Camper step

Wow, nice rear end d2! Did you also add the folding steps on the back of the camper yourself? Where did you get them?

Extremely strong and I like how it is flush with the bumper step making a nice big step.

It funny. This came with my used Hawk and the guy who gave it to me had it custom made for his Ford and it didn't sit flush with the step on his Ford. I guess the welder must have drove a GMC :)

Attachments

• JASPER JAN 2016 - 1.jpg
    JASPER JAN 2016 - 1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 397
We have a simple $75 hitch cargo rack that is a perfect step height for us and the dogs plus soggy wetsuit storage!ImageUploadedByWander The West1455725164.898813.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

dharte said:
Harbor freight sells a hitch extension with a built in step. I got one and it works great and it was only about $30.
Could you please post a picture of it?

Bill D said:
Extremely strong and I like how it is flush with the bumper step making a nice big step.

It funny. This came with my used Hawk and the guy who gave it to me had it custom made for his Ford and it didn't sit flush with the step on his Ford. I guess the welder must have drove a GMC :)
This looks like one by Brophy: https://www.etrailer.com/Truck-Bed-Accessories/Brophy/RHS2.html
Bosque Bill had his Brophy modified to improve it. http://bosquebill.blogspot.com/2014/02/camper-steps-modification.html

Paul

I haven't had mine modified. Bosque Bill is correct in that the bottom step gets in the way and eats shins. I've backed into a couple of parking spots where the landscaping was elevated above curb height and dug up some earth.

I am seeing a welder in a couple of weeks to modify my factory aluminum roof rack to support another solar panel, I've printed out several of Bill's photos to see if the welder can modify the steps, also.

Brophy is in the Portland Oregon area. I called them about making that mod but they were not interested. :(

Paul

I bought the 2-step Brophy from the dealer when I picked up the camper. We got a cargo basket and the 2-step was a pain to fit in the basket not to mention the weight. We bought the plastic rubbermaid. We also just bought the Rakattack swing out so the basket can be moved out of the way. Jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

I make my step. 1" sq tube for steps and frame of 2" sq, used anti slip tape on the top of the steps. used a 2x3 sq tube to bring top step to the same height as the bumper step.

IMG_1019.jpgIMG_1021.jpg

PaulT said:
+1

Wish I'd thought if it. Even had an old unused ball mount.

Paul
It's what I had lying around and it's been working fine for 6 years now. I did replace the 2x4 once though.

These are all great and ingenious ideas for steps with no tailgate ,
What do ya'll do for steps when you leave your tailgate on ?
Currently using a small step stool on a Ranger/Eagle, and it works fine, a step would be better.

What is anyone using for a step on a 3/4 ton Ram with a Grandby with the tailgate down (short bed, 8 foot camper)? I am currently using a small step ladder but want something a bit more solid.

I have a Ram 2500 and I bought a Rubbermaid 2-step stool at my local big box store. It works great but does take up a bit of room in the camper.

I had also looked at the Range Kleen SS2 folding step. It folds flat for storage, but it's also about an inch shorter (17.5" vs. 18.8"), so while I like the folding step design, the Rubbemaid continues to serve me well.

Thanks EDR. My Ram is not lifted but I still need (IIRC) 41" to the floor of the truck bed. I think I will try something like Bosque Bill's or Bill Harr's step. Probably need 3 steps. The hunt continues.....

Back
Top Bottom