Camper Power

24hoursofnevada

Advanced Member
Hey guys, I'm wiring up my Hawk to my 2001 Ford Super Duty 7.3 liter, which came from the factory with dual batteries. Which battery do I want to pull power from for the 12 volt aux power in the Hawk? The Hawk is a shell model, so the only option inside is the 12 volt outlet.

Thanks

I don't have a Ford, but are your under hood batteries wired in parallel? If so, then it does not matter. You might have a spare fuse position in your main fuse block also. Else attach a breaker or fuse close to your chosen battery.

I don't have a Ford, but are your under hood batteries wired in parallel? If so, then it does not matter. You might have a spare fuse position in your main fuse block also. Else attach a breaker or fuse close to your chosen battery.

Thanks, I think they are in parallel. They are however Ford hooked them up.

Diesels often have 2 batteries in parallel to get the extra cranking power they like to have. I believe the Dodge diesels are that way also, but they are not physically located together so have a fair amount of wire loss during starting. The Dodge hemi version uses the 2nd battery mounting position for an air filter housing bracket.

You should be able to verify they are in parallel by visually tracing the heavy battery cables. Can also use a voltmeter measuring positive posts to chassis (not between the posts).

Diesels often have 2 batteries in parallel to get the extra cranking power they like to have. I believe the Dodge diesels are that way also, but they are not physically located together so have a fair amount of wire loss during starting. The Dodge hemi version uses the 2nd battery mounting position for an air filter housing bracket.

You should be able to verify they are in parallel by visually tracing the heavy battery cables. Can also use a voltmeter measuring positive posts to chassis (not between the posts).

Thanks again, they are in parallel. Since they are, you're saying it doesn't matter which battery I pull from?

Correct either one assuming they are wired with short large diameter cables. If long cables are used (batteries far apart) I might prefer the one closer to the alternator to maximize the voltage reaching the camper battery. If that means significantly longer wiring to the camper, then I would prioritize the shorter run option. The idea is to ensure minimal cable resistance losses on the way to the camper battery. Big cables = less loss. Long cables = more loss. Got a mix, use the shortest small cable diameter you can as that is the weakest link.

Hey guys, I'm wiring up my Hawk to my 2001 Ford Super Duty 7.3 liter, which came from the factory with dual batteries. Which battery do I want to pull power from for the 12 volt aux power in the Hawk? The Hawk is a shell model, so the only option inside is the 12 volt outlet.

Thanks

You 'should' have a prewired fused 12v source with adequate amperage at the back/under neither your truck already, it is in the trailer wiring harness and 'should' be the big fat black wire.

But, as was said before either battery will work fine - just make the shortest run possible to the camper.

Back
Top Bottom