Camper on jack stands

buckland

Site Team
I tried searching because I know I have read it here somewhere.... just can't find it! This year I was lucky enough to find a used small 4x6 trailer with 1 Ton rating. Made a couple 4x 6" beams to raise it up enough to clear the back corner (hated to cut the metal. (Squatch has had his on a trailer... used milk crates to raise). My questions has anyone stored them over the winter (6 months here) in the trailer? I have the jack stands on and take the pressure off on each corner more to stabilize it. It is tucked in the barn. This also begs the question.... it's in WTW somewhere I know.... in cold climates best to keep the camper top closed or open (now that I can). I did want to be able to do some mods this winter ...a real treat for me as it has not been accessible in winters until now. Just hop in turn on the heater to knock the chill down and work away! Was hoping to just leave it up. Things do NOT like to be moved at 10 degrees (me neither).
I include a shot of the camper in the barn as well as how I got it there. A front hitch!... man ...zoom backwards and then steer it right in place. Funny when I am on my tractor with a wagon on the back ...I have a suicide knob on the steering ....I don't even think when backing up but for some reason the truck is different. All insights appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_3724.jpg
    IMG_3724.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_3725.jpg
    IMG_3725.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 177
Looks like the perfect set up. I just made a cart and was planing on leaving it on the cart in the garage with the four corner jacks just touching the floor with a little pressure.
I have a front hitch too, amazing when I had to move the boat around the yard (sadly the boat is gone now).

Be diligent on the mice and chipmunks, they are devils around here when the cold sets in, looking for a nice dry place.

I would think that the fabric would best be in the condition that has the least folds in cold weather. Seems to me that would be up.

As to supporting the camper while on the trailer, consider that it rests entirely on the base of the camper in the truck bed. The jack points do nothing for support and depending on brand and lay-out may actually have tension down on those brackets.

I read somewhere that it’s best to keep an Alaskan camper raised up during storage to allow for air circulation to help prevent mold and mildew. I keep mine raised, on an old pop-up trailer frame and in the barn. I don’t put the jacks on, but I do block up the trailer frame to stabilize it and keep some weight off of the tires. I was still getting a little mildew, so I put a small fan in it to move some air around. On my other camper, I put a dehumidifier in it to keep the inside dry and mildew-free.

Attachments

• AKup.JPG
    AKup.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 144
thisoldcamper said:
I read somewhere that it’s best to keep an Alaskan camper raised up during storage to allow for air circulation to help prevent mold and mildew. I keep mine raised, on an old pop-up trailer frame and in the barn. I don’t put the jacks on, but I do block up the trailer frame to stabilize it and keep some weight off of the tires. I was still getting a little mildew, so I put a small fan in it to move some air around. On my other camper, I put a dehumidifier in it to keep the inside dry and mildew-free.
Looks like a 25-27 foot rear bed Airstream right beside the Alaskan. Which model?

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Looks like a 25-27 foot rear bed Airstream right beside the Alaskan. Which model?
It's a 2012 23D that I got this past February. It has a few more creature comforts than the Alaskan - I can carry both at the same time, though :)

The de-humidifier is a good idea but if you can leave it with the top raised and a plain-old end table light with a 60-watt bulb in it, I believe it will generate enough HEAT in there with it closed up to keep any moisture from forming. The electric costs are probably about the same I would imagine. If you find it is too hot in there then add a timer in line to the lamp and let it run only at night or as long as you feel it needs to stay warm.

Hard to believe a light bulb generates that much heat but try holding onto one for very long when you turn on the lamp!

I have found in New England ...I had stored the camper in the garage... top down for 6 years.. if I left the louver window open a crack and also the roof vent an inch... air came and went as did the moisture...Granted we are cold so the humidity can't cause damage. Air flow is the key. My concern was the plastic or rather vinyl siding... worried about cracking and in the past I always undid the roof lock clamps... but now I think I like the idea of leaving it popped up (as I now can in the barn)... as long as the red squirrels stay away!

Looking good Buckland.

I would leave it up since it's inside. My Eagle is dry as a bone when opened. But occasionally gets a little water in the folds when closed. I leave it open in the drive often.

I use "Moth Balls" in an open coffee can in my boats under the cover to keep away rodents. I've been known to do the same with the camper and vehicle parked for long in cold weather. It helps a lot.

Last year I had a squirrel chew on the edge of my plywood base at a turnbuckle opening. No idea why just chewed the edge a bit.

This year mine may just spend the winter on the truck!

Back
Top Bottom