Camping Appetizers?

shoestring

Advanced Member
Anyone have any favorites...when it's just my wife and I, we usually keep happy hour pretty simple - homemade guac/chips, chees/crackers, etc.

We are camping with a bunch a families this weekend (about 14-16 adults and 12 children) and we are bringing apps...

I generally like anything prosciutto-wrapped (figs, mellon, etc.) and know that we will be making guac and bringing chips. Will also likely pick up some nice cheeses and meats and may do a smoked salmon/cream cheese/herb cracker...

Any simplish ideas?

I do a couple of group trips. My go to apps are quesadillas, either chicken, steak or carnitas. I also go with the frozen teriyaki skewers, depending on group size either hand them out or break them up into bite size with toothpicks. I've also done english muffin pizzas.

Kids are usually happy with a plain cheese quesadilla. Depends on how much work you want to go to. I've seen deep fried beer battered wings, but thats a pain (and it for a really big group). Bacon wrapped cheese filled peppers. A little pre prep at home helps a lot for certain things.

I'll keep it simple.

A block of cream cheese, dump shrimp or crab in cocktail sauce on top, place Wheat Thins in a bowl.
Use Wheat Thins to scoop up cream cheese, cocktail sauce and shrimp/crab.
Yum, and virtually no preparation time.

shoestring,

I usually tend to go with nice cheeses, smoked salmon, and crackers like you mentioned. But right now I have tomatoes and basil in the garden. So my go to this time of the year simply bruschetta and a baguette. If you don't have fresh garden grown tomatoes, get some good tomatoes at a farmer's market. They have so much better flavor than store bought. Make up the bruschette in advance and just bring it in a tupperware. Put it out with a spoon and bread slices and let people self serve. Doesn't get much easier.

Ted

Ted said:
shoestring,

I usually tend to go with nice cheeses, smoked salmon, and crackers like you mentioned. But right now I have tomatoes and basil in the garden. So my go to this time of the year simply bruschetta and a baguette. If you don't have fresh garden grown tomatoes, get some good tomatoes at a farmer's market. They have so much better flavor than store bought. Make up the bruschette in advance and just bring it in a tupperware. Put it out with a spoon and bread slices and let people self serve. Doesn't get much easier.

Ted
yeah ted, we do this a lot too...fresh tomatoes, basil and good fresh bread are hard to beat.

ski3pin said:
trail mix
i think we would catch a ton of slack if we were tasked with bringing apps and showed up with trail mix...not that i don't love it, but i don't think it works for this purpose : )

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Wild Hickory Nuts, worked for Euell Gibbins.

Frank
had to wikipedia that one...not surprising as he died the year i was born.

anyway, decided to go with guac/chips, some meats wrapped around mozz, and the salmon/cream/crackers...

looking forward to trying the cheese/shrimp mix and the pretzel bits in the future.

shoestring said:
i think we would catch a ton of slack if we were tasked with bringing apps and showed up with trail mix..<snip>
We never caught any slack, we are just never tasked with showing up with appetizers anymore. ;)

Just be careful. Appetizers have turned into a competition at two of my trips. Not necessarily a bad thing either :)

We ended up going with guac/chips, some meats wrapped around mozz, salmon/cream cheese/crackers and homemade humus with veggies...I think that the meat/cheese and salmon/cream cheese/crackers were the favs...

I do a 2 hr hot smoked salmon with 12 hr dry brine. Goes well with crackers, cappers and thin slices of onions. Surpassingly, the best crackers for this app are Ritz crackers.

Halved jalapeños filled with cream cheese and wrapped with bacon is another favorite

Lastly, "bowl of fat" - block of cream cheese and 1 can of dennison's chill, gently warmed up. Dip with thick & crispy Casa Sanchez chips

Peanut Butter Tacos - quick to make and delicious, must be eaten warm.

Heat a corn tortilla on a comal or heavy frying pan until pliable. Spread with a thin coat of peanut butter. Drizzle on some maple syrup or your favorite jam or jelly. Add several drops of your favorite hot sauce. Roll it up and enjoy.

Doesn't get any more Spanglish than that.

super doody said:
I do a 2 hr hot smoked salmon with 12 hr dry brine. Goes well with crackers, cappers and thin slices of onions. Surpassingly, the best crackers for this app are Ritz crackers.Halved jalapeños filled with cream cheese and wrapped with bacon is another favoriteLastly, "bowl of fat" - block of cream cheese and 1 can of dennison's chill, gently warmed up. Dip with thick & crispy Casa Sanchez chips
Try the salmon and cream cheese with tamed jalopeños. Fantastic!

e58b385980db1496eee8a15fd68e871a.jpg

Costco carries this dip. The first time I tried it was at work with our Christmas munchies. OMG is it good. Very flavourful.

Back
Top Bottom