Camper Shell Mod for sleeping (add yours)

iame58

Here is my camper shell conversion.
I first tried the standard bed platform, it did not work well for either storage or headroom given the fact that I have a small Ranger pickup with a cab high Leer shell. My latest attempt is working well though! Rather than storage underneath that is hard to get to, I am using shelves for storage above and sleep on the floor. I built 8"w hardwood shelves for both sides mounted above the bed rail and secured with the 4 canopy shell bolts, then one 22" deep removable shelf for the front that hangs on the side shelves. 4) 4" cushions store well under the front shelf and using a Bedrug on the floor. The front shelf and cushions pop out in seconds leaving the pickup for hauling and other purposes. LED lights, 12v outlet, window fan switch all in one pod unit in the rear. I also added a simple awning that is easy to set up or take down in a couple minutes. Couldn't be happier with this set up for simple camping.
Please, feel free to post your camper shell mods.

Attachments

• 9230543847_3c61031ddc_b.jpg
    9230543847_3c61031ddc_b.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 5,127
Prior to our camper we used a Toyota pickup with a carpet kit. Fortunately our shell was higher in back so we had more room than a cab high shell. I like your set up. But with the bed between the wheel wells and shelves above it, it seems like it would be crowded for two people. You must be traveling solo or have a very friendly/tolerant partner. :giggle:

Thanks....yes, I was concerned about the narrow wheel wells too, but it seems to work okay for the two of us and it is nice to be able to sit up. It is just for an overnight or two now and then, not an extended vacation.

Hey,if it works for you and it looks like it does,than the most important thing is spending time out in the "wilds".
Makes a simple easy to deal with camping unit.
Your "awning/tent" cover on the rear gives you at least some weather protection.Have you thought of using a pop up shade/rain shelter,like the ones used at farmers markets?
You could get carried away and add a small 50W solar with battery and a Truckfridge cooler.
Just some thoughts.
Have fun Frank.

Some good ideas, Frank. Thanks. I had not thought about using one of those shelter tents, inexpensive, easy to set up and provides a good place to put things (always a problem storing stuff!) while camping. We are headed out to the Olympic Peninsula (WA) next week for a couple of days, might have to grab one of those tents at Costco.

We use a Kelty Carport on the back of our truck and back of our Four Wheel. It works better then a awning in the snow and provides protection to the door from the weather.
When I spent a lot of time in the back of my truck I used a simple shelf board that spanned the truck bed rails. It could slide close to me when sitting up to make a great cooking surface or a place for a light and book. Just slide it away when more room is needed.

When on base camp trips in my '84 Xcab with a tall shell I take a cheap Big 5 "Two Person" tent (yeah, right!). Set up the tent and everything that doesn't need to go out on the day's exploration goes in the tent. I sleep in the rear of the truck. On point to point trips that vintage Toyota 4wd sits tall enough that I can stash the plastic boxes, that have to come out for me to sleep in the back, under the truck. Anything that might not want to get drizzled/dripped on goes in the cab.

I long debated enclosing the fenderwells with storage compartments that were vertical to the height of the top of the wells, and then sloped towards the bed rails.

I remember thinking about do something like this when I was several years younger. I never got it done but if I had belonged to a site like this back then I am sure I would have. So cool to see the clever ways our folks manage to make the best of their equipment :)

I had a few action packer totes with all my gear in it. I carried a couple sleeping bags and enough camping stuff for me and my son or my wife. When I was alone I could store the packers on the other side where I slept. It worked but was not great. My wife didn't like to sleep in it unless we were way off the beaten path, no curtains.

Best thing I ever did was to make some curtains out of some of those cheap bunting lap blankets. Dramatically increased the heat retention and my wife's comfort in sleeping in the bed.

Back
Top Bottom