Camper Shipping?

Ramblinman

Does anyone have any experience with shipping a camper by transport truck or by rail. I would like to know how much it would cost to ship across the country? About 3500km or 2200 Miles. Looking at used Camper clear across country.

I'm guessing that you have seen this thread? http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/5114/

If it was near me I'd drive it out to you on my truck. For money of course :cool:

Maybe you'd be able to find someone willing to do that? Best of luck.

If it was near me I'd drive it out to you on my truck. For money of course :cool:

Maybe you'd be able to find someone willing to do that? Best of luck.

Ya, thats one of the options I am looking at. Most of the shipping companies are not interested in shipping truck campers. They are actually hard to handle. I spoke with Stan who advised that it is best to choose someone that is familiar with truck campers as they need to be handled differently. I would feel terrible if it came home damaged. Couple more calls to make (CN). This said I am just preparing my self for the drive. This may not be such a bad option if I turn it in to a camping trip. I have been dying to see NFLD. What better way to explore the Rock than with a FWC. Ottawa will be a heck of a lot closer!

This said, if anyone comes up with any ideas or knows of someone driving West that wants to make some$$$$$. Drop me a line! Sadly I have used up most of my time off doing other stuff so it will be tough for me to get out there

If I had the time, it sounds like it would be a great trip. Where is the trailer now?

So... Denver Colorado to the trailer then to Alberta.

This may not be such a bad option if I turn it in to a camping trip. I have been dying to see NFLD. What better way to explore the Rock than with a FWC. Ottawa will be a heck of a lot closer!

The rock, highly recommended for FWC's!
1029861384_HQFU6-S.jpg

If I had the time, it sounds like it would be a great trip. Where is the trailer now?

So... Denver Colorado to the trailer then to Alberta.

No trailer ... the camper is sitting at a friends acreage just south of Ottawa. I was hoping to get it on a trailer ... somehow. Other than the shippers ... everyone is suggesting I do not let a fork lift touch it. I found one shipper that will put it on a trailer but I would have to supply the fork lift. I am also considering buying a cheap half ton in Ottawa to drive it up on the trailer to prevent damage from the Fork Lift. I could 86 the truck when it got Alberta.

They quoted me 1600.00 to Saskatoon and 2200.00 to Edmonton.

The rock, highly recommended for FWC's!
1029861384_HQFU6-S.jpg

Judging by the pic ... it is recommended for dogs to! Cant wait to get my mutts in the FWC!

Judging by the pic ... it is recommended for dogs to! Cant wait to get my mutts in the FWC!

Took all three across the country and the Gulf of St. Lawrence, hope to get back next May, want me to haul yours back then?
1029837573_NB6wD-S.jpg

I road tripped to get mine. It was only one full days drive away, but I was seriously considering driving 2/3's across the country to buy one until the right one for me showed up closer. As luck would have it my girlfriend's best friend from childhood was currently living in the same area so we kind of killed two birds with one stone by visiting as well as having a free place to sleep for a couple nights.

I will ask one question though. If you don't have time to go get it, then will you have time to use it?

[quote name='gandhii' date='21 November 2011 - 05:48 AM' timestamp='1321854498' post='59985'
I will ask one question though. If you don't have time to go get it, then will you have time to use it?
[/quote]

Lol! That is a great question! I guess with my crazy reasoning ... my time off is important to me and in my eyes it is worth money. I am fortunate to take lots of time off at work. Generally I earn the time off by banking my overtime (I work overtime during the months I am generally not off galavanting). In 2008 I was fortunate enough to take 4 months off. I am very careful how I take the time off and what I use it for. I put a dollar value on it. In my mind my time off is worth double my wage because I need the time to conduct the activities that I am passionate about.

So, when I calculate the the costs of fuel, wear n tear, lodging and the grueling drive, In my eyes I must also consider taking my Vacation or banked time off to get the job done when I could hire someone to bring the camper to me.

I do appreciate the fact that the camper could be damaged,lost or stolen and that must be entered in the equation.

This is my dilemma!

Back
Top Bottom