Camping in the heat

brett13

Lovecock
I will be picking up the camper in Reno this weekend and driving east back to Denver, camping along the way. Temps are supposed to be in the high 90's, maybe 100. Lows in the mid 60s. So, I am curious what you do when driving in the sun in these temps? I imagine the camper gets pretty hot in this situation, so do you keep the window and vent open while driving? Is there a trick to cooling it off? Thanks.

The camper stays at a decent temp as long as the top is down, once you pop the top it becomes an oven when it's hot out. When I travel with my dogs I leave the front slider open as well as the roof vent and side louver window cracked, works pretty well. But no matter what if it's blazing hot outside, it's pretty misserable in the camper.

I leave the front sliding window open about 3-4 inches and the side window I open just enough to keep pulling the air through when driving in high temps.

It doesn't really get that bad.

Boy, I don't know Brett. You could try one of these kooleraire fans that pulls the air out of your cooler :D and carry lots of ice.

Let me know how it works...

Attachments

• kooleraire.gif
    kooleraire.gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 586
Last September I toured Northern Arizona and Southern Utah then on to Colorado. The temperature ranged from 104 in Las Vegas to 34 in Colorado. I would camp at the higher altitudes and tour the lower sights during the day. This wasn't the most time efficient but I slept in the cool mountains at night. The camper cools off fast when the windows are open.

You can leave Reno charge across Nevada to sleep at the state line. Then charge across Utah to sleep in Grand Junction. I can testify that the Walmart on North AV will give you a bad nights sleep. Then on to the Front Range. Congratulations on the new camper. Of course pics are required.

Cheers,

Mike

i've never really had that much of a problem in the camper...just need to wake up early, camp in the shade (when possible) and sleep naked! :D , sorry, that was a little much...getting late!

Pam and I were in Bluff UT on the San Juan River last August. We have a 12volt mister that helps a lot but by noon it was 105+. Time to jump into the truck and go exploring. By 5 or so it started to cool down and in the evening it was really nice. We practiced the clothing optional method and the only people we saw by our camp site was the daily rafting trip from Bluff to Mexican Hat at 8AM. A quick lap towel and we were decent. We had to buy ice every 3 days and enjoyed the occasional tequila with lemonade and OJ.

Yeah, the front slider is great

Like others, I have found that keeping the front slider open is a great way to keep the camper at, or near ambient temperature, especially when driving. I also have a rear slider on the truck, so in hot weather I keep both windows open and both the cab and the camper remain almost close to outside air temperature. Though it does help to have a white truck.

Like others, I have found that keeping the front slider open is a great way to keep the camper at, or near ambient temperature, especially when driving. I also have a rear slider on the truck, so in hot weather I keep both windows open and both the cab and the camper remain almost close to outside air temperature. Though it does help to have a white truck.

Does leaving the slider open also allow bugs in while driving? The airflow up over the hood then between the cab and the cabover might direct the "bug flow" right into the camper? Or does that simply not happen?

No bugs yet

I haven't had any bugs enter the truck while driving. I do find lots of dead bugs on the front of the camper. I guess the air flow is fast enough coming past the cab that they hit the camper before the air is diverted through the slider(s).

Another great thing about leaving the front slider open is it creates high pressure in the camper..When on dusty roads, especially the Baja moon dust, it forces air out of all the little crevices that the dust likes to enter through.

We just returned from the moon dust capital of Baja. Did about 300 miles of offroad driving with no dust in the camper!! In the cab of the old Toyota??thats a different story. Nothing a cold Corona can't wash down(trip report to come)...

heat

The slider is a great idea to open and the previous posts state why. I have driven in the rain from Woodland to San Francisco with the slider open and no water in the camper. I don't understand the physics of how this happens, it just works.

I do not suggest to drive with the top vent open. On most of the campers this will result in losing the vent cover. The side window can be opened also a bit if you are not driving in bad weather.

Front slider

Yes the front window will come out and go in just like the screen door. Just need to know the size of the window though. Might have a problem getting the size that you have. I don't know if they are still making it or not. Will have to check if you send me the size. The size to send would be the hole opening on the inside of the camper.

I kick on the Honda 3000 and than turn on my A/C. I know it's roughing it, but some of us still like dry camping with a little too much comfort.

I have a roof vent cover like maxx air and leave the vent open all the time. The only down side is that it raises the profile a little. Ina parking garage I had to air down my air bags to get under a support beam but that's the only time it mattered.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom