Camper Steps

FreezingMan

Advanced Member
I'm wondering what type of steps people use to get in and out of their camper. I've been using a small step ladder but I'm thinking a receiver hitch step might be a better option. I've got a FWC Fleet mounted to Tacoma long bed. Any thoughts and pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

there are a set of pictures in my gallery...my steps are built on a platform which slips into the receiver and the steps clear the tailgate when folded in. It took a little re-engineering on the step set...but it was worth the time. The steps also extend the receiver back to the rear for towing the boat...also cut apart and re-engineered to fit in the folded steps and retain the tongue weight.

Freezing man there was a good post on steps during the past 4-6 months.

Truck, Truck Accesories, Camper Steps, the original post by Nikonron on January 12, 2016, last posted June 2, 2016.

Scroll to June 2nd to find it. jd

This is not a great photo, but here is another option for steps - half of a little giant step ladder (ignore the rug we were airing out):
IMG_1206.jpg

Very wide stable steps at a relaxed angle, and they fold flat for storage.

I use a reciever hitch 2 step, modified with larger treads and astroturf. The beagle didn't like the narrow, slippery, black painted tread. It is a little heavy (steel), but it's solid and with my modification doesn't rock. I pull it out and set it inside the door when traveling.

rear steps.jpg

Depending on terrain the first step can be a little tall. If I had my choice I would want a 3 step. This one was a thrift store find.

jim

Bill D said:
Jim, what did you do to prevent it from rocking within the receiver? Mine has a little rock, but I never bothered to deal with it.
I added a slimmed 2X4 to the bottom of the top step that rests on the bumper. It is a snug fit but slides on easy enough. I made a clamp like PaulT shows and it is rock solid, but I remove my steps every time I move, so it was just something extra to deal with. The clamp is easy enough to make: a square U bolt from a hardware store, a short section of pipe with two holes cut, and a couple of wing nuts. Sorry I don't have a picture of mine; a friend is using it for towing his ice house.

step bottom.jpg step side.jpg

jim

I see... thanks for sharing.
I'll have to come up with a different creative solution as I will not be adding stair treads etc.
I'll have to look at shimming the receiver, or something like that.

The clamp that PaulT showed works very well and is simple to make. Steps didn't wobble at all when clamped. It only takes a minute to install or remove; I'm just lazy.

jim

I took a solution sold by some companies as a 2-step hitch solution and cut off the bottom step (because for rough roads, it might hit the ground). I ADDED a brush. I find that when camping I have a lot of pine needles or snow. I need to get this off the boots. I love that brush! So practical.
Chris

Attachments

• Step.jpg
    Step.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 292
I have the Brophy Hitch step. I've been pretty pleased with it. Especially since I added some traction tape on the tread surface and some red reflective tape to the edges.

It doesn't block the license plate and I normally drive with it installed unless I'm towing or driving rough FS roads. Just be careful about backing into high curbs and such.

https://www.amazon.com/CR-Brophy-Machine-Works-RHS2/dp/B001U7FSSQ

This anti rattle device is almost perfection. I love it and ordered it with the step. I like it so much I just ordered another for my other hitches. Just need a couple of seconds with a 3/4" socket to install or remove.
https://www.amazon.com/StowAway-Tightener-Anti-Rattle-Stabilizer-Hitches/dp/B0001CMUV4/ref=pd_lpo_263_bs_tr_img_2/156-3415393-3580800?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5SKN8QFQ7TDDSW7EDQ6Y

Squatch, I have the exact same set of stairs. I like them.
That anti rattle device looks good. Thx.

My stairs do not obstruct my plate either. That being said, do you think there is a chance of getting a ticket, by driving with them on the truck. I noticed you put reflective tape. I'm sure that would help in avoiding a ticket, but I'm not sure what the law is. Yes I realize it may vary from state to state, province to province.

What's the difference between running a step and a hitch hauler in the receiver? I just did a 5 state trip of over 2,000 miles and never had a Cop look twice at the steps. Though I'm sure there is always someone out there who wants to be a bonehead.

The harbor freight hitch extension with step works perfectly for me. I had the double step Brophy model but it went down too far and would bottom out. I added a hitch tightener (basically a square shaped U-bolt) to completely eliminate any free play.

Back
Top Bottom