Camper storage - up or down?

Captm said:
I won't know how the water got in until I remove the head liner and insulation.

Damn sorry to hear of that mess...PA does get one hell of a lot of weather!

Phil

Outside, covered with fleece backed roofing to allow airflow between the roof and material and tarped with the sides tented out and open around the sides. A couple of containers of dry-rite inside. I check it every couple of weeks.

Wow Captm, so sorry you have to deal with that.....

I have a friend who does a lot of auto auctions and there is a 4W Hawk waiting to come up with the note on it about water damage. Looked at the pics and the vent is open.... Who leaves a vent open????? Told him I wasn't interested. It's been sitting outside for maybe 4 to 6 months with an open vent and I am not into paying money for a rebuild I would have to pay a lot more money to get done.....

Might have been interested had that not been the case.....

Water is your friend and enemy......

Happyjax said:
Wow Captm, so sorry you have to deal with that.....

I have a friend who does a lot of auto auctions and there is a 4W Hawk waiting to come up with the note on it about water damage. Looked at the pics and the vent is open.... Who leaves a vent open????? Told him I wasn't interested. It's been sitting outside for maybe 4 to 6 months with an open vent and I am not into paying money for a rebuild I would have to pay a lot more money to get done.....

Might have been interested had that not been the case.....

Water is your friend and enemy......
Do you have any more info on the auction, pictures, etc. of this? For the right price, I might be interested depending on the damage.

One primary reason I bought a 4WC is because I can just squeak it into my garage (8' doors) on my F350, and it can be opened up inside.

I can pop it to dry it out, if necessary, after a trip. It's easier to clean when it is popped up. It stays out of the sun. I can partially finish a project and go back to it whenever I want, without worrying about sealing it back up, putting things away, etc. I had a leak once, caused by one screw not being fully sealed. I found it when camping in the rain, and the issue was limited to a couple days exposure, not weeks like some of the folks in this thread have had to deal with, storing their campers outdoors.

My first camper was a 4WC and I didn't appreciate the advantages until I bought a hardside and had it leave it outdoors. I hate spending more time on maintenance than I do on enjoyment, and by storing inside a garage out of the elements, I avoid that concern.

I vote for covered storage if you realistically have that option.

My take would be to give yourself the option to open it. This give you space to air the camper out and do work if needed out of the weather.

I stored mine under a tarp for a few months and got some mildew on the wood base. With the solar installed it stays out in the weather. I open it often and leave it that way for a few days in mild weather. Mold and mildew can happen quickly if it gets started.

I was told when I got my 2015 Granby that when stored outside leave top down and when stored indoors leave it up. I keep mine in a garage on a tall dolly that almost matches the truck bed height. That way I don't whack my head on the cab over and I have a comfortable height workbench when the camper is on the truck.

Captm,

Did you ever figure out the source of the water in your camper?

I suspect condensation if you live in a climate where freezes at night. We live in Solvang, CA and the temp outside often drops into the low 30's and high 20's at night here in the Winter.

I recently opened up our camper after storing outside this year (I have previously kept it stored in the garage but moved it out when I bought some woodworking machinery last year - big mistake),

It had condensation in one corner over the bed on the side facing East (but I don't think orientation is the issue).

The condensation allowed some black mold to grow (mainly on the pop up panel but a bit in the canvas and a fair amount on the matteress foam).

I was able to get some MoldBlaster from a friend and that worked well to kill the mold and clean things up. There are a couple of places where the fake woodgrain paper has degraded and there is a minor stain about 3" x 6" on the grey "canvas" material but otherwise things look OK except for the mattress foam.

The foam was not adequate for us anyway so we will simply replace it. Camper no longer looks like new inside which is disappointing but at least it is not seriously damaged.

I finished cleaning up the "Canvas" with 303 Cleaner and Protectant (as usual).

My best guess is that the freezing at night coupled with the warming in the morning is causing condensation on the Aluminum roof structure inside the camper and the condensed moisture is running to the lowest corner and getting trapped when the top is down.

Camper is a June 2007 build (from the MFG plate) Keystone and I need to find out if there is a way to fill the Aluminum tubing with insulating foam to minimize this risk going forward.

As I wrote previously the best way to store is open and inside. That is the way I used to do this and never previously had any issues until now. Lesson learned. Sigh!

BTW: The MoldBlaster is great stuff and works well.

Regards,

Craig

I store mine inside and up to keep things aired out.

Also, store your camper with the water tank empty. I used to store mine full with a capful of bleach. A slow leak occurred and did some damage. All fixed now.

I store mine down not by choice. This last time I noticed a tiny pinhole in one corner. All that flexing is finally having an impact.

Thanks for the warning about the water tank.

I have wondered if it is best for the struts to store the camper in a raised position.

captainphx said:
I store mine inside and up to keep things aired out.

Also, store your camper with the water tank empty. I used to store mine full with a capful of bleach. A slow leak occurred and did some damage. All fixed now.

Where was the 'slow leak' you mentioned and how was it repaired?

Thanks...Phil

Back
Top Bottom