Camping Monterey and southward late February

DavidGraves

Howdy

Forming a framework for travel late February from Pacific Grove southward....

Any ideas of simple non hookup overnight camping spots....?

We are generally heading toward Carrizo Plains and then East...

PM me if you are shy about sharing secrets !

Many thanks

David Graves

David there are 2 NF campgrounds along Hwy 1 south of Big Sur.Kirk Creek overlooking the ocean,
and Plaskett Creek about 5 miles further south.

Also the San Simeon campground (Washburn) is a nice spot.
Up on the hill about a 1/2 mile from the ocean.You can hear the surf from your campsite.

Montana del Ore SP a few miles south of Morro Bay is a small camp on the cliffs above the ocean.

There is another NF site on Hwy 41 east of Morro Bay,Cerro Acto small seemed like a quite spot
back in 2010 as I drove through. Also the Morro Strand beach by the "rock. Just a gravel parking area on the ocean.

There is the Veterans campground in Monterey above the city hall and Colton Hall ,take Jefferson st.uphill and it comes to the cg.

Have fun.
Frank

I looked at the Los Padres N F site and there certainly are a lot of CG's.

Now, when do those Monarchs start to leave ?????????

Already have...they suggest generally the end of Feb. from the Monterey area.

I second Veterans' Memorial in Monterey, probably as a good starting point for your way south. Once we even met up with Frank when we stayed there. :) First learned about it when doing my SCUBA check out dives in Monterey many years ago. It is a city park in town but the park ranger lives on the grounds so we have never had issues with unruly people there. No reservations as far as I know but we have always been able to get a spot if we arrived by mid afternoon.

Howdy

I wondered if anyone is familiar with this web site or with the assorted areas in "Central California" ?

https://www.discover-central-california.com/

The material presented seems to resonate with the kind of visit we are looking for...at least some of it.
We are primarily into history and natural history.

David Graves

Dave a little farther afield,but in our area is Pinnacles NP.
West side easy entrance for day use.East side has a nice campground but more out of the way.
The west side is a great day use for hikes and viewing the condors.
How long are you planning for our area?
Frank

Hi Frank

We had noticed Palisades....

Will likely take 4-5 days in the central area...trending southward...

You would enjoy the Pinnacles but unless you were to travel US 101
they are out of the way and take a lot of time from other areas.

While in Monterey , IF YOU DON"T HAVE A DOG the Pt. Lobos SP is beautiful spot for a couple hours of walks.
I mention dogs as they aren't allowed in the park even in your vehicle.

Also a nice "historic "SP is Limeklin SP around the 2 NF campgrounds. south of Big Sur.
I just checked and it's open for camping but the trails are closed.The best spots for our rigs are sites 1through 12.
They are on the ocean side under the bridge.
I think you might be able to get a site near the end of the month.There was some openings just checked.
Frank

Carmel, SLO, San Juan Batista,it's a whole town built around the mission,like a western movie set.
A cool one is San Antonino but like the Pinnacles it's off the beaten path,
Another seldom visited one.Also along US 101 is San Miguel.

In Monterey is the old Presidio chapel now the Monterey Cathedral.
Fully restored right in downtown,and free.

Lots of things to see so little time though.
Frank

Hello Again

Is anyone here familiar with CA 152 crossing westward from Los Banos to the coast ?

Wondering if there are any public lands for a single overnight .....

Pacheco State park is on 152 but apparently no camping.

Looking for something simple, park and sleep, after a mad dash down from N. Oregon

David Graves

David,

Hwy 152 from Gilroy to Watsonville is a somewhat scenic winding road called Hecker Pass Rd. It passes through rural farmland and larger single family lots. It has been a number of years since I have driven it so not sure if there has been any recent building development (I suspect not a lot).

I do not recall any places to spend the night on that section. There is a day use area near the top of the grade.

On the stretch of Hwy 152 from I-5 to GIlroy (Pacheco Pass Rd) the only campgrounds are on the East side between the lake and I-5 (I have never used them) but not sure what is open.

See: https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=30712

the is a pdf link to a campground map on this page: https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=558

P.S. The terrain and climate in this area is dry semi-arid similar to Carrizo Plain.

I hope this is helpful,

Craig

Thanks Craig

We have decided to delay a few days during this wacko cold weather........Thanks for the local insight.

Eager to see the central coast !

David Graves

Back
Top Bottom