Camping in the Canadian Rockies?

Good thread, thanks for all the info. How much does visitation drop in the parks like Banff and Jasper during September?

BackBeyond said:
Good thread, thanks for all the info. How much does visitation drop in the parks like Banff and Jasper during September?
I don't go to Banff, but I go to Jasper all the time. Drop off is huge come Sept. There are so many campsites to begin with and they are are relatively spread apart. You may not see your fellow campers while at your site. There are also lots of trees.

BTW, even if the campground were full, camping in Jasper is quite enjoyable. Again, lots of trees and space between the sites. Usually I bring a small tent to throw my junk into. Positioning it between your campfire and the nearest neighbours campfire is all that is usually need for near total privacy. A small 4X8 tarp would do just as well.

In my opinion, the best camping in Jasper starts in Sept and ends in May. The high tourist season is still awesome (May -Aug). Fall is spectacular though. The changing colours, the water gets nice and green and you practically have the park to yourself. Truly amazing.

BillD is right. Nobody in the parks after the high tourist season. And chances are good that even now there is lots of room during the week. Weekends are nuts.

Banff is less busy from September on, as well as Jasper. The big campground near the townsite (Tunnel Mountain) can stay kinda busy and is REAL busy for the Thanksgiving Long Weekend (October 8-10th). I've camped at Mosquito Creek in the autumn and found it very uncrowded.

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom