knock or call out an you don't answer, you're either sleeping or gone or ignoring them, but it might make them hesitate a little. And that's about all you can do (if anything) -- make it slightly less appealing to the opportunists.

If a bear wants in and it's a big enough bear, I don't think it matters either way.

My truck came with a factory alarm system but I haven't felt the need to add an alarm system to the camper.
Don't tell anyone......but I added a fake one. Just a flashing led for a couple of bucks for the camper.
Might cause an evil doer to move on to another target.

51-ZY-yRi2L.jpg

Has anyone actually had bear problems in the lower 48? I know some of the campgrounds really try to throw a scare into folks about this.

Nothing is out of the question but I would tend to think its more of an issue for slob campers. Don't leave smelly food out in bear country and then wonder why you've attracted bears...

Back
Top Bottom